Olympic Sprinter Yasmeen Al Dabbagh to Saudi Girls: Run After Your Dreams

Saudi Arabia's Yasmeen Al-Dabbagh competes in the women's 100m heats during the World Athletics Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 16, 2022. (AFP)
Saudi Arabia's Yasmeen Al-Dabbagh competes in the women's 100m heats during the World Athletics Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 16, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Olympic Sprinter Yasmeen Al Dabbagh to Saudi Girls: Run After Your Dreams

Saudi Arabia's Yasmeen Al-Dabbagh competes in the women's 100m heats during the World Athletics Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 16, 2022. (AFP)
Saudi Arabia's Yasmeen Al-Dabbagh competes in the women's 100m heats during the World Athletics Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 16, 2022. (AFP)

Full of confidence and with a broad smile on her face, Saudi Olympic sprinter Yasmeen Al Dabbagh answered all of the journalists' questions after having competed in the 18th World Athletics Championship held in Eugene, Oregon.

"It's been a wonderful experience," she told AFP, noting that it's a novel experience for "Women from the Gulf in general and Saudi women in particular."

This is the second time Al Dabbagh has taken part in an international competition. Her debut on the world stage came at last summer's Tokyo Olympics, where she competed in the 100m race and finished ninth in her series after crossing the finish line in 13.34 seconds. She later broke her personal record during the GCC Games in May, when she finished the race in 12.90 seconds, coming fifth.

Although Al Dabbagh finished the third qualifying series in seventh and last place with a time of 13.21 seconds, ending her first adventure at the world stage early, Al Dabbagh said she was delighted to have been in the same series with Jamaican Elaine Thompson-Herah, who topped the series with a time of 11.15 seconds and reached the semi-finals. Israeli athlete Diana Weissman was in the same series, finishing fifth with a time of 11.29 seconds, but Al Dabbagh chose not to comment on the matter.

The 24-year-old preferred to talk about her performance and future, saying: "This is only the beginning, and things will get better. This is the first time that I take part, and it certainly won't be the last."

Al Dabbagh became only the sixth Saudi woman to take part in the Olympic Games, following in the footsteps of track and field athlete Sarah Attar and the judoka Wejdan Shahkhani, who had participated in the London Olympics, as well as the fencer Lubna Al-Omair, the sprinter Kariman Abu Al-Jadayel, and judoka Jude Fahmy, who had competed at Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

In Tokyo, Al Dabbagh told reporters that "who you rub shoulders is the most important thing, especially when you are competing with world and Olympic champions such like Jamaican Elaine Thompson-Herah. This level of competition is what you need to develop."

Al Dabbagh was sick with Covid-19 a month before the contest in Eugene, but she refused to use it as an excuse to justify her performance.

She said: "I got Covid a month ago, and it certainly affected my training, but this is not an excuse. This is a major tournament that requires intense training, immense effort, and intense focus."

"Throughout the year, I exercise six days a week and push myself extremely hard. The goal had been to get a good number today, but I did not succeed. God willing, the next one will be better." Al Dabbagh, who is currently training in the United States, where she lives and studies at university, confirmed that her goal for the future is to win a medal.

She urged her female compatriots to play sports and follow the example of male athletes in order to excel, improve the status of Saudi women, and raise the flag of their country in international competitions.

She added: "God willing, the women of Saudi Arabia will also participate in all sports and run after their dreams without fear."

Kuwaiti runner Mudhawi Al-Shammari, 24, did just that, though she left empty-handed from the first round of the 100m race, coming seventh in the first group qualifiers (11.91s).

She told the press: "I am happy to be a Gulf Arab woman competing at the world stage. I encourage all girls with a talent for sports to embrace it and pursue a career in this field."

"My ambition is to take part in more world championships, break more Kuwaiti records, and win medals in Arab and Asian competitions."



Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Manchester City boss Enzo Maresca has suffered a blow on the eve of the Premier League season after Belgium winger Jeremy Doku was ruled out for several weeks.

Doku will miss City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth with a calf injury and is unlikely to return for up to three weeks.

The 24-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of City's 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Community Shield in Cardiff last weekend, AFP reported.

Doku's absence is a significant setback for former Chelsea boss Maresca as he starts his first season in charge at City after replacing Pep Guardiola in the close-season.

"At the moment the only one out is Jeremy Doku," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"Unfortunately in the last game, at half-time, he was complaining about a little bit of pain in his calf.

"The idea with him was to play 45 minutes anyway, so the change was planned, but at the moment it looks like two or three weeks, no more than that."

After hosting Bournemouth, Maresca's side travel to Crystal Palace, then face Coventry before the derby at Manchester United.

 

 

 

 


Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday insisted his team's star players could fit together ahead of Los Blancos' opening La Liga game at Espanyol.

Mourinho's predecessors Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa struggled to strike a balance between attack and defense while lining up with Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

Madrid won the Champions League in 2024 with England international Bellingham and Brazilian winger Vinicius playing key roles, but since French superstar Mbappe arrived that summer, the club have not lifted a major trophy.

"They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players," Mourinho told reporters.

"Tactically, it could be tricky. Ancelotti has found a set-up with Brazil perfect for Vini, (Didier) Deschamps has found one with France perfect for Kylian, (Thomas) Tuchel one perfect for Jude, it's harder for Mourinho to do it for the three of them.

"We're on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch... they are three players of great quality.

"They don't play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them."

However, Madrid's stars can consider themselves warned -- they must contribute in defense this season.

"We have to defend with 11 players," said Mourinho.

"If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend."


Spurs Reported to Have Agreed £75 Million Deal for City's Savinho

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026  Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026 Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
TT

Spurs Reported to Have Agreed £75 Million Deal for City's Savinho

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026  Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026 Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo

Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a deal worth £75 million ($102 million) to sign Manchester City winger Savinho, British media reported on Friday.

The agreement was reported to include a further £10 million in add-ons and comes ⁠a year after ⁠Spurs' unsuccessful attempt to sign the Brazil international.

Spurs and Manchester City did not immediately respond ⁠to Reuters requests for comment on the reported signing.

Savinho, who made 24 Premier League appearances for City last season, would be another major addition to the Spurs squad after the arrivals ⁠of ⁠midfielders Mateus Fernandes and Sandro Tonali.

British media also reported that Spurs remain in talks over a move for City's Egypt forward Omar Marmoush.