Ethiopia Produces Electricity from GERD’s Second Turbine

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed called on Egypt and Sudan to resume negotiations, stressing that his country is “building the dam to generate electricity and achieve economic development. (ENA)
Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed called on Egypt and Sudan to resume negotiations, stressing that his country is “building the dam to generate electricity and achieve economic development. (ENA)
TT

Ethiopia Produces Electricity from GERD’s Second Turbine

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed called on Egypt and Sudan to resume negotiations, stressing that his country is “building the dam to generate electricity and achieve economic development. (ENA)
Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed called on Egypt and Sudan to resume negotiations, stressing that his country is “building the dam to generate electricity and achieve economic development. (ENA)

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed kickstarted electricity production from the second turbine at the controversial mega-dam on the Blue Nile on Thursday, despite continuing objections by Egypt and Sudan over the project.

He also confirmed that a third filling of the multi-billion dollar Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) was under way, a development that led Egypt last month to protest to the United Nations Security Council.

Ahmed thanked “all relevant actors” for what he described as the “successful implementation” of the project in accordance with the plan.

He also congratulated "all Ethiopians for their continuous contributions to the project,” noting that the successes achieved so far prove that Ethiopia will surely attain its aspired prosperity.

The dispute between Egypt and Ethiopia began after Ethiopia began building its dam, with Cairo worried that it could threaten its share of the Nile’s water. Meanwhile, Ethiopia claims that the GERD is necessary for the country’s development.

Over the past 11 years of negotiation, Cairo has insisted on resolving the dispute peacefully, initiating negotiations that led to Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia signing the Declaration of Principles Agreement in Khartoum in 2015.

Cairo and Khartoum demand a legally binding agreement to the rules of filling and operating the dam. They reject any unilateral measure by Addis Ababa, fearing potential threats to their water security.

According to the Ethiopian official news agency ENA, the turbine’s initial production will generate at least 375 megawatts of power.

The $4.2-billion dam is ultimately expected to produce more than 5,000 megawatts of electricity, more than doubling Ethiopia's current output.

On Feb 20, the PM announced the generation of 375 megawatts of hydroelectricity from the first turbine.

GERD Project Manager Kifle Horo said the total construction work reached about 83.9%, while the civil works reached 95%, and the electromechanical works reached 61%.

Ahmed called on Egypt and Sudan to resume negotiations that have been stalled since April 2021, stressing that his country is building the dam to generate electricity and achieve economic development.

He called on the two downstream countries to understand Ethiopia's wish to meet its needs of electric power, denying any intention to harm its neighboring countries.

Ahmed underlined the importance of negotiations to settle issues of common interest through dialogue as the construction process continues.

Dr. Mohamed Mahran, a specialist in public international law and member of the American Society of International Law, told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethiopia’s step is a violation of the rules of international law and relevant international agreements, as well as the 2015 Declaration of Principles.

“Their agreements require Addis Ababa to notify Cairo and Khartoum of any procedures on the international watercourse,” Mahran explained.

They also necessitate cooperation and commitment to exchanging information, and ensure that Ethiopia won’t harm the countries concerned and agree with the two Nile basin countries on the dam filling and operating dates and other principles that govern the non-navigational uses of international waterways.

He questioned Ahmed's assurances that the downstream countries would not be affected by the project, asking about the reasons why Ethiopia does not want to formulate these commitments in a legal binding agreement.

He further considered Addis Ababa’s intransigence a main reason behind the faltered talks.

Mahran called on the international community to hold an emergency meeting to take an urgent decision to halt the work and operation of the dam, oblige Ethiopia to negotiate to reach a legally binding agreement on the rules of its filling and operation and assume its responsibilities in maintaining international peace and security in the region.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".