Syrian Kurdish Forces Move to Halt ‘Brutal Torture’ at al-Hol Camp

Fighters of Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) take part in a search operation inside the al-Hol camp for refugees in al-Hasakah governorate, northeastern Syria, 26 August 2022. (EPA)
Fighters of Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) take part in a search operation inside the al-Hol camp for refugees in al-Hasakah governorate, northeastern Syria, 26 August 2022. (EPA)
TT
20

Syrian Kurdish Forces Move to Halt ‘Brutal Torture’ at al-Hol Camp

Fighters of Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) take part in a search operation inside the al-Hol camp for refugees in al-Hasakah governorate, northeastern Syria, 26 August 2022. (EPA)
Fighters of Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) take part in a search operation inside the al-Hol camp for refugees in al-Hasakah governorate, northeastern Syria, 26 August 2022. (EPA)

US-backed Syrian Kurdish security forces have launched a new operation targeting ISIS sleeper cells in a large northeastern detention camp where violence has reached record levels.

At least 44 people including 14 women have been killed this year in the al-Hol camp, which holds internal refugees and families of suspected ISIS fighters.

"We launched the campaign at this time because of the urgent need brought on by the escalation and increase in violent cases by ISIS cells in al-Hol camp," said Ali Hassan, a spokesperson for the internal security forces operating in Syria's semi-autonomous northeast.

He told Reuters the victims showed signs of "brutal torture", were often killed with silenced pistols or rifles and their bodies hidden in sewage pipes.

"Compared to last year, there is an increase in the pace of operations within the camp, especially during and after the attempted prison break," Hassan said.

He was referring to a January riot in a northeast Syrian prison, where ISIS suspects attempting a jailbreak took over part of the detention facility and dozens escaped.

Hassan said perpetrators of the violence in al-Hol likely had contact with ISIS units still roaming free.

Al-Hol houses around 55,000 people, including Syrians, Iraqis and other nationals who fled ISIS-held areas as the extremists faced an onslaught by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.

The UN refugee agency in June described the situation at the camp as "catastrophic" saying that an additional "safe space" should be created to protect women and girls from attacks.

The agency said humanitarian organizations had had their facilities vandalized and equipment looted and that repeated lockdowns due to security incidents in the camp meant aid workers had reduced access to people in need.



Iraqi Kurdistan: Assailant of Assyrian Celebration Attack Affiliated with ISIS

 Akitu holiday celebrators carrying a flag for the Assyrians in Iraq (AP). 
 Akitu holiday celebrators carrying a flag for the Assyrians in Iraq (AP). 
TT
20

Iraqi Kurdistan: Assailant of Assyrian Celebration Attack Affiliated with ISIS

 Akitu holiday celebrators carrying a flag for the Assyrians in Iraq (AP). 
 Akitu holiday celebrators carrying a flag for the Assyrians in Iraq (AP). 

Authorities in Duhok, in Iraq’s Kurdistan region, announced on Wednesday that the attack carried out by a Syrian national during a Christian celebration in the city was an “act of terrorism.”

On Tuesday, the attacker infiltrated a gathering of Syriac Christians celebrating the Akitu festival in central Duhok. He then pulled out an axe and attacked a young man, a 70-year-old woman, and a security officer.

Videos circulating on local media platforms showed a group of people apprehending the attacker, who was seen making hand gestures and shouting “Islamic State.” Shamon Shlimon, the deputy governor of Duhok, stated that initial investigations revealed the attacker was a Syrian national and that given the slogans he shouted, “it is clear that the attack was an act of terrorism.”

Later, security sources confirmed that the assailant admitted to police that he belonged to a terrorist organization.

The Kurdistan Regional Security Council later announced that the attacker was affiliated with an ISIS-linked group. In a press statement, the council said: “While the people of Duhok were celebrating Akitu, an individual holding extremist ISIS ideologies attacked citizens in the market with a sharp weapon.”

The Kurdistan Regional Presidency condemned the “criminal attack,” affirming that it would not tolerate any actions that undermine the culture of coexistence, acceptance, and tolerance.

In a statement on Wednesday, the presidency said it was “closely following” the investigation into the “criminal attack” in Duhok, assuring that the perpetrator will face legal consequences.

This is the first attack of its kind in Duhok. Chaldeans and Syriacs celebrate Babylonian-Assyrian New Year (Akitu) every April 1. During the recent attack, more than 8,000 people were present, half of whom were from outside the Kurdistan region, according to local reports.

The Akitu festival features celebrations, cultural and artistic events, and recreational activities, including traditional dances.