Lebanon Extradites to Iraq Grandson of Saddam Hussein’s Step-Brother

 Abdullah Yasser Sabawi (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Abdullah Yasser Sabawi (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT
20

Lebanon Extradites to Iraq Grandson of Saddam Hussein’s Step-Brother

 Abdullah Yasser Sabawi (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Abdullah Yasser Sabawi (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Lebanon extradited on Friday a man said to be a grandnephew of late Iraqi ruler Saddam Hussein to Iraq, where he is accused of involvement in a massacre by the ISIS extremist group, an Iraqi security source said Saturday.

Abdullah Yasser Sabawi, the grandson of Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hassan, the step-brother of Saddam, was extradited on Wednesday, the security official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“He is accused of having been a member of ISIS and having participated in the Speicher massacre” of 2014, in which up to 1,700 air force cadets were executed by the extremist group, the source added.

A Lebanese judicial source said Sabawi, born in 1994, “was detained on June 11” following an Interpol notice calling for his arrest over his alleged involvement in the massacre.

“Iraq requested his extradition,” the Lebanese source added.

Sabawi’s family has denied the accusations, telling AFP he had been in Yemen at the time of the killings.

The Camp Speicher massacre was considered one of ISIS’s worst crimes after it took over large parts of Iraq in 2014.

Video footage released by ISIS showed an assembly-line massacre in which gunmen herded their victims towards the banks of the Tigris, shot them in the back of the head and pushed them into the river one after the other.

Dozens have been sentenced to death by Iraqi courts over their involvement in the killings, many of them having already been executed.



Arab Parliament Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque

Arab Parliament
Arab Parliament
TT
20

Arab Parliament Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque

Arab Parliament
Arab Parliament

Arab Parliament Speaker Mohammed Ahmad al-Yamahi strongly condemned the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by the Israeli minister of national security, describing the act as an incitement and a provocation to the feelings of millions of Muslims around the world, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

Al-Yamah added that the Israeli minister’s acts clearly disregard the international community, international law, and the internationally legitimate resolutions.

In a statement, al-Yamahi emphasized that any attempts to alter the historical and legal status quo on Jerusalem’s holy sites are rejected and invalid, and that such actions constitute a flagrant violation of international law and relevant United Nations resolutions and contribute to increasing escalation, tension, and instability in the region.