Iran Rejects Western Criticism of its Ballistic Program

Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
TT
20

Iran Rejects Western Criticism of its Ballistic Program

Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani rejected western criticism of his country’s ballistic missiles program, after Tehran announced the development of its first domestically made “hypersonic” ballistic missile.

“The precision-guided Fattah hypersonic missile has a range of 1,400 km and it is capable of penetrating all defense shields,” Amirali Hajizadeh, the head of the Revolutionary Guards’ aerospace force, was quoted as saying by Iranian state media.

This is the second ballistic missile announced by Iran within two weeks, after it tested, earlier last month, a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers.

Hypersonic missiles can fly at least five times faster than the speed of sound and on a complex trajectory, which makes them difficult to intercept. Last year, Iran said it had built a hypersonic ballistic missile which can maneuver in and out of the atmosphere.

The Revolutionary Guard revealed a model of the missile during a ceremony attended by its senior commanders and Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi.

In a statement on Thursday, Kanaani said that his country’s missile activities are “well-known, defensive, and legitimate, in accordance with international laws,” accusing Western countries of “interfering” in his country’s affairs.

“These countries, which have a long and clear history of violating international obligations in several areas, including nuclear tests, the non-proliferation system, stockpiling ballistic missiles, and playing a disruptive role in regional and international issues, are not entitled to comment on Iran’s legitimate and legal defense capabilities,” he said.

Kanani specifically referred to the security alliance between Australia, Britain and the United States, known as AUKUS, saying: “This alliance is a blatant example of the political and discriminatory orientation of the nuclear powers in transferring technology and highly enriched uranium to non-nuclear states, contrary to the Non-Proliferation Treaty.”

Kanaani’s remarks came at a time when giant posters depicting the Fattah missile and the slogan “400 seconds to Tel Aviv '' invaded billboards and two walls in squares and large streets in Tehran, which are usually reserved for propaganda sponsored by the IRGC.

“We are proud of the missile production that dazzles the world,” said Raisi on Thursday, during a tour of East Azerbaijan Province.

On Wednesday, the French Foreign Ministry expressed its concern over the Revolutionary Guards’ announcement of a new ballistic missile, stressing Paris’ determination to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

“This is yet another breach of UN Security Council Resolution 2231. These activities come amid the continued escalation of Iran’s nuclear and ballistic programs. We remain fully mobilized to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons,” the ministry said in a statement.

The British Foreign Office said that Iran’s announcement “further proves its continued disregard of international restrictions and the grave threat posed by the regime to global security.”

“Alongside partners, the UK remains committed to taking every diplomatic step to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons and to hold the regime to account for its malign activity around the world,” the statement added.

The US Treasury announced the imposition of a set of sanctions on a number of companies in China and Hong Kong for supporting Iran’s ballistic missile program. It confirmed that Chinese companies sent centrifuges, non-ferrous metals that can be used for military purposes, and electronic equipment to government branches and private companies in Iran involved in missile manufacturing and subject to sanctions.

“Today’s action reinforces our commitment to respond to activities which undermine regional stability and threaten the security of our key partners and allies,” said Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian Nelson.

He added: “The United States will continue to target illicit transnational procurement networks that covertly support Iran’s ballistic missile production and other military programs.”

 



Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 3,085 as More Bodies Found

People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
TT
20

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 3,085 as More Bodies Found

People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER

The death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,085 as search and rescue teams found more bodies, the military-led government said, and humanitarian aid groups scrambled to provide survivors medical care and shelter.
In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.
The epicenter of Friday's 7.7 magnitude earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar's second-largest city. It brought down thousands of buildings, buckled roads and destroyed bridges in multiple regions, The Associated Press said.
Local media reports of casualties have been much higher than the official figures and with telecommunications widely out and many places difficult to reach, it's thought the numbers could rise sharply as more details come in.
The World Health Organization said that according to its initial assessment, four hospitals and one health center had been completely destroyed while another 32 hospitals and 18 health centers had been partially damaged.
“With infrastructure compromised and patient numbers surging, access to health care has become nearly impossible in many of the worst-hit areas,” the UN said. “Thousands of people are in urgent need of trauma care, surgical interventions and treatment for disease outbreaks.”
A mobile hospital from India and a joint Russian-Belarusian hospital also were now operating in Mandalay.
With many left homeless by the earthquake, and many others staying away from their homes over fears ongoing aftershocks will bring them down, workers in Naypyitaw labored in the 40 degree Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) busily erected big tents in open fields to provide some shelter.
In Mandalay, local residents gave slices of watermelon to Chinese volunteers taking a break from the heat.
More than 1,550 international rescuers were operating alongside locals on Thursday, according to a statement from the military. Rescue supplies and equipment have been sent by 17 countries.
Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.
The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.
As concerns grew that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts, the military declared a temporary ceasefire Wednesday, through April 22. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.
The military said it would still take “necessary” measures against those groups if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks.
Already on Thursday there were reports from local media in Kachin state in the north of Myanmar that military attacks continued in several areas, but they could not be independently confirmed.
Prior to the earthquake the military was battling the Kachin Independence Army group. The KIA on Wednesday also declared a ceasefire but reserved the right to defend itself. It was unclear how the reported fighting broke out.
The earthquake shook Kachin, but there have been no reports of damage there.
In Bangkok, where the quake brought down a skyscraper under construction, the search for survivors and bodies continued as Gov. Chadchart Sittipunt said a possible sound of life was detected in the rubble. By near day's end, however, nobody was found.
Twenty-two people were killed and 35 injured in the city, mostly by the collapse of the unfinished building.