Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
TT

Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)

Sudanese army representatives have returned to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia for talks with Rapid Support Forces (RSF) as the war entered its fourth month.

The RSF has made no comment on returning to the talks in Jeddah, which Saudi and US mediators adjourned last month after a series of repeatedly violated ceasefires.

However, a government source told AFP anonymously that a delegation of the armed forces has returned to Jeddah to resume negotiations with the RSF.

Reuters also quoted sources as saying that “Sudanese representatives have arrived in Saudi Arabia's Jeddah to resume talks."

- Yasser al-Atta

Meanwhile, Sovereign Council Member Lieutenant General Yasser al-Ata said that the military operations are proceeding and the war will end soon.

Ata told Asharq Al-Awsat that the army would continue to make achievements in the war against the Rapid Support Forces and that the army's morale is very high because of the people's support.

Addressing the incident in the Bahri region, Ata admitted the army sustained some losses, but the RSF lost more, and its elements continued to flee to the west of the country.

He described the RSF as rebels who committed major crimes against the people, indicating that the army was doing its duty to protect the country and its citizens.

- Back to negotiations

The army's return to the Jeddah negotiations reflects its participation in the diplomatic efforts aimed at a ceasefire after it boycotted talks last week in Ethiopia hosted by the East African regional bloc IGAD.

However, the Sudanese Foreign Ministry objected to Kenyan President William Ruto's leadership of the IGAD quartet, accusing Nairobi of siding with the RSF.

Before suspending the Jeddah talks, US mediators expressed their disappointment over the reluctance of both parties towards a real armistice.

Experts believe army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo chose to wage a war of attrition, and each hoped to obtain more significant concessions at the negotiating table.

- Engineers' Corps

Eyewitnesses reported that the RSF bombed drones that targeted Khartoum's most significant military hospital, killing and injuring eight civilians, in conjunction with its major attack on the Engineers' Corps nearby.

According to witnesses, the marches took off from the al-Muqrin in the center of Khartoum. The Rapid Support Forces control the "strategy" camp in that area.

Local sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that large numbers of army and rapid support forces have gathered in separate areas of Omdurman.

Al-Tarifi Abdel-Azim, a resident of Omdurman, reported hearing bombing and clashes since the early morning.

The Rapid Support Forces launched many attacks on the medical and engineers' corps near the Old White Nile Bridge entrance linking Omdurman with Khartoum.

- Kenyan President

Meanwhile, a delegation of Sudanese political and civil leaders met the Kenyan President as part of a tour to neighboring countries aimed at ending the war.

In a statement on Saturday, the delegation said that Ruto asserted Kenya's commitment to continuing regional efforts to stop the war in Sudan and reach a political solution to the crisis.

Ruto added that his country and IGAD continue to focus on issues of war, peace, and democratic transition in Sudan.

The Sudanese delegation, which includes top leaders in the Freedom and Change coalition, stressed the importance of coordinating international and regional efforts, unifying the negotiating platform, and accelerating a real ceasefire.

The IGAD initiative called on the warring parties to immediately sign an unconditional ceasefire agreement.

In the coming days, the Sudanese delegation will continue its visits to Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, and Chad to mobilize support to end the war and launch a political process for the return of civil rule.

- Ongoing clashes

Clashes continued over the past three months, leading 1.7 million civilians to escape Khartoum.

More than 2.4 million people have been displaced to other parts of Sudan, where roadblocks, the breakdown of the banking system, and fragile health services mean responders are ill-equipped to meet soaring demand.

Humanitarian relief organizations have repeatedly called for safe corridors to transport aid and workers and have previously warned that the rainy season, which began in June, could cause the spread of diseases.

During a meeting last Thursday, aid and health workers announced measles cases had emerged in 11 of Sudan's 18 states and 300 people were infected with cholera, eight of whom have died, according to a statement issued by the Islamic Relief.

The World Health Organization said it was difficult to confirm reports of an outbreak of cholera given that public health laboratories are out of order.

The UN estimates that 740,000 refugees have escaped to neighboring countries.



Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
TT

Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani has said that he made clear to Israel his government wasn't working with Türkiye to amass a military presence at a Syrian airbase — but Israel went ahead and attacked the site anyway.

Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria on Tuesday, warning Syria was on the verge of violating a "status quo agreed with Israel in security matters" by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase.

"[T]here was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in one of eight written responses to questions from Axios on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump told Axios in a phone call that he'd been briefed on the Israeli strike, but did not criticize it.

"I can't talk about it," he said. He declined to say whether his briefing came before or after the strike.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "dragging Türkiye into dangerous adventures in Syria.”

Katz, in a post on X, said his country would not "allow any entity to threaten its security."

The strikes on Tuesday follow worsening security tensions between Israel and Türkiye and increasingly sharp rhetoric between the two countries over Syria, where both countries' militaries are active.

Türkiye firmly rejected on ⁠Wednesday what it called "untenable allegations" by Israel regarding its military position in Syria after Israel said Syria was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy there.


Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
TT

Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)

The Israeli defense minister on Thursday accused President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of dragging Türkiye into "dangerous adventures in Syria,” after Israel tacitly acknowledged a strike on a north Syria air base earlier in the week.

"Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security," Israel Katz wrote on X in both Hebrew and Turkish. "It is preferable for Erdogan to continue delivering empty, delusional speeches against Israel in the Turkish parliament rather than testing Israel's resolve to defend itself," he added.

The Turkish presidency said Wednesday that Israeli allegations that Syria had allowed Turkish forces to deploy at Abu al-Duhur were “baseless.”

Israel carried out eight airstrikes Tuesday on the base in southeastern Idlib province near the Turkish border.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Syria of accepting a Turkish troop deployment, saying Israel had repeatedly warned Damascus that such a move would threaten its security but that those warnings had been ignored.

Israel “will not tolerate any threats to its security,” the statement said, adding that it would welcome a return to the status quo.


Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight airstrikes and artillery shelling on Ali al-Taher hill and the outskirts of al-Dabsha, while explosions were reported in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri in southern Lebanon, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported on Thursday.

“Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight strikes on Ali al-Taher hill and the area around al-Dabsha, on the northern outskirts of Nabatieh al-Fawqa and Kefr Rumman”, said NNA. They were subject to intermittent artillery fire until dawn, added the agency.

In the southern city of Tyre, the Israeli forces carried out explosions, overnight and at dawn, in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri, alongside artillery shelling of the two towns.

Israel launched a war against Lebanon on March 2 after Hezbollah fired rockets at northern Israel. Israeli forces occupied several towns in southern Lebanon.

A ceasefire was announced on June 20, after which the frequency of Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon declined.