Tehran to File Complaint against S. Korea over Frozen Assets

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi speaks to Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf earlier in July. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi speaks to Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf earlier in July. (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Tehran to File Complaint against S. Korea over Frozen Assets

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi speaks to Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf earlier in July. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi speaks to Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf earlier in July. (Iranian Presidency)

The Iranian government has submitted a complaint at international courts against South Korea regarding Tehran’s assets that have been frozen due to US sanctions.

The step was endorsed by lawmakers amid ambiguity about the future of diplomatic consultations to sign a US-Iran deal that could lead to the release of funds deposited by Tehran abroad.

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi sent a bill to the Iranian parliament under the title “The Referral of Dispute between the Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Government of the Korean Republic for Arbitration.”

Relations between the two countries were strained after Iranian funds from the sale of crude oil were seized in South Korean banks in compliance with sanctions that were re-imposed by then US President Donald Trump, following the US withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

Trump believed his policy of "maximum pressure" on Iran would force it to accept more stringent restrictions on its nuclear program, which the United States, European powers, and Israel fear may be designed to develop a nuclear weapon.

Speculation had increased in the past weeks about the release of these funds after Western officials said that Tehran and Washington are negotiating, through an Omani initiative, to reach a limited agreement by which the assets can be released by S. Korea and Iraq. In return, Tehran would release detained American nationals and halt its uranium enrichment by 60 percent.

The Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA) reported that the South Korea’s unyielding policies toward releasing the frozen assets pushed Iran to submit the official complaint.

Shahriar Heydari, deputy head of the Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, said on Sunday the international community had condemned the asset freeze, suggesting that Tehran may review its ties with Seoul.

Heydari added that negotiations were held between Iran and South Korea, but no progress has been achieved so far.

Member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee MP Ibrahim Azizi told ISNA that South Korea will be the most harmed if the assets aren’t released.

Azizi said the complaint would allow Iran to pursue legal diplomacy to follow up on its request at international courts.

Tehran has in the past pushed Baghdad to secure US permission to release the funds by cutting its natural gas exports to Iraq, limiting its ability to generate power and forcing deeply unpopular electricity cuts.

The US has extended by 120 days a sanctions waiver, allowing Iraq to pay electricity expenses and its debts to Tehran.

Last week, 14 private Iraqi banks came under restrictions by the US government in response to suspicions that they were helping funnell US dollars to Iran.

Reuters reported that the latest waiver was expanded to permit payments to banks outside Iraq at the request of the Iraqi government, apparently in the hopes that this might transfer some of the pressure that Iran has exerted on Baghdad to other countries.

An American official said: “We have to help the Iraqis with this perennial pressure from the Iranians to access the money.”

"The Iraqis have requested, and now we have agreed, to expand the waiver," said the official, saying this might help ensure better compliance with the US requirement that any disbursements be for humanitarian purposes.

One week before the US exemption, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani announced the signing of an agreement with Iran to trade Iraqi oil for Iranian gas.

Sudani said Iran dropped its gas exports to Iraq by more than 50 percent as of July, after the failure of Baghdad to obtain the US approval for disbursing the money owed to it before Iran agreed to resume gas exports in return for Iraqi oil.

Hamid Hosseini, a board manager at the Iranian Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Products Exporters Union (OPEX), said on Saturday that Tehran would obtain 100,000 barrels per day from Iraq, according to the IRGC-affiliated Fars news agency.

He said that Iran will be able to receive some 30,000 barrels per day of heavy-grade crude oil and another 70,000 of mazut from Iraq to fulfill part of the local demand.



Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.


Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT

Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Japan's lower house formally reappointed Sanae Takaichi as prime minister on Wednesday, 10 days after her historic landslide election victory.

Takaichi, 64, became Japan's first woman premier in October and won a two-thirds majority for her party in the snap lower house elections on February 8.

She has pledged to bolster Japan's defenses to protect its territory and waters, likely further straining relations with Beijing, and to boost the flagging economy.

Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing's top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to "revive militarism".

In a policy speech expected for Friday, Takaichi will pledge to update Japan's "Free and Open Indo-Pacific" strategic framework, local media reported.

"Compared with when FOIP was first proposed, the international situation and security environment surrounding Japan have become significantly more severe," chief government spokesman Minoru Kihara said Monday.

In practice this will likely mean strengthening supply chains and promoting free trade through the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) that Britain joined in 2024.

Takaichi's government also plans to pass legislation to establish a National Intelligence Agency and to begin concrete discussions towards an anti-espionage law, the reports said.

Takaichi has promised too to tighten rules surrounding immigration, even though Asia's number two economy is struggling with labor shortages and a falling population.

On Friday Takaichi will repeat her campaign pledge to suspend consumption tax on food for two years in order to ease inflationary pressures on households, local media said, according to AFP.

This promise has exacerbated market worries about Japan's colossal debt, with yields on long-dated government bonds hitting record highs last month.

Rahul Anand, the International Monetary Fund chief of mission in Japan, said Wednesday that debt interest payments would double between 2025 and 2031.

"Removing the consumption tax (on food) would weaken the tax revenue base, since the consumption tax is an important way to raise revenues without creating distortions in the economy," Anand said.

To ease such concerns, Takaichi will on Friday repeat her mantra of having a "responsible, proactive" fiscal policy and set a target on reducing government debt, the reports said.

She will also announce the creation of a cross-party "national council" to discuss taxation and how to fund ageing Japan's ballooning social security bill.

But Takaichi's first order of business will be obtaining approval for Japan's budget for the fiscal year beginning on April 1 after the process was delayed by the election.

The ruling coalition also wants to pass legislation that will outlaw destroying the Japanese flag, according to the media reports.

It wants too to accelerate debate on changing the constitution and on revising the imperial family's rules to ease a looming succession crisis.

Takaichi and many within her Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) oppose making it possible for a woman to become emperor, but rules could be changed to "adopt" new male members.