Drone Hits Tower Housing Russian Ministries for Second Time in Three Days

Firefighters stand next to a damaged building in the "Moscow City" business district after a reported drone attack in Moscow, Russia, early Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2023. (AP)
Firefighters stand next to a damaged building in the "Moscow City" business district after a reported drone attack in Moscow, Russia, early Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2023. (AP)
TT

Drone Hits Tower Housing Russian Ministries for Second Time in Three Days

Firefighters stand next to a damaged building in the "Moscow City" business district after a reported drone attack in Moscow, Russia, early Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2023. (AP)
Firefighters stand next to a damaged building in the "Moscow City" business district after a reported drone attack in Moscow, Russia, early Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2023. (AP)

A high-rise building in Moscow's business district that houses three Russian government ministries was struck by a drone for the second time in three days on Tuesday, in what Russia called an attempted Ukrainian "terrorist attack".

A Ukrainian presidential adviser said Moscow should expect more drone attacks and "more war".

The building that was hit is known as the "IQ quarter", which houses the ministry of economic development, the digital ministry and the ministry of industry and trade. Video obtained by Reuters showed a section of its glass facade, high above the ground, had been destroyed by the impact.

"At the moment, experts are assessing the damage and the state of the infrastructure for the safety of people in the building. This will take some time," Darya Levchenko, an adviser to the economy minister, said on Telegram. She said staff were working by video-conference.

Moscow has come under repeated drone attacks since early May, when two drones were fired at the roof of a building in the Kremlin complex.

While the incidents have not caused casualties or major damage, they have provoked widespread unease and sit awkwardly with the Kremlin's narrative that Russia's "special military operation" in Ukraine is proceeding according to plan.

"Indeed, a threat exists, it is obvious, but measures are being taken," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters, declining to comment further.

Ukraine has drawn satisfaction from the attacks, though without directly claiming responsibility for them.

"Moscow is rapidly getting used to a full-fledged war," Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak wrote on X, the social media platform previously known as Twitter.

He said Russia should expect "more unidentified drones, more collapse, more civil conflicts, more war".

'No one is safe'

Moscow residents Reuters spoke to near the site of the attack gave differing views on the risks they felt they faced.

"In this situation, any place can be hit, so it is quite hard to feel 100% safe," said Alexander Gusev, 67. "No one is safe in this situation because we don't know what will hit us and where."

Another resident, Kirill, 32, who declined to give his last name, said: "I feel safe. I'm originally from Donetsk (in eastern Ukraine), so I consider this a minor incident... You should just adjust your attitude and everything will be fine."

In a statement, the Russian defense ministry said it had thwarted the "attempted terrorist attack" and downed two drones west of the Moscow city center.

It said another one was foiled by jamming equipment and went "out of control" before crashing into buildings in the Moskva-Citi business district.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said it hit the same tower that had been struck on Sunday. "The facade has been damaged on the 21st floor. Glazing was destroyed over 150 square meters," he said.

A witness told Reuters: "We were going to see the tower where the explosion happened the day before yesterday... Suddenly there was this explosion, and we immediately ran. There were shards of glass, and then smoke rising. Then the security services starting running that way. The shards were really big."

Vnukovo airport, one of three major airports serving the capital, briefly shut down but later resumed full operations.

There are signs that the incidents are causing some concern among Russian businesses. After the first drone hit Moskva-Citi on Sunday, tech company Yandex sent a memo to staff instructing them not to be in the office at night and urging them to "take care".



Taiwan Security Chief: China Deployed 'Over 100 Vessels' in Regional Waters

People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
TT

Taiwan Security Chief: China Deployed 'Over 100 Vessels' in Regional Waters

People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang

Taiwan's security chief said Saturday that China has deployed more than 100 navy, coast guard and other vessels in regional waters stretching from the Yellow Sea to the South China Sea and Western Pacific.

The deployment happened in the past few days after US President Donald Trump's meeting with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing, National Security Council chief Joseph Wu said on X.

"In this part of the world,#China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the #StatusQuo & threatening regional peace & stability," Wu said in the post.

China claims Taiwan is part of its territory and has threatened to use force to seize it.

Wu's remarks came after Trump on Wednesday referred to "the Taiwan problem" when asked if he would speak to Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te about arms sales to the democratic island.

"I'll speak to him. I speak to everybody," Trump said, adding that he had a great meeting with Xi during his state visit.

"We'll work on that, the Taiwan problem," Trump said.

A Taiwan security official told AFP on the condition of anonymity that Chinese vessels had been detected before the summit in Beijing, but that the numbers went above 100 in recent days.

Meanwhile, a source said US arms sales to Taiwan take years to process and are unrelated to the war with Iran, after a senior US official suggested there was a pause due to the need to have enough arms for the conflict.

Taiwan has been waiting for the US to approve an arms sale that Reuters reported could be worth up to $14 billion.

On Thursday, ⁠acting US Navy ⁠Secretary Hung Cao told a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing that there was a pause on arms sales to Taiwan to make sure the US had the munitions needed for the Operation Epic Fury attack on Iran.

The source familiar with the matter noted that Trump has said he would decide on the Taiwan arms sales soon.

"These sales take years to process and are unrelated to Operation Epic Fury," the source ⁠said, referring to the war the US and Israel launched in February. "The United States military has more than enough munitions, ammo, and stockpiles to serve all of President Trump's strategic goals and beyond."


Magnitude 6 Quake Strikes Hawaii’s Big Island

FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
TT

Magnitude 6 Quake Strikes Hawaii’s Big Island

FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)

An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 struck near Honaunau-Napoopoo on the Big Island of Hawaii late on Friday and the state's volcano observatory was assessing the Kilauea volcano, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.

Kilauea, one of the ⁠world's most active ⁠volcanoes, is located on Hawaii's Big Island.

The volcano has been erupting episodically since December 23, 2024.

In an update earlier on ⁠Friday, the USGS' Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) said the next eruption would occur sometime between May 24 and May 27, citing forecast models.

The earthquake was felt widely on the islands of Hawaii, Maui, and Oahu and was ⁠at ⁠a depth of about 23 km (14 miles), according to USGS.

A tsunami was not expected from the quake, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, and there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.


Governor: 10 Dead in Ukrainian Strike on College in Russian-occupied Town

22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
TT

Governor: 10 Dead in Ukrainian Strike on College in Russian-occupied Town

22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa

The death toll from a Ukrainian strike on a college in a Russian-occupied town in eastern Ukraine has risen to 10, local Moscow-backed authorities said on Saturday.

A total of 38 people were wounded and 11 teenage students were missing, said Leonid Pasechnik, governor of the occupied Lugansk region.

Russian President Vladimir Putin condemned the drone barrage that hit the college dormitory in Starobilsk overnight on Thursday to Friday and ordered the army to prepare a response.

"Rescuers worked through the night clearing the rubble in Starobelsk. Unfortunately, hopes were not fulfilled -- the death toll has risen to 10," Pasechnik wrote on Telegram, using a Russian spelling for the town.

According to AFP, he said search and rescue operations were continuing.

Ukraine denied targeting civilians and said it had hit a Russian drone unit stationed in the Starobilsk area.

Russia's foreign ministry said on Friday that those responsible would face "inevitable and severe punishment.”

Ukraine regularly targets Russian-controlled areas of the country with drones, saying the strikes are retaliation for Russian attacks.

Starobilsk is located about 65 kilometers (40 miles) from the front line in east Ukraine.

Russian forces captured the town in 2022, shortly after launching their full-scale offensive.

The Lugansk region is almost entirely occupied by Russia, which claims it as its own.