Piastri on Pole Position for Sprint Race in Qatar as Verstappen Closes on F1 Title

 McLaren's Australian driver Oscar Piastri after finishing first in the sprint shootout ahead of Qatari Formula One Grand Prix at the Lusail International Circuit on October 7, 2023. (AFP)
McLaren's Australian driver Oscar Piastri after finishing first in the sprint shootout ahead of Qatari Formula One Grand Prix at the Lusail International Circuit on October 7, 2023. (AFP)
TT
20

Piastri on Pole Position for Sprint Race in Qatar as Verstappen Closes on F1 Title

 McLaren's Australian driver Oscar Piastri after finishing first in the sprint shootout ahead of Qatari Formula One Grand Prix at the Lusail International Circuit on October 7, 2023. (AFP)
McLaren's Australian driver Oscar Piastri after finishing first in the sprint shootout ahead of Qatari Formula One Grand Prix at the Lusail International Circuit on October 7, 2023. (AFP)

Oscar Piastri took pole position in qualifying for the sprint race in Qatar later Saturday, with Max Verstappen on the verge of clinching his third consecutive Formula One title.

Australian rookie Piastri beat his McLaren teammate Lando Norris by .082 seconds for first place, with Verstappen in third, .192 off the pace.

Norris seemed to have the pace to beat Piastri on his last lap of the session but went wide on the last corner.

Verstappen needs to finish at least sixth in the 19-lap sprint to ensure he wins the title. Otherwise, he will also be champion if his Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez finishes outside the top three.

Perez is set to start eighth for the sprint, continuing a run of underwhelming results in qualifying for the Mexican driver.

The start of the “shootout” session — a shortened qualifying format — was delayed by 20 minutes and an extra 10-minute practice was added following concerns that the pointed “pyramid" kerbs used at the Lusail circuit had been damaging tires in Friday practice.

One section of the track was narrowed where drivers had been sliding sideways over the kerbs on the exit of corners. The sport's governing body, the FIA, said it would analyze the tires used on Saturday and if the situation didn't improve, it could force drivers to make at least three pit stops in Sunday's race to stop them driving on older, worn tires.

Drivers have used the kerbs extensively Friday and Saturday as they go wide on the exit of corners to carry more speed through the turn. That also meant several lap times were deleted Friday and Saturday because drivers had put all four wheels off the track.

Verstappen, Perez, Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso were among the drivers who had lap times deleted in the final session of qualifying for the sprint.

Piastri's lap for pole position came a day after the Australian driver had his own trouble with the track limits rules. He thought on Friday he had qualified third for the Grand Prix race but was told during a TV interview that his time had been deleted, dropping him to sixth.



‘I’m Not Flirting with Any Team’: Marseille Coach De Zerbi Denies Exit Talks amid Tensions

 Marseille's Italian head coach Roberto De Zerbi reacts during the French L1 football match between Stade de Reims and Olympique de Marseille (OM) at Stade Auguste-Delaune in Reims, northern France on March 29, 2025. (AFP)
Marseille's Italian head coach Roberto De Zerbi reacts during the French L1 football match between Stade de Reims and Olympique de Marseille (OM) at Stade Auguste-Delaune in Reims, northern France on March 29, 2025. (AFP)
TT
20

‘I’m Not Flirting with Any Team’: Marseille Coach De Zerbi Denies Exit Talks amid Tensions

 Marseille's Italian head coach Roberto De Zerbi reacts during the French L1 football match between Stade de Reims and Olympique de Marseille (OM) at Stade Auguste-Delaune in Reims, northern France on March 29, 2025. (AFP)
Marseille's Italian head coach Roberto De Zerbi reacts during the French L1 football match between Stade de Reims and Olympique de Marseille (OM) at Stade Auguste-Delaune in Reims, northern France on March 29, 2025. (AFP)

Marseille coach Roberto De Zerbi says he wants to stay on at the French league club and insisted Friday that he has not been contacted by other clubs despite reports of a player mutiny and interest from AC Milan.

Speaking during a conference Friday, De Zerbi said he is "not flirting with any team."

"At the moment I have no desire to leave," De Zerbi said. "My intention is to stay here for many years. Since it takes two to make a marriage, we still need to see a lot of things, and how we finish in the league".

Marseille has developed an attractive and effective style of play under De Zerbi but has been going through a bad patch of results, losing four of its past five matches. The team, however, remains in third place in the French league standings, in a position to qualify for next season's Champions League ahead of Sunday's match against Toulouse.

According to L'Equipe, De Zerbi has been facing criticism from his players, who are questioning his authoritative methods. The sports daily reported that De Zerbi was so angry with his team after a loss at Reims that he refused to run a training session this week, leaving it to his staff, and that the club's director of football had to intervene to diffuse the dispute as many players felt humiliated.

"I know when it’s time to hug my players and when it’s time to be a little stronger," De Zerbi said. "I’m not afraid, I’m ready to do anything for my job. That’s what I want to pass on to the team. I don’t want everyone’s approval, but everything has to be done at 100%."

Meanwhile, La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that De Zerbi is now the favorite to take over at Milan, with Massimiliano Allegri and Antonio Conte also considered for the job.

Since American owner Frank McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse of French soccer has failed to find any form of stability, with a succession of coaches and crises that sometimes turned violent.

The club has changed coach 30 times since the beginning of the century, the highest total of any top-flight team in France in that period. The 1993 Champions League winner missed out on European qualification after finishing eighth in the French league last season.

Marseille dominated domestic soccer in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It is the only French team to win the Champions League but hasn’t won the domestic league since 2010.