UN Estimates Over 10,000 Families in Yemen Affected by Tej Cyclone

A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
TT
20

UN Estimates Over 10,000 Families in Yemen Affected by Tej Cyclone

A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)

The UN estimated that over 10,000 households in the al-Mahra, Hadramawt, and Socotra governorates had been impacted by the Tej Cyclone.

Local authorities announced the restoration of electricity and communications, and the reopening of roads is allowing teams to assess the impact of the cyclone better.

Director of the Office of the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation in al-Mahra Governorate Ali bin Balhaf called upon international, regional, and non-governmental organizations to support the local authority in confronting the repercussions and disastrous results of the natural disaster.

The official said several homes and private and public properties were destroyed, and hundreds of families displaced.

He warned of a health disaster that threatens the lives of residents, calling on humanitarian partners to respond quickly and provide all forms of urgent support.

Bin Balhaf stressed that the local authority was ready to provide possible facilities and overcome all difficulties to facilitate access to the affected areas.

UN estimates

The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen reported that over 10,000 households have been affected, including an estimated 7,100 homes in al-Mahra, 2,682 families in Hadramawt, and 669 in Socotra.

The UN office stated that homes have been damaged, destroyed, or flooded, with household items swept away.

Strong winds and rains also damaged sites for displaced people in Hadramawt and the agriculture and fishery sectors in al-Mahra.

The report indicated that partners continue to conduct assessments and scale-up responses to affected households.

Partners on the ground are prioritizing the distribution of food and shelter, said the report, adding that efforts were also underway to transport additional supplies.

The heavy flooding and rains have damaged houses and infrastructure and displaced families, namely in the Ar-Raydah wa Qusaia'r district of Hadramawt, in areas of Hasswin and al-Ghaydah in al-Mahra, and in both districts of Socotra.

The report noted that the storm's impact across these areas was structural damage rather than loss of life. Local authorities took precautionary measures, including the closure of schools and some roads, the early evacuation of households in high-risk areas, and the early warnings.

The UN confirmed that the local authorities in the three governorates are working to reopen the main roads, such as the road linking the Ar-Raydah wa Qusaia'r District with both Mukalla and Qishin in al-Maharah.

Electricity has been restored in most areas of al-Ghaydah and other districts, except Hasswin. Telecommunications, previously down in al-Mahra, are now operating.

Meanwhile, head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad al-Alimi visited al-Mahra to follow up on the developments.

Alimi met the Commander of Saudi Duty Forces, Faisal al-Hujaili, and representatives of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) in the presence of al-Mahra and Hadramawt governors.

According to official sources, the meeting touched on the ongoing efforts to confront the repercussions of the cyclone, including humanitarian and relief interventions and rehabilitating basic infrastructure.



Türkiye Intensifies Steps to Establish Air Base East of Homs

Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
TT
20

Türkiye Intensifies Steps to Establish Air Base East of Homs

Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 

Türkiye is accelerating preparations to establish an airbase in the city of Palmyra, east of Homs, following an announcement by its Ministry of Defense last week that it is considering a request from the Syrian administration in Damascus to set up a base for training purposes.

Reports indicate that Turkish military convoys carrying equipment entered northern Syria overnight between Tuesday and Wednesday, likely transporting logistical supplies and gear to the “T4” airbase in Palmyra.

The pro-government Turkish newspaper “Türkiye” reported on Wednesday that the country has taken official steps to take control of the Tiyas Military Airbase—also known as Tiyas Airport, T4 Airbase —located near the village of Tiyas, about 60 kilometers east of Palmyra in Homs province.

According to the report, Türkiye plans to establish a multi-layered air defense system at the base, incorporating domestically produced weapons. Additionally, Ankara intends to deploy reconnaissance drones and armed UAVs with advanced strike capabilities. The goal is to enhance the country’s counterterrorism efforts against ISIS while also deterring potential Israeli airstrikes in the region.

Some sources suggest that Türkiye may also consider deploying the Russian S-400 air defense system, which it acquired in the summer of 2019.

Retired Turkish Brigadier General Fahri Erenel stated that Ankara plans to take significant steps in Syria in April. He mentioned that after the collapse of Bashar al-Assad’s regime, a defense agreement was negotiated with the Syrian interim government. Under this agreement, Türkiye would provide air support and military protection to the new Syrian administration.

Israeli Concerns

Israel is deeply concerned about Türkiye’s growing cooperation with Damascus and its efforts to expand its military presence in Syria.

An Israeli security official, speaking to The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday, described the potential establishment of a Turkish military base in Syria as a “possible threat” to Israel. The official, whose name was not disclosed, warned that a Turkish airbase in Syria would undermine Israel’s operational freedom and was therefore something Tel Aviv opposed.

On Friday, the Israeli military announced that it had targeted what it described as “strategic military capabilities” at Syrian army bases in Palmyra and the T4 airbase. The Israeli official indicated that the strike on T4 was a message that Israel would not tolerate any obstacles to its air operations in Syria.