Egypt Starts Documenting Numbers of Refugees, Hosting Costs

A meeting of the Egyptian government on Monday to discuss the refugee file. (Premiership)
A meeting of the Egyptian government on Monday to discuss the refugee file. (Premiership)
TT

Egypt Starts Documenting Numbers of Refugees, Hosting Costs

A meeting of the Egyptian government on Monday to discuss the refugee file. (Premiership)
A meeting of the Egyptian government on Monday to discuss the refugee file. (Premiership)

The Egyptian government started documenting the number of refugees residing on its territory with the aim of determining the financial costs that the State should bear for supporting them.
Egyptian Prime Minister Moustafa Madbouli affirmed on Monday the importance of documenting the number of refugees in the country and assessing their contribution in this regard to offer the services they need in the various sectors.
The premier’s remarks came at a meeting to review the contribution of the Egyptian state to sponsoring its guests of different nationalities, in the presence of several ministers and senior State officials.
Egypt is receiving more than nine million refugees from 133 countries, according to some international estimates.
During the meeting, Minister of Health and Population Khaled Abdel Ghaffar spoke about the health services offered to the refugees by the Egyptian State.
He said the refugee population consists of 50.4 percent males and 49.6 percent females.
In addition, the Minister said 56 percent of the refugees reside in five key governorates: Cairo, Giza, Alexandria, Dakahlia, and Damietta.
Also, Abdel Ghaffar said 60 percent of refugees have resided in Egypt for a decade, and 6 percent have integrated into Egyptian society in the past 15 years.

He noted that 37 percent of the immigrant population is engaged in stable employment within established companies.
According to Adel Amer, Director of the Egyptian Centre for Political, Economic, and Social Studies, “The Egyptian government is documenting the number of refugees to identify the financial costs of hosting them under the country’s difficult economic conditions, and to urge the international community to pay its share of such costs.”
He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the cost of hosting refugees is heavy for Egypt in light of its budget deficit.
“Egypt has the right to receive financial support from major countries and international organizations to be able to continue hosting those refugees,” Amer noted.
Professor of Political Science at the American University in Cairo, Dr. Noha Bakr, also told Asharq Al-Awsat that “major countries and regional organizations such as the European Union should consider this file,” adding that the World Bank must have a role in financing refugee-related projects at a reduced cost.
Egypt is in the midst of an economic crisis with surging inflation rates due to a dramatic slide of its currency, which contributed to a continued hike in the prices of basic goods and services.



Lebanese Bury Victims of Deadliest Israeli Strike since Ceasefire

20 May 2026, Lebanon, Tyre: A view of the destruction after Israeli airstrike in the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
20 May 2026, Lebanon, Tyre: A view of the destruction after Israeli airstrike in the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
TT

Lebanese Bury Victims of Deadliest Israeli Strike since Ceasefire

20 May 2026, Lebanon, Tyre: A view of the destruction after Israeli airstrike in the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
20 May 2026, Lebanon, Tyre: A view of the destruction after Israeli airstrike in the southern Lebanese port city of Tyre. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa

Mourners gathered in a southern Lebanese town on Thursday to bury victims from an Israeli airstrike earlier this week that killed 14 people, the deadliest single bombing raid on Lebanon since the announcement of a tenuous ceasefire last month.

The toll from Israel's strike on the town of Deir Qanoun En-Nahr on Tuesday included four children and three women, according to Lebanon's health ministry.

Dozens of people gathered in the southern town on Thursday to bury the victims, carrying pictures of three children and their parents who were killed in the bombing raid.

Ali Reda Dibo identified them as his 33-year-old brother, who was killed at home along with his wife and their children -- a 1-year-old son, and two daughters aged 6 and 8.

"They were children, angels, what more can we say? There is nothing left to say after what you are seeing today, nothing at all," Dibo said.

Two of the coffins were draped in the yellow flag of Hezbollah, and a third bore the green flag of Hezbollah's ally, the Amal movement.

When asked about the strike, the Israeli military told Reuters that it had "struck a Hezbollah terrorist in a structure used for military purposes in the area of Deir Qanoun in southern Lebanon".

It said the area had been evacuated of civilians and that precise munitions and aerial surveillance had been used to mitigate harm.

Israel has issued orders for people across southern Lebanese towns to leave their homes and head north, including during the ceasefire. More than one million people have been displaced in Lebanon by the evacuation orders and by Israel's bombing campaign.

But many have opted to stay in their hometowns, refusing to stay in government-run shelters or unable to afford rent for a new home.

More than 3,070 people have been killed in Israeli strikes on Lebanon since March 2, when Lebanese armed group Hezbollah fired on Israel and ignited a new war.

They include more than 200 children, nearly 300 women and more than 110 healthcare workers. Fighting has continued despite a US-brokered ceasefire announced on April 16, with each side accusing the other of truce violations.


Israel Says Deported 'All Foreign Activists' from Gaza-bound Flotilla

A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026.  (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026. (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
TT

Israel Says Deported 'All Foreign Activists' from Gaza-bound Flotilla

A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026.  (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026. (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)

Israel said it had deported on Thursday all the foreign activists seized by Israeli forces from a Gaza-bound flotilla, following global outcry over their treatment in custody.

"All foreign activists from the PR flotilla have been deported from Israel. Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza," said foreign ministry spokesman Oren Marmorstein.

Earlier, western governments voiced outrage on Thursday after Israel’s far-right security minister posted a video of himself taunting Gaza-bound flotilla activists being pinned to the ground, with two later alleging ​they were physically assaulted in detention.

The activists' treatment by police officers under the direction of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir also drew a rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and from the United States, Israel's staunchest ally.

The activists, whose vessel was intercepted on Wednesday in international waters by Israeli naval forces as they were trying to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza, were expected to be deported from Israel on Thursday.

Across Europe, governments summoned Israeli ambassadors to condemn the video. Italy demanded an apology, Spain said it would not tolerate maltreatment of its citizens, and France demanded the release of all the detainees.

Britain's foreign ministry said the video "violates the most basic standards of respect and dignity for people", while Poland's foreign minister called for Ben-Gvir to be banned from entering the country.

The US Ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, said Ben-Gvir had "betrayed (the) dignity of his nation".

The outpouring of anger follows ‌the posting of campaign-style ‌videos by Ben-Gvir and at least one other minister in Netanyahu's government, transport chief Miri ​Regev, showing ‌them visiting ⁠the port ​and ⁠lambasting the protesters, attention-grabbing antics ahead of a potential early election in Israel

 

 

 


Türkiye Planning Special Flights to Bring Back Activists on Gaza Flotilla

Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye Planning Special Flights to Bring Back Activists on Gaza Flotilla

Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Türkiye is planning special flights ​from Israel on Thursday to fly out its citizens and some activists from ‌third ‌countries ​who ‌joined ⁠a ​global aid flotilla that ⁠was intercepted by Israeli forces while trying to break ⁠its Gaza blockade, ‌Foreign ‌Minister Hakan ​Fidan ‌said.
Fidan said ‌on X that all Turkish institutions were working to ‌ensure the security and safe ⁠return ⁠of Turkish nationals. Broadcaster NTV separately said Turkish Airlines has sent three planes to Israel for the repatriations.