Mane’s Senegal Defend Title as Ivory Coast Hosts Cup of Nations

Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
TT

Mane’s Senegal Defend Title as Ivory Coast Hosts Cup of Nations

Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)

The Africa Cup of Nations kicks off on Saturday in Ivory Coast with the host nation and Mohamed Salah's Egypt among the leading contenders to succeed the Senegal of Sadio Mane as continental champions.

The 24-team tournament, which concludes with the final on February 11, is the first in the West African country in four decades, since just eight nations featured in the 1984 edition won by Roger Milla's Cameroon.

Senegal are defending the title they won in Cameroon in 2022, but a strong field also features Morocco and a Nigeria side spearheaded by African footballer of the year Victor Osimhen.

The tournament opens with the Group A meeting of the hosts and Guinea-Bissau at the Alassane Ouattara Stadium at Ebimpe, on the outskirts of the economic capital Abidjan.

The 60,000-seat stadium was built for a tournament initially supposed to be played in June and July last year to avoid a clash with the middle of the season in Europe, where so many top African players are based.

However, fears over staging it during the rainy season led to it being pushed back to its more traditional January and February slot.

Matches will be staged in six stadiums, with two venues in Abidjan, including at Ebimpe, which will host the final.

Games will also be played in the capital Yamoussoukro and neighboring Bouake, as well as in San Pedro on the coast and in Korhogo, in the north near the frontiers with Mali and Burkina Faso.

It is the first AFCON in West Africa since Ghana in 2008, and $1.5 billion has been invested by the Ivorian government.

"Let's all mobilize to make this AFCON a great celebration of youth, Ivorian hospitality and African brotherhood," said President Ouattara in his New Year's speech.

Authorities will be hoping to avoid anything like the event that overshadowed the last AFCON in Cameroon, where eight people were killed in a crush and stampede outside Yaounde's Olembe Stadium.

Locals are also hoping that their team, the Elephants, can go all the way and claim a third title.

Salah leads Egypt

The most recognizable face in their squad is Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller, who appears regularly on billboards lining Abidjan's traffic-choked streets.

As they aim to retain their crown despite stiff competition, Senegal will again lean heavily on Mane, the former Liverpool forward now playing in Saudi Arabia for Al Nassr.

"I cannot recall a stronger field. All the giants are going to be in Ivory Coast and all of them will be plotting to dethrone us," Mane, now 31, said recently.

Senegal are in Group C with Cameroon, Gambia and the Guinea of Serhou Guirassy, prolific in the German Bundesliga with Stuttgart and reportedly fine after an injury scare this week.

Egypt boast the biggest star of all in Salah as they target a record-extending eighth title to banish the memory of defeats in the 2017 and 2022 finals.

That is what Egyptians are dreaming of, although fans of his club, Liverpool, will hope he returns early as they chase the English Premier League title.

Egypt should have few serious problems getting out of a group also featuring Ghana, Cape Verde and Mozambique.

Can Morocco live up to billing?

Morocco are hoping to live up to their billing after becoming the first African nation ever to reach the semi-finals at a World Cup, just over a year ago in Qatar.

"I want to at least get to the semi-finals," coach Walid Regragui told local television channel Arryadia, as Morocco aim to win a second AFCON and first since 1976.

They are in Group F with DR Congo, Zambia and a Tanzania side who have never won a game at the tournament.

Morocco's biggest star is Achraf Hakimi, the Paris Saint-Germain right-back who was runner-up to Osimhen for the 2023 African footballer of the year.

The presence of Napoli striker Osimhen gives Nigerians hope their team can go far but they have been dealt a blow with the loss of Bayer Leverkusen forward Victor Boniface to injury.

The Super Eagles will play the hosts as well as Equatorial Guinea and Guinea-Bissau in Group A.

Winners in 2019, Algeria are in Group D with Burkina Faso, Mauritania and Angola.

South Africa are back after missing the last edition, and their team leans heavily on the country's leading club side, Mamelodi Sundowns.

They meet Tunisia, Mali and Namibia in Group E.



Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
TT

Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)

Swiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.

Swiss tabloid Blick reported late Friday that the 71-year-old Prost sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident Tuesday morning.

“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage,” The AP news reported.

The police, who did not name the victim, said “several” balaclava-wearing intruders “broke into the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established. The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”

Blick reported that Prost, who won four world championships between 1985-1993, was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and that he's left the home in Nyon beside Lake Geneva in the Swiss canton of Vaud.


Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Tottenham must avoid defeat against Everton on Sunday to guarantee their place in the Premier League next season as Pep Guardiola and Mohamed Salah prepare for emotional farewells.

Liverpool and Bournemouth could both secure places in the Champions League, while European football is also on the line for Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Spurs 'dignity' at stake

According to AFP, this time last year Tottenham fans were basking in the glow of a first trophy for 17 years after beating Manchester United to lift the Europa League.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the visit of Everton dwarfs the importance of that victory, with Premier League survival at stake.

"There is something more important than the trophy and the bonus," he said. "There is the future of the club, there is the history of the club, there is the pride of the players, there is the pride of the families of the players.

"There is the dignity of every one of us."

A point will be enough to secure survival and relegate West Ham due to Tottenham's vastly superior goal difference.

But Spurs have already lost 10 of their 18 home league games this season and another defeat would open the door to Nuno Espirito Santo's Hammers, if they can beat Leeds.

Battle for Europe

Liverpool should ensure a terrible season does not end on a fresh low note by securing a top-five finish in Mohamed Salah's farewell to Anfield.

Finishing in the top five would ensure Champions League football next season -- a consolation prize after a shocking title defence.

Egypt international Salah criticised Liverpool's performances under Arne Slot this season after last week's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he said in a social media post, pointedly referring to the football played under Slot's predecessor Jurgen Klopp.

"Qualifying to next season's Champions League is the bare minimum and I will do everything I can to make that happen," he added.

Liverpool, who host Brentford, have a three-point lead and a six-goal cushion on goal difference over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

Sixth could be enough to qualify for the Champions League if Liverpool win and leapfrog Aston Villa, who travel to Manchester City, into fifth spot.

As it stands, the sixth and seventh-placed teams would go into the Europa League and the eighth would qualify for the Conference League, AFP reported.

Brighton would be guaranteed at least Europa League football with victory over Manchester United.

Sunderland host Chelsea with a chance of qualifying for continental competition for the first time in more than half a century.

Premier League greats depart

Mohamed Salah's outburst gives Arne Slot a tough decision to make on whether to start the 33-year-old, who has only recently returned from a hamstring injury.

The already unpopular coach risks infuriating the Liverpool fans even further if he does not give the man they christened "The Egyptian King" one last run out in front of the Kop.

With increasing speculation over his future, Slot can ill afford to let any personal issues with Salah get in the way of finishing the season on a high.

Liverpool have failed to win any of the nine league games that Salah has not started in 2026.

At the Etihad, Guardiola is set for a rousing send-off after amassing 20 trophies in his decade in charge, including six Premier League titles and City's only Champions League.

"It's been the experience of my life," said the Catalan after announcing his departure on Friday.


Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
TT

Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes was named the Premier League player of the season on Saturday after guiding his club to third place in the standings while equaling the league's assists record with a game to spare. Fernandes tied the league record of 20 assists jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De ⁠Bruyne.

The Portugal international ⁠also scored eight goals as United secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was nominated alongside Arsenal's title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, ⁠Manchester City duo Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the Premier League's best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool's Dominik Szoboszlai, who created 89 chances, Reuters reported.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers' Association ⁠men's ⁠player of the year earlier this month while he also picked up the club's Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honor for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove Albion for the final game of the season.