Kuwait Interior Ministry’s Call to Report Citizenship Fraud Turns into Elections Fodder

 A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
TT

Kuwait Interior Ministry’s Call to Report Citizenship Fraud Turns into Elections Fodder

 A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
A vendor arranges decorative items in his shop at a market in Kuwait City on March 10, 2024, ahead of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)

The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry’s announcement on Saturday of a hotline to report cases of dual citizenship and citizenship forgery has stirred heated debate in the country.

In a statement, the ministry said the hotline was part of a legal measure as part of its efforts “to combat crime, corruption and preserve the national identity and public interest.”

Every person aware of a crime is obligated by law to report it, it stressed.

All measures taken by the ministry are in line with the constitution and laws, it went on to say after receiving a wave of criticism over the hotline.

Also on Saturday, four decrees were issued to revoke the citizenship of 26 people for various reasons.

It was the latest in such decisions. Around 30 people have had their citizenship revoked this month after it was found that they had obtained it through fraud.

Among the people targeted in the decision was opposition figure Hakim al-Mutairi, head of the Ummah Party. He was arrested and interrogated by Turkish authorities last year as Ankara attempts to improve its ties with the Gulf. Mutairi resides in Türkiye.

He was found guilty by Kuwait of involvement in the so-called “Gaddafi Leaks” case. Mutairi was accused of asking for funds from late Libyan leader Moammar al-Gaddafi to stir unrest in Gulf countries.

Elections fodder

The Interior Ministry’s request to report citizenship fraud has turned into fodder for the upcoming National Assembly elections.

Several former lawmakers and current candidates viewed the move as an attempt to “create strife” and turn people into informants.

Candidate Obeid al-Wasmi said: “It is inappropriate for the Interior Ministry to use the national identity as a subject for debate.”

“It is also inappropriate for it to recruit people as informants,” he added.

Former MP and current candidate Saud al-Asfoor said: “Making people suspicious of each other and inciting them to spy on each other will harm the country.”

Candidate Bader Sayar al-Shammari remarked: “The Kuwaitis are free people and have stuck together during the hardest times. They will not heed the call of a bankrupt discriminatory government that wants to drag them towards hatred.”



Faisal bin Farhan Stresses Diplomacy to Ease Regional Tensions

Prince Faisal bin Farhan receives Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Riyadh on Wednesday (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Prince Faisal bin Farhan receives Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Riyadh on Wednesday (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Faisal bin Farhan Stresses Diplomacy to Ease Regional Tensions

Prince Faisal bin Farhan receives Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Riyadh on Wednesday (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Prince Faisal bin Farhan receives Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Riyadh on Wednesday (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan on Wednesday reaffirmed the Kingdom’s commitment to reducing regional tensions and preventing renewed conflict through comprehensive, sustainable diplomatic solutions addressing the sources of instability in the Middle East.

“Diplomacy, dialogue and peaceful means remain our priorities,” Prince Faisal declared during the third Saudi-Japanese Strategic Dialogue with Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Riyadh.

Prince Faisal highlighted the decades-long relationship between Saudi Arabia and Japan, built on mutual trust and respect, and identified maritime security as a key shared priority.

He stressed the importance of safeguarding freedom of navigation in international waterways in accordance with international law, emphasizing that the Strait of Hormuz, Bab al-Mandab and other maritime passages must remain open, secure and free from threats.

The Saudi minister described Japan as an important economic partner and noted that Riyadh sought to expand cooperation in investment, energy, resources, supply chains, defense and technology, as well as the exchange of expertise and capabilities.

He reaffirmed that Saudi Arabia would remain a reliable partner for Japan, including in energy, while praising Tokyo’s efforts to strengthen economic resilience and stabilize global energy markets and trade.

Ahead of his visit to Riyadh and Muscat, Motegi noted that Saudi Arabia was playing a mediating role in talks between the United States and Iran and had seen its international influence expand significantly in recent years.

He pledged to deepen cooperation with the Kingdom as a strategic partner, particularly in ensuring stable energy supplies.

Toshihiro Kitamura, Japan’s assistant foreign minister and ministry spokesman, told Asharq Al-Awsat that cooperation between Riyadh and Tokyo was “strategic and encompasses all fields,” adding that future defense cooperation was possible.

Speaking at a news conference in Riyadh, Kitamura explained that Japan wanted to hear Saudi Arabia’s assessment of regional developments and strengthen coordination with Riyadh and Oman in support of peace and stability, particularly regarding Iran.

He noted that more than 95% of Japan’s crude oil imports passed through the Strait of Hormuz, underscoring its importance to global trade and the world economy.

Kitamura also expressed serious concern over Houthi attacks in Bab al-Mandab and indicated that Japan aimed to broaden bilateral cooperation beyond oil under the Saudi-Japan Vision 2030 framework, in line with Saudi Vision 2030.


Saudi Foreign Minister Discusses Regional Developments with Qatari Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah met with his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah met with his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Foreign Minister Discusses Regional Developments with Qatari Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah met with his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah met with his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received his Qatari counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, in Riyadh on Wednesday, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

During the meeting, the two ministers reviewed bilateral relations, areas of cooperation and ways to strengthen and develop them in line with the aspirations of the two countries’ leaderships and peoples.

The two ministers discussed the latest regional developments and diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions, contain their repercussions and safeguard regional security and stability. They underscored the importance of continued coordination and consultation, as well as aligning positions on current developments to bolster efforts to promote security and stability across the region.

They affirmed their support for Qatari and Pakistani mediation efforts and the role they play in advancing dispute settlement through diplomatic means. They also stressed the need to continue joint efforts to ensure security, safety, and freedom of navigation in the region's vital maritime corridors.


Qatari Prime Minister Arrives in Riyadh

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Qatari Prime Minister Arrives in Riyadh

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani arrived in Riyadh on Wednesday.

He was received by Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji at King Khalid International Airport.