Alarming Resurgence of Cholera Cases in Houthi-Controlled Areas in Yemen

Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
TT

Alarming Resurgence of Cholera Cases in Houthi-Controlled Areas in Yemen

Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned of an alarming resurgence of cholera cases in Houthi-held territories in the north of Yemen, with the number of recorded cases nearing 100,000.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) forecasted a heightened risk of flooding during Yemen's rainy season, which runs until September.

In its Health Cluster Bulletin, WHO said the cholera outbreak continues in Yemen covering most of the country.

It said 112,583 suspected cholera cases have been reported in the Yemeni governorates since the beginning of this year.

Most cases were recorded in Houthi-controlled areas, accounting for 83% of the total cases compared to 17% in governorates under the internationally-recognized government.

As of July 6, 2024, the bulletin said 93,000 suspected cases have been reported in Houthi-controlled areas.

It noted that the Health Cluster, with coordination with the relevant authorities and partners, is coordinating a rapid response to the outbreak.

The Yemeni government, in cooperation with the UN, continues the fight against cholera and to open cholera treatment centers.

In return, the Houthis ban child vaccination campaigns, hide the number of cholera cases and deaths in the areas under their control, while the militias’ media outlets and mosques continue to warn against vaccines, describing them as Western conspiracies.

The lack of vaccination campaigns in Houthi-controlled areas have caused the resurgence of many diseases, including polio, years after Yemen was announced free of the pandemic.

Flooding Risks

A cholera outbreak in Houthi-controlled areas came while FAO warned of a heightened risk of flooding, especially in coastal and low-lying areas, in the coming weeks.

In its Agrometeorological Early Warning Bulletin, FAO said factors such as heavy rainfall, inadequate drainage systems, devegetation, and other environmental conditions can contribute to flash floods.

The resulting exposure of vulnerable agricultural resources further amplifies the threat to food security, the bulletin warned.

According to UN data, 6 million people were projected to be one step away from famine in Yemen due to the sharp decline in aid provided by donors, and the suspension, since the end of last year, of the food program that distributes aid in Houthi-controlled areas.

FAO said July, in particular, typically records significant rainfall across many areas of Yemen.

It said that with daily precipitation levels expected to rise, reaching cumulative values surpassing 200 mm in areas like Ibb governorate, the Central Highlands and parts of the Southern Uplands are poised to receive the heaviest rainfall in the upcoming period.

Additionally, the bulletin said areas such as Hadramaut governorate, which typically experience minimal rainfall, are predicted to receive substantial precipitation nearing 40 mm.

FAO showed that these meteorological projections, coupled with the hydro-topographical characteristics of low-lying and coastal watersheds, could result in the reemergence of flash floods, with varying probabilities across different areas.

Some areas in Yemen will experience temperatures exceeding 44 degrees Celsius, specifically, the northern areas of Hadramaut and Al Maharah governorates, as well as coastal spots in Lahj.

Also, temperatures around 40 degrees Celsius will be recorded in various locations along the Red Sea (such as Hodeidah and Hajjah), the Gulf of Aden (Lahj), and the inland areas of Shabwah, Marib, Al Jawf, Hadramaut, and Al Maharah.



Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 


Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.