Iran Considers Sending Troops to Lebanon if Attacked by Israel

A poster hanging on a building in Tehran with a Persian text, "The beginning of the end of the Zionists", on Thursday. (EPA)
A poster hanging on a building in Tehran with a Persian text, "The beginning of the end of the Zionists", on Thursday. (EPA)
TT

Iran Considers Sending Troops to Lebanon if Attacked by Israel

A poster hanging on a building in Tehran with a Persian text, "The beginning of the end of the Zionists", on Thursday. (EPA)
A poster hanging on a building in Tehran with a Persian text, "The beginning of the end of the Zionists", on Thursday. (EPA)

Two senior commanders in Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) revealed that Tehran is considering sending "volunteer" forces to Lebanon and the Golan Heights, while also vowing to eliminate "traitors" within Hezbollah. This announcement comes as Tehran criticized the G7’s statement condemning Iran's missile attacks on Israel.
Iran launched over 180 rockets at Israel on Tuesday, claiming it was retaliation for the deaths of leaders in Hamas and Hezbollah, as well as the ongoing attacks on Gaza and Lebanon. The strikes followed the Israeli airstrike in Beirut last week, which killed Abbas Nilforoushan, the deputy commander of the IRGC, and Hezbollah's Secretary-General, Hassan Nasrallah.
The G7 leaders issued a statement on Wednesday expressing deep concern about the escalating crisis in the Middle East, although they emphasized the need for a diplomatic solution, warning that regional conflict benefits no side. Iran, however, dismissed the G7’s statement as biased and irresponsible. Esmail Baghaei, Iran’s new Foreign Ministry spokesman, condemned the G7 for supporting Israel and accused Western nations, especially the US, of destabilizing the region through their military and financial support for Israel.
Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Ministry summoned the German and Austrian ambassadors after Berlin and Vienna summoned their own Iranian representatives to condemn the missile attacks.
Iran argued that had European nations acted sooner to stop Israel's aggression, including cutting financial and military support, the ongoing "massacres" could have been avoided.
Former IRGC commander Mohsen Rafighdoost stated that deploying Iranian forces to Lebanon and the Golan Heights is under serious consideration.
In an interview with Iran Observer, he suggested that his country is fully prepared for military confrontation if Israel retaliates for the IRGC’s missile attacks, boasting that Iran has sufficient forces to endure decades of conflict.
Esmail Kowsari, an IRGC brigadier general and member of Iran's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, echoed this stance, welcoming volunteers who are ready to travel to Lebanon to support Hezbollah.
Kowsari insisted that Hezbollah is strong enough to face Israel independently, referencing Hezbollah’s resilience in past conflicts, particularly the 33-day war, and dismissed Israel’s threats of a ground invasion as political bluffing. He emphasized that Iran, along with other global supporters, stands ready to back Hezbollah if needed.
Rafighdoost attributed the pager device explosions to an infiltration within Hezbollah's ranks. He urged officials to exercise caution, stating: "Fortunately, our security forces have taken the necessary measures to counter any infiltration," expressing hope that such incidents would not recur.
Kowsari, for his part, said: "Israel's agents in Lebanon will be identified and punished."

 

 



Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
TT

Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)

Lebanon's civil defense agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike.

The Directorate General of Civil Defense said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a "direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike".

It added there were no reports of casualties among its personnel, who had been moved to another location before the incident, said AFP.

The civil defense agency condemned "this attack on a center dedicated to humanitarian and relief work", stressing that it was facing "growing risks and challenges" in carrying out its operations.

Israeli strikes in Lebanon have continued despite a truce that came into effect on April 17, with Israel saying it is targeting Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Lebanon's health ministry has recorded the deaths of 123 rescuers and health workers in Israeli strikes since the country was drawn into the wider regional war on March 2 when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel in retaliation for the death of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.


Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.