Iran Says 'Entitled’ to Defend against ‘Aggressive Acts’ after 4 Dead in Israeli Strikes

Commuters drive past an anti-Israel billboard covering the facade of a building in Tehran on October 26, 2024. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
Commuters drive past an anti-Israel billboard covering the facade of a building in Tehran on October 26, 2024. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
TT

Iran Says 'Entitled’ to Defend against ‘Aggressive Acts’ after 4 Dead in Israeli Strikes

Commuters drive past an anti-Israel billboard covering the facade of a building in Tehran on October 26, 2024. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
Commuters drive past an anti-Israel billboard covering the facade of a building in Tehran on October 26, 2024. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)

Iran is "entitled and obligated to defend itself against external aggressive acts,” its foreign ministry said on Saturday after Israel attacked the country with a series of pre-dawn airstrikes.

Calling the Israeli attack a violation of international law, the ministry said in a statement that Tehran "recognizes its responsibilities towards regional peace and security.”

The Israeli military said its aircraft targeted facilities that Iran used to make the missiles fired at Israel earlier this month as well as surface-to-air missile sites.

Explosions could be heard in the Iranian capital, though Iran insisted they caused only “limited damage” and Iranian state-run media downplayed the attacks.

The army said four of its troops had been killed in the attack, Iran's Al-Alam television reported.

Iran’s military said the strikes targeted military bases in Ilam, Khuzestan and Tehran provinces, without elaborating.
It closed its airspace during the attack but Iran's Civil Aviation Organization said flights were resuming at 9 a.m., Iranian state news agency IRNA reported.

Iran fired a wave of missiles and drones at Israel in April after two Iranian generals were killed in an apparent Israeli airstrike in Syria on an Iranian diplomatic post. The missiles and drones caused minimal damage, and Israel — under pressure from Western countries to show restraint — responded with a limited strike it didn't openly claim.

In Lebanon, dozens were killed and thousands wounded in September when pagers and walkie-talkies used by Hezbollah exploded in two days of attacks attributed to Israel. A massive Israel airstrike the following week outside Beirut killed Hezbollah’s longtime leader, Hassan Nasrallah, and several of his top commanders.
On Oct. 1, Iran launched at least 180 missiles into Israel in retaliation, sending Israelis scrambling into bomb shelters but causing only minimal damage and a few injuries.

Netanyahu immediately said Iran had “made a big mistake.”



Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
TT

Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)

Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.

He listed the removal of the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among the demands, which were included in an Iran-US truce in June that later collapsed, reported AFP.

War between Iran and the United States broke out on February 28 after US-Israeli attacks on the Iranian republic, triggering a conflict across the region.

Diplomatic efforts have since April 8 put an end to intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have persisted, especially in and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has kept control of the strait, a vital global energy conduit, since the war broke out, requiring vessels to seek permission and pay transit service fees -- a move opposed by Washington and several regional countries.

Iran and Oman, both coastal states on Hormuz, have for weeks been discussing the future of navigation through the strait, with Tehran saying the geographical coordinates of the route envisaged by both countries "have been agreed upon".

On Monday, Iran said that talks were "continuing in a serious manner" and views were being exchanged on the text of a "joint statement".

US President Donald Trump called for Tehran to surrender in a war that has become a growing political burden at home.

Ghalibaf during his speech said Iran was "ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances".


Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Firefighters launched a potentially decisive push Tuesday to encircle Belgium's largest wildfire in a century, despite wind and rain hampering air support operations over the High Fens nature reserve.

The blaze charring the vast expanse of boggy peatlands, pine trees and hiking trails grew over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan -- 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- with hundreds of firefighters working night and day to wrestle it under control.

"We are trying to definitively encircle the fire today," regional government spokesperson Nicolas Yernaux told AFP.

In areas where firefighters could operate, he confirmed the fire was "under control and contained."

But a hard-to-access front towards the German border remains a concern -- with residents in the border town of Monschau already under evacuation orders due to the smoke hazard.

Firefighters worked through the night to make a crucial link-up between the eastern and northern fronts, under very difficult access conditions.

"We're talking about one or two kilometers, and we're on the verge of achieving it," Yernaux told AFP, despite "sustained winds" blowing towards the German border.

Water-bombing aircraft from several countries have been deployed -- with two Norwegian helicopters the latest to fly in on Monday night -- but they have been repeatedly grounded by low cloud and rain. There are also aircraft from Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Yernaux said it was unclear given weather conditions when they would be able to take off again.

"There may be windows of opportunity this morning, but it may not be before tonight."

A huge area has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke triggered evacuations in one Belgian village and two hamlets of a second -- with residents of the hamlet of Sourbrodt given the green light to return home on Monday night.

- As long as it takes -

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer, with France, Greece, Portugal and Spain also battling major fires.

The High Fens blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

During a visit on site with King Philippe on Monday, Belgium's interior minister Bernard Quintin told media it could take "several weeks" of soaking and dousing the area to prevent the fire from reigniting -- even once brought under control.

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground -- and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control.

Local farmers have also poured in to help, working shifts to oversee a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water from a nearby lake.

"We'll take it in turns as long as it needs -- the team is all set," a farmer from nearby Waremme, told AFP Monday. "We'll keep going until the finish line."

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country last week, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.


Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.