Riyadh Meeting: Sanctions Are Obstructing Growth, Syria’s Future Will Be Decided by Syrians

Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Riyadh Meeting: Sanctions Are Obstructing Growth, Syria’s Future Will Be Decided by Syrians

Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Arabia urged top European diplomats at a gathering Sunday to lift sanctions against Syria to boost rebuilding the country and its economy after last month’s overthrow of President Bashar al-Assad.

European and Middle Eastern diplomats met in the Saudi capital Riyadh to discuss Syria’s future. The US and European countries have been wary over the roots of Syria’s new rulers — the former insurgents who drove Assad out of power — and have said ending sanctions depends on the progress of the political transition.

The interim government led by the former opposition factions has vowed to move to a pluralist, open system. It is looking for international support as the country tries to recover from nearly 14 years of civil war that killed an estimated 500,000 people and displaced half the prewar population of 23 million. The new Syrian foreign minister, Asaad al-Shaibani, attended Sunday’s gathering.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah said international and unilateral sanctions on Syria should be lifted.

Continuing them “will hinder the aspirations of the brotherly Syrian people to achieve development and reconstruction,” he said. He praised steps so far by the interim government, including promises to start a political process “that includes various components” of the Syrian people.

Tackling any challenges or sources of concern should take place through dialogue and in a way that respects Syria’s independence and sovereignty, he added. “Syria’s future will be decided by the Syrian people,” he declared.

Saudi Arabia believes that the people have the right to determine their own fate through internal dialogue that ends all of their crises, he went on to say.

The United States, European Union and some Arab nations began imposing sanctions after Assad’s brutal crackdown on the 2011 uprising against his rule and tightened them as the conflict spiraled into war. Some are on individuals in Assad’s government, including freezing of assets. But many target the government in general, including bans on many financial and banking dealings, on oil purchases and on investment or trade in some sectors, crippling the wider economy.

There are exemptions when it comes to humanitarian aid, but relief organizations have said that overcompliance by financial institutions hinders their operations.

At the gathering, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said sanctions against “Assad’s henchmen who committed serious crimes” must remain in place.

But she called for “a smart approach to sanctions, providing rapid relief for the Syrian population. Syrians now need a quick dividend from the transition of power.” She did not elaborate but announced an additional 50 million euros ($51.2 million) in German aid for food, emergency shelters and medical care.

EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, who also attended the meeting, said European countries want to see a government that includes all of Syria’s religious and ethnic communities. “We want to see inclusivity of women also in the process, so these are the things that we are going to discuss,” she said.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said his country, which was a strong supporter of the Syrian opposition to Assad, would try to help Syria in normalizing ties with the international community.

He said it was important to establish “a balance between the expectations of the international community and the realities faced by the new administration in Syria.”

He pledged Turkish support to the new government, especially in combating threats from the ISIS group. “As Türkiye, we are ready to do our part to ease the difficult path ahead for the Syrian people,” he said in comments carried by Türkiye’s state-run Anadolu Agency.

Last week, the United States eased some of its restrictions on Syria, with the US Treasury issuing a general license, lasting six months, that authorizes certain transactions with the Syrian government, including some energy sales and incidental transactions.

The US has also dropped a $10 million bounty it had offered for the capture of Ahmad al-Sharaa, a Syrian rebel leader formerly known as Abu Mohammed al-Golani, whose forces led the ouster of Assad last month. Al-Sharaa was a former senior al-Qaeda fighter who broke with the group years ago and has pledged an inclusive Syria that respects the rights of religious minorities.

The opposition led a lightning insurgency that ousted Assad on Dec. 8 and ended his family’s decades-long rule.

Much of the world severed ties with Assad and imposed sanctions on his government — and its Russian and Iranian allies — over alleged war crimes and the manufacturing of the amphetamine-like stimulant Captagon, which reportedly generated billions of dollars as packages of the little white pills were smuggled across Syria’s porous borders.

With Assad out of the picture, Syria’s new authorities hope that the international community will pour money into the country to rebuild its battered infrastructure and make its economy viable again.

Sunday’s meeting brought together foreign ministers and representatives from Bahrain, Egypt, France, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Spain, Syria, Türkiye, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, as well as the Secretary-General of the Arab League, the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, the Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council, and the UN Special Envoy for Syria.

The meeting also addressed concerns over Israel's incursions into the buffer zone and neighboring sites in Mount Hermon and Quneitra Governorate. Participants underscored the need to respect Syria's unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity.

Prince Faisal reiterated the Saudi Arabia’s strong condemnation of Israel's incursions into Syrian territories, calling them violations of international law and the 1974 disengagement agreement. He demanded the immediate withdrawal of Israeli forces and renewed the Kingdom's rejection of such actions as acts of aggression and occupation.



Saudi FM: We Welcome Trump's Decision to Allow More Time for Diplomacy to End the War

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah. (SPA)
Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah. (SPA)
TT

Saudi FM: We Welcome Trump's Decision to Allow More Time for Diplomacy to End the War

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah. (SPA)
Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah. (SPA)

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah expressed on Wednesday the Kingdom's appreciation for US President Donald Trump’s granting negotiations more opportunity to reach an agreement that ends the war on Iran and restores security and freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz

In a statement, the Saudi Foreign Minister underlined the Kingdom's appreciation for diplomatic efforts aimed at containing the escalation.

He added that Saudi Arabia remained supportive of ongoing mediation efforts carried out by Pakistan and urged Iran to seize "the opportunity to avoid the dangerous implications of escalation". 

Prince Faisal stressed the importance of leveraging this opportunity to avoid further tensions, saying Saudi Arabia is awaiting Iran’s response to the efforts that aim to reach an agreement that achieves lasting peace and boosts regional and international security and stability.

Trump announced on Monday that he had postponed an attack on Iran set for Tuesday in response to a request from Gulf leaders.


UAE Demands that Iraq Halt Attacks Launched from its Territories

A handout picture obtained from the media office of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on February 13, 2020 shows a general view of the power plant in the western Al Dhafra Region of Abu Dhabi on the Gulf coastline about 50 kilometers west of Ruwais. (Barakah Nuclear Power Plant / AFP)
A handout picture obtained from the media office of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on February 13, 2020 shows a general view of the power plant in the western Al Dhafra Region of Abu Dhabi on the Gulf coastline about 50 kilometers west of Ruwais. (Barakah Nuclear Power Plant / AFP)
TT

UAE Demands that Iraq Halt Attacks Launched from its Territories

A handout picture obtained from the media office of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on February 13, 2020 shows a general view of the power plant in the western Al Dhafra Region of Abu Dhabi on the Gulf coastline about 50 kilometers west of Ruwais. (Barakah Nuclear Power Plant / AFP)
A handout picture obtained from the media office of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on February 13, 2020 shows a general view of the power plant in the western Al Dhafra Region of Abu Dhabi on the Gulf coastline about 50 kilometers west of Ruwais. (Barakah Nuclear Power Plant / AFP)

The United Arab Emirates strongly condemned on Wednesday “the unprovoked terrorist drone attacks launched from Iraqi territory, including an attack targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on Sunday, which struck an electricity generator located outside the inner perimeter of the plant.”

In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stressed the UAE’s “strong condemnation and categorical rejection of the heinous terrorist attacks launched from Iraqi territory against critical civilian institutions across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, in flagrant violation of their sovereignty, airspace, and in clear breach of the principles of international law, international humanitarian law, and the Charter of the United Nations.”

The Ministry underscored the importance of the Iraqi government’s commitment “to immediately and unconditionally halt and prevent all acts of aggression launched from its territory,” stressing the need to address these threats in an immediate and responsible manner, in accordance with relevant international and regional laws and charters.

Furthermore, the Ministry underscored “the importance of Iraq fulfilling its role in strengthening security and stability in the region, thereby preserving its sovereignty and boosting its position as an active and responsible partner within the region.”


UN Security Council Condemns Attack on UAE Nuclear Plant

The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
TT

UN Security Council Condemns Attack on UAE Nuclear Plant

The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)

Russia joined other UN Security Council members on Tuesday to condemn the drone strike on the UAE's Barakah nuclear power plant, which Abu Dhabi said originated from Iraq where pro-Iranian proxies are active.

The unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator on Sunday near the Arab world's first nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries nor radiation leak.

"Attacks targeting peaceful nuclear facilities in any country of the world...are categorically unacceptable," said Russia's ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzya.

"Against this backdrop, our country categorically condemns the actions of those who carried out the strike targeting the plant on the territory of the UAE, thereby generating risks of escalation," he continued without naming any party.

"We trust that all stakeholders will do everything necessary to avoid a recurrence of such a dangerous incident," he added, noting that the strike likely would not have happened without the US-Israeli operation against Iran, Moscow's long-standing ally.

Abu Dhabi said Tuesday that the drones came from Iraq, where Iran-backed groups have been carrying out attacks against Gulf nations since the Middle East war erupted.

From China to the United States, the other members of the Security Council also condemned the strikes, which have not been claimed by any group.

"What sane nation, either directly or indirectly through proxies, sends drone attacks into an active and ongoing nuclear power plant?" asked US ambassador Mike Waltz, denouncing "outrageous and unacceptable attacks."

"What is the world left to believe? That if Iran...can't achieve a nuclear weapon -- and it can't use it as it has threatened over and over again on its neighbors -- that it's now going to find a clever and dangerous way to weaponize a nuclear power plant?

"I struggle to come to any other conclusion," he said.