Rubio Vows to Put State Dept at Core of Trump Foreign Policymaking

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he meets with Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, and Japanese Foreign Minister Iwaya Takeshi at the State Department in Washington, US, January 21, 2025. (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he meets with Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, and Japanese Foreign Minister Iwaya Takeshi at the State Department in Washington, US, January 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Rubio Vows to Put State Dept at Core of Trump Foreign Policymaking

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he meets with Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, and Japanese Foreign Minister Iwaya Takeshi at the State Department in Washington, US, January 21, 2025. (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he meets with Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, and Japanese Foreign Minister Iwaya Takeshi at the State Department in Washington, US, January 21, 2025. (Reuters)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio began his tenure as the top US diplomat on Tuesday by pledging to keep his department at the heart of US foreign policymaking and execute what he said was President Donald Trump's aim of promoting peace through strength.

Ending Russia's war in Ukraine would be official US policy, the former US senator said earlier on Tuesday, before he addressed hundreds of clapping and cheering State Department staff filling the building's lobby.

"We want to be at the centerpiece, we want to be at the core of how we formulate foreign policy, because we're going to have the best ideas of any agency, and because we're going to execute it better and faster and more effectively than any other agency in our government," Rubio told State Department staff.

He was proud to lead "the most effective, the most talented, the most experienced" diplomatic corps in the history of the world, he said.

His flattering comments drew applause, but it remains to be seen whether Rubio can deliver on his promise to make the department instrumental in policymaking given Trump's unconventional style that often involves bypassing institutions and conducting personal diplomacy.

Trump aides since last week have asked dozens of senior career diplomats at the department to step down from their roles, replacing key bureaucratic and policy positions with officials that they deem more aligned with their agenda.

“There will be changes, but the changes are not meant to be destructive. They're not meant to be punitive," Rubio said. "The changes will be because we need to be a 21st century agency that can move ... at the speed of relevance."

Rubio, 53, a China hawk and staunch backer of Israel, was the first of Trump's cabinet nominees to be sworn into office on Tuesday, and pledged to carry out Trump's foreign policy of "furthering the national interest of this country."

Rubio was a long-time member of the Senate foreign relations and intelligence committees and is now the first Latino US secretary of state. The son of immigrants from Cuba, he has also pushed for tough measures against the Communist-ruled island and its allies, especially the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

'PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH'

During his confirmation hearing last week, the new top US diplomat said both Moscow and Kyiv would have to give concessions to end the war and suggested Ukraine would have to give up its goal of regaining all the territory Russia has taken in the last decade.

Rubio echoed those comments to NBC's "Today" show on Tuesday ahead of his swearing-in.

"It’s going to be the official policy of the United States that the war has to end and we’re going to do everything possible to bring that about," he said.

Former President Joe Biden, who sent billions of dollars of US weapons to Ukraine after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, insisted it was up to Ukraine to decide if and when to enter peace talks with Russia.

Trump, while campaigning for president, said he would quickly end the war, without saying how he would do so.

Rubio said it would be "complicated ... because every side's going to have to give something."

"The only way conflicts like this end is ... not in public pronouncements," Rubio said. "They end in hard, vibrant diplomacy that the US seeks to engage in, in the hopes of bringing an end to this conflict that’s sustainable, in a way that assures the security of Ukraine and our partners in the region, but that stops the killing and the dying and the destruction that we’ve been seeing for quite a while now."

Speaking at the White House after he was sworn in, Rubio promised he would carry out Trump's foreign policy of "furthering the national interest of this country."

He added that another foreign policy goal under Trump will be "the promotion of peace. Of course, peace through strength, peace and always without abandoning our values."



Schools Evacuated as Magnitude 5.6 Quake Hits Eastern Türkiye

People are seen in front of a Turkish national flag hanged on a wall to mark the 101th anniversary of the Turkish Republic’s foundation a head of the Republic Day, in Istanbul, Türkiye, October 28, 2024. (Reuters)
People are seen in front of a Turkish national flag hanged on a wall to mark the 101th anniversary of the Turkish Republic’s foundation a head of the Republic Day, in Istanbul, Türkiye, October 28, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Schools Evacuated as Magnitude 5.6 Quake Hits Eastern Türkiye

People are seen in front of a Turkish national flag hanged on a wall to mark the 101th anniversary of the Turkish Republic’s foundation a head of the Republic Day, in Istanbul, Türkiye, October 28, 2024. (Reuters)
People are seen in front of a Turkish national flag hanged on a wall to mark the 101th anniversary of the Turkish Republic’s foundation a head of the Republic Day, in Istanbul, Türkiye, October 28, 2024. (Reuters)

Eastern Türkiye was struck by a magnitude 5.6 earthquake Wednesday, emergency services said.

It hit the Battalgazi district of Malatya province at 9 a.m. and the depth was 7 kilometers (4.3 miles), according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency.

There were no immediate reports of damage, but TV images showed schools being evacuated and residents rushing outside.

Türkiye sits on top of major fault lines and earthquakes are frequent.

In 2023, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake killed more than 53,000 people in Türkiye and destroyed or damaged hundreds of thousands of buildings in 11 southern and southeastern provinces. Another 6,000 people were killed in the northern parts of neighboring Syria.


Russia Shows Troops Moving Nuclear Warheads in Major Exercise

A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026. (Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026. (Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Russia Shows Troops Moving Nuclear Warheads in Major Exercise

A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026. (Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026. (Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)

Russia on Wednesday showed what it said was footage of troops delivering nuclear warheads to mobile Iskander-M launch systems, loading them and moving them undetected to launch sites as part of a major nuclear exercise.

In a statement released to state media, the Defense Ministry said ‌its forces ‌had practiced bringing units ‌to "the ⁠highest levels of combat readiness ⁠for the use of nuclear weapons".

The three-day exercise, which started on Tuesday and is taking place across Russia and Belarus, comes at a time when Moscow is locked ⁠in what it says is ‌an existential ‌struggle with the West over Ukraine and tensions ‌with NATO and Europe over ‌the war are running high.

The Defense Ministry said on Tuesday that the drills, which involve 64,000 military personnel, over 200 missile ‌launchers, 140 aircraft, 73 surface ships and 13 submarines, would ⁠include rehearsing ⁠launch procedures for Russian tactical nuclear weapons based in Belarus.

Video of the training element showed Russian nuclear forces moving in convoy through a heavily forested area, camouflaging their vehicles, and raising a launch tube into firing position.

With a range of up to 500 km (310 miles), the Iskander-M can carry both nuclear and conventional warheads.


Taiwan Leader Says ‘Foreign Forces’ Cannot Decide Island’s Future

 Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te speaks at a news conference on the second anniversary of his taking office, at the presidential building in Taipei, Taiwan May 20, 2026. (EPA)
Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te speaks at a news conference on the second anniversary of his taking office, at the presidential building in Taipei, Taiwan May 20, 2026. (EPA)
TT

Taiwan Leader Says ‘Foreign Forces’ Cannot Decide Island’s Future

 Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te speaks at a news conference on the second anniversary of his taking office, at the presidential building in Taipei, Taiwan May 20, 2026. (EPA)
Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te speaks at a news conference on the second anniversary of his taking office, at the presidential building in Taipei, Taiwan May 20, 2026. (EPA)

Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said Wednesday that "foreign forces" cannot decide the future of the democratic island, which relies heavily on US security backing to deter a potential Chinese attack.

Lai's remarks came days after US President Donald Trump suggested arms sales to Taiwan could be used as a bargaining chip with China, which claims the island is part of its territory and has threatened to seize it by force.

"Taiwan's future cannot be decided by foreign forces, nor can it be held hostage by fear, division, or short-term interests," Lai said in a speech to mark the second year of his presidency.

Trump's comments in an interview with Fox News and on board Air Force One followed a state visit to Beijing last week where Chinese President Xi Jinping pressed the US leader not to support Taiwan.

Since then, Lai's government has been on the offensive, insisting that US policy on Taiwan has not changed and that Trump made no commitments to China on arms sales to the island.

Taipei says China is the "root cause" of regional instability and US arms sales are a legal commitment to the defense of the island democracy.

In his remarks on Wednesday, Lai said his government was increasing defense spending to "prevent a war", not to start one, and noted that "threats are greater than ever before".

"Taiwan must have the capability to protect itself and to uphold peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait," Lai said.

Lai said Taiwan is willing to "engage in healthy and orderly exchanges with China" on an equal footing, but insisted "we will not sacrifice our sovereignty and democratic way of life."

China's Taiwan Affairs Office said Lai's speech was "full of lies and deception, hostility and confrontation", Xinhua reported.

- 'Status quo' -

Since Trump took office, Taiwan has been under intense pressure to spend more on its own protection and increase investment in the United States.

Taiwan has pouring billions of dollars into upgrading its military and developing its own defense industry, but the island remains heavily reliant on US sales of high-tech weaponry that it would need in a conflict with China.

Taiwan's parliament recently approved a $25 billion defense spending bill that will be used for US weapons.

Lawmakers have said the funds will cover nearly $9 billion of the $11.1 billion arms package announced by Washington in December and a second phase of arms sales -- not yet approved by the United States -- worth around $15 billion.

Trump has said China and Taiwan need to "cool down", and that he will decide on arms sales "over the next fairly short period of time".

Lai said Wednesday that if he has the chance to speak to Trump, who has raised the possibility of a call between the two leaders, he will emphasize that his government "upholds the status quo" and it's China "undermining" peace and stability.

Washington switched recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979. A conversation between Lai and Trump would be a major break in US diplomatic policy and risk a rupture with Beijing.