US Mideast Envoy Says Phase Two Gaza Talks to Continue This Week

 Buildings lie in ruin inside Gaza, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel February 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Buildings lie in ruin inside Gaza, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel February 15, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

US Mideast Envoy Says Phase Two Gaza Talks to Continue This Week

 Buildings lie in ruin inside Gaza, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel February 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Buildings lie in ruin inside Gaza, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel February 15, 2025. (Reuters)

US Middle envoy Steve Witkoff said on Sunday that talks on phase two of a ceasefire deal between Israel and Palestinian militants Hamas would continue this week "at a location to be determined" to figure out how to reach a successful conclusion.

He told Fox News that he had "very productive and constructive" calls on Sunday with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Qatar's Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani and Egypt's director of intelligence.

Witkoff said they spoke about "the sequencing of phase two, setting forth positions on both sides, so we can understand ... where we are today, and then continuing talks this week at a location to be determined so that we can figure out how we get to the end of phase two successfully."



Morocco Residents Begin Returning to Northwest as Flood Waters Recede

Royal Armed Forces and civil authorities work together to address flooding risks amid rising waters in the Loukkos River, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco February 2, 2026. Moroccan authorities/Handout via REUTERS
Royal Armed Forces and civil authorities work together to address flooding risks amid rising waters in the Loukkos River, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco February 2, 2026. Moroccan authorities/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Morocco Residents Begin Returning to Northwest as Flood Waters Recede

Royal Armed Forces and civil authorities work together to address flooding risks amid rising waters in the Loukkos River, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco February 2, 2026. Moroccan authorities/Handout via REUTERS
Royal Armed Forces and civil authorities work together to address flooding risks amid rising waters in the Loukkos River, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco February 2, 2026. Moroccan authorities/Handout via REUTERS

Moroccan authorities began organizing the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit northwestern areas as weather conditions improved, state media showed on Monday.

Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February, to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.

Most residents of Ksar El Kebir, 213 km north of Rabat, are now allowed to return home, except for those living in a few neighbourhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.

Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to help transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other cities, or in centers and camps provided by authorities, state TV showed. Morocco plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister's office said last week, declaring the hardest-hit municipalities disaster areas, Reuters reported.

The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160% of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream after exceptional inflows, leading to rising water levels in the Loukous river which inundated Ksar El Kebir and surrounding plains.

Rainfall this winter was 35% above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.

Morocco's national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70% from 27% a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.

The exceptional rainfall ended a seven-year drought that had pushed the country to ramp up investments in desalination.


Australian Citizens with Alleged ISIS Ties Depart Syria’s Roj for Repatriation

Family members of suspected ISIS militants who are Australian nationals walk toward a van bound for the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)
Family members of suspected ISIS militants who are Australian nationals walk toward a van bound for the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)
TT

Australian Citizens with Alleged ISIS Ties Depart Syria’s Roj for Repatriation

Family members of suspected ISIS militants who are Australian nationals walk toward a van bound for the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)
Family members of suspected ISIS militants who are Australian nationals walk toward a van bound for the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)

A group of Australian citizens left on Monday a camp in northeast Syria housing people with alleged ties to ISIS militants to begin the journey to their home country, part of an ongoing repatriation process.

Relatives of the 34 individuals, from 11 families, traveled from Australia to accompany them, said Hakmiyeh Ibrahim, the director of the Roj camp. They will make their way to the Syrian capital, Damascus, and then fly to Australia, The Associated Press reported.

Roj camp houses about 2,200 people from around 50 nationalities, mostly women and children, who have supposed links to the extremist group. Most in the camp are not technically prisoners and have not been accused of a crime, but they have, in effect, been detained in the heavily guarded camp, controlled by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

The most well-known resident of the Roj camp, Shamima Begum, was 15 when she and two other girls fled from London in 2015 to marry ISIS fighters in Syria. Begum married a Dutch man fighting for ISIS and had three children, who all died. She recently lost an appeal against the British government’s decision to revoke her UK citizenship.

Monday's operation is the first this year. Ibrahim, the camp director, said 16 families were repatriated last year, including German, British and French nationals. In 2022, three Australian families were repatriated.

The fate of the Roj camp and the similar but larger al-Hol camp has been a matter of debate for years. Human rights groups have cited poor living conditions and pervasive violence in the camps, but many countries have been reluctant to take back their citizens who are detained there.

Government forces took control of al-Hol camp last month amid fighting with the SDF that led to state forces seizing most of the territory in northeast Syria previously controlled by the Kurdish forces.

The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of al-Hol camp have left and that the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.

Separately, thousands of accused ISIS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq by the US military to stand trial there.


Aid Mechanisms Deployed to Fill UN Void in Yemen’s Houthi-Controlled Areas

The Houthis deprived millions of Yemenis of life-saving aid (local media)
The Houthis deprived millions of Yemenis of life-saving aid (local media)
TT

Aid Mechanisms Deployed to Fill UN Void in Yemen’s Houthi-Controlled Areas

The Houthis deprived millions of Yemenis of life-saving aid (local media)
The Houthis deprived millions of Yemenis of life-saving aid (local media)

Humanitarian operations in Yemen are entering a new and more complex phase after the United Nations was forced to rely on alternative aid-delivery mechanisms in Houthi-controlled areas, following the closure of its offices and the seizure of its assets. The move has reshaped relief efforts in one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

The shift comes as Amman prepares to host an international donor conference aimed at curbing the rapid deterioration in food security, amid warnings that hunger could spread to millions more people this year.

Recent humanitarian estimates show that about 22.3 million Yemenis - nearly half the population - will require some form of assistance in 2026, an increase of 2.8 million from last year. The rise reflects deepening economic decline and persistent restrictions on humanitarian work in conflict zones.

Aid sources say the United Nations is reorganizing its operations by transferring responsibility for distributing life-saving assistance to a network of partners, including international and local non-governmental organizations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, which continues to operate in those areas.

The transition aims to ensure continued access to food and medicine for the most vulnerable despite the absence of a direct UN presence, which has been undermined by restrictions imposed by the Houthis.

International agencies are increasingly adopting a “remote management” model to reduce risks to staff and maintain aid flows. Relief experts caution, however, that this approach brings serious challenges, including limited field oversight and difficulties ensuring aid reaches beneficiaries without interference.

Humanitarian reports warn that operational constraints have already deprived millions of Yemenis of essential assistance at a time of unprecedented food insecurity. More than 18 million people are suffering from acute hunger, with millions classified at emergency levels under international food security standards.

The upcoming donor conference in Jordan is seen as a pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support and address a widening funding gap that threatens to scale back critical humanitarian programs.

Discussions are expected to focus on new ways to deliver aid under security and administrative constraints and on strengthening the role of local partners with greater access to affected communities.

Yemen’s crisis extends beyond food. The health sector is under severe strain, with about 40 percent of health facilities closed or at risk of closure due to funding shortages. Women and girls are particularly affected as reproductive health services decline, increasing pregnancy and childbirth-related risks.

The World Health Organization has warned that deteriorating conditions have fueled outbreaks of preventable diseases amid falling immunization rates, with fewer than two-thirds of children receiving basic vaccines.

More than 18,600 measles cases and 188 deaths were recorded last year, while Yemen reported the world’s third-highest number of suspected cholera cases between March 2024 and November 2025.