Druze Consensus on Rejecting Becoming Embroiled in Civil War in Syria

Prominent Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt addresses the gatherers during Monday's meeting Beirut. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Prominent Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt addresses the gatherers during Monday's meeting Beirut. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Druze Consensus on Rejecting Becoming Embroiled in Civil War in Syria

Prominent Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt addresses the gatherers during Monday's meeting Beirut. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Prominent Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt addresses the gatherers during Monday's meeting Beirut. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Druze Sheikh Aql in Lebanon Sami Abou al-Mona stressed on Monday that the Druze community is committed to integration in society and will "not be protected by an enemy."

Prominent Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt warned that "danger is lurking against the essence of our creed and Arab heritage" in Lebanon and beyond.

The leaders made their remarks at a large Druze gathering in Beirut in wake recent developments in Syria and Israeli stances related to the Druze in Damascus. The gatherers, which included senior Druze clerics and figures, were in agreement in rejecting civil war in Syria.

"Despite the changes and no matter how great the challenges, we are dedicated to preserving existential principles and the sect will not abandon them," declared Abou al-Mona.

For his part, Jumblatt said he will pay a new visit to Damascus soon. The former MP was among the first Lebanese officials to travel to Syria after the collapse of the former Assad regime in December. He met with interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa in Damascus.

Jumblatt said on Monday: "Zionism is using the Druze as soldiers and officers to oppress the Palestinian people in Gaza and the West Bank. Today, they want to pounce on Jabal al-Arab." Jabal al-Arab is a predominantly Druze region in Syria’s southern Sweida province.

"This phase is far more dangerous than the situation we were in on May 17 and the days of the Israeli occupation of Beirut," warned Jumblatt.

"The danger is threatening the essence of our creed and Arab heritage in Lebanon to Jabal al-Arab. The Palestinian cause is another issue and we will leave it up to its people to decide whatever they want," he added.

Furthermore, Jumblatt underlined the need to take the "right stance" during this phase, warning of a "major plot" to drag "the weak willed to a civil war."

"Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif [the Druze leader in Israel] claims to represent the Druze in the region in cooperation with the Zionists. This is not true," he went on to say.

Tensions in Syria

Tensions have been high between the Druze and the Syria’s new rulers, leading to clashes between the two parties and Israel’s threat to intervene to protect the former.

Last week, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that "one person was killed and nine others from Jaramana were injured during clashes between security forces affiliated with the new authority and local gunmen tasked with protecting the area."

It could not specify whether the killed person was a civilian or a local fighter.

Tensions began on Friday when a dispute led to the killing of one security forces member and the wounding of another in a shooting at a checkpoint in Jaramana in Damascus, according to the Observatory.

Syria's official news agency, SANA, quoted Colonel Hossam al-Tahhan, the local head of security, as saying the checkpoint had stopped Ministry of Defense personnel as they entered the area to visit their relatives.

After surrendering their weapons, they were assaulted and "their vehicle was directly targeted by gunfire," resulting in the casualties, Tahhan said.

He warned such incidents could have repercussions on "Syria's security, stability, and unity."

Tahhan said security forces have since started to deploy in the area.

Jaramana's Druze said in a statement that they would "withdraw protection from all offenders and outlaws" and pledged to hand over anyone proven responsible to "the relevant authorities to face justice."

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz on Saturday warned Syria's new rulers not "to harm the Druze", adding the military has been ordered "to prepare and to send a firm and clear warning: if the regime harms the Druze, it will suffer the consequences."

An Israeli defense ministry statement said the military has been instructed to prepare to defend a Druze settlement in the suburbs of Damascus, asserting that the minority it has vowed to protect was "under attack" by Syrian forces.



Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
TT

Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)

Military escalation in Yemen is entering a new phase after the National Defense Council ordered an expansion of air and missile deterrence operations against the Houthis, a move military experts say lays the groundwork for shifting from repelling attacks to striking their sources.

Experts told Asharq Al-Awsat that the deployment of government drones marks a significant change in the balance of power. They believe government forces may possess more advanced drones that have yet to be deployed, while cautioning that the confrontation remains tied to regional tensions and calculations in Iran and the United States.

From defense to preemptive strikes

Brig. Gen. Yasser Saleh, a Yemeni military and strategic expert, said the National Defense Council’s directive aims to neutralize Houthi missile and drone capabilities amid the group’s continued escalation on battlefronts and attacks on vital facilities and infrastructure.

Government operations initially focused on repelling attacks because forces lacked sufficient air defense systems to intercept missiles and drones, Saleh explained.

Raising the level of deterrence would mean conducting preemptive strikes against launch sites and other sources of fire, reducing the Houthis’ ability to mount further attacks, he added.

Saleh described the deployment of government drones as a major development because ground forces require close air support. Drones can conduct reconnaissance, identify targets and strike enemy movements, potentially becoming a key asset if developments lead to a decisive battle.

Government forces are currently using small loitering drones and others capable of dropping munitions, while they are believed to possess more advanced aircraft capable of carrying guided missiles, flying longer distances and striking targets deep inside Houthi-held territory, he said.

Unifying government forces would also allow simultaneous operations on multiple fronts, preventing the Houthis from choosing the time and place of battle or concentrating their forces on a single axis, Saleh went on to say.

Possible offensive

Brig. Gen. Mohammed Al-Kumaim, a Yemeni military expert, said expanded deterrence operations could pave the way for the use of strategic-range drones alongside advanced rocket launchers with ranges of 40 to 60 kilometers.

Potential targets could include command, control and communications centers, supply and reinforcement routes, and missile and drone launch sites.

Al-Kumaim described heavy fire against forward Houthi positions as “preparatory fire” that typically precedes offensive operations, particularly as the group continues to mass forces across several fronts.

He called the deployment of drones a “qualitative shift,” although those seen so far have limited range and capabilities.

Government forces are believed to possess other systems that have yet to enter combat, including the Naqam, Ayban and Shaheen, as well as specialized units trained to operate them.

Al-Kumaim said government forces are better organized than they were in 2022, with a unified operations room and stronger coordination among military fronts and formations.

Rebuilding deterrence

Political and military expert Abdul Wahab Buhaibeh said the council’s directives shift government forces from reacting to Houthi attacks toward seizing the initiative.

He expects longer-range drones to be deployed for reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, artillery and missile fire correction, as well as direct strikes.

The directives also include heightened readiness, stronger early-warning capabilities, intensified intelligence operations and tighter security and maritime measures to track weapons-smuggling routes to the Houthis, alongside preparations for possible ground operations.

Buhaibeh described the approach as a multidimensional strategy combining air and missile operations with security, intelligence and maritime efforts to rebuild deterrence after years in which the Houthis benefited from their relative superiority in missiles and drones and divisions among their opponents.

Yemen and the regional conflict

The experts agreed that Yemen’s escalation cannot be separated from the broader regional conflict.

Saleh said Tehran could push its allies to widen the confrontation if fighting with Washington resumes, while Buhaibeh warned that continued Houthi control of Hodeidah and the Red Sea coast gives Iran leverage over international shipping.

Speaking to AFP, Yemen’s information minister had warned of a Houthi plan to seize coastal areas near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait.

Three Houthi military sources and a spokesman for government forces stationed near the strait also told the agency that the group was planning to advance toward those areas.

Saleh said mounting domestic pressure on the Houthis, combined with regional tensions, could lead to a broader confrontation and potentially pave the way for what he called a “battle of liberation.”

Al-Kumaim, meanwhile, stressed the need for a decisive move before Yemen’s crisis again becomes part of potential US-Iran arrangements, saying the situation is heading toward further escalation but remains dependent on regional and international developments.


US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
TT

US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo

The United States announced new sanctions Thursday against a Hezbollah financing network, while highlighting the Lebanese armed group's close ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

Hezbollah's legal designation as a terrorist organization has been amended to note that it operates in "service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps," particularly the elite Quds Force, the Treasury Department said in a statement.

The new redesignation "specifies that Hezbollah is an Iranian proxy, not a stand-alone operation as implied by the previous designation," a State Department official said.

"This underscores that Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state."

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the broader Middle East war in March with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.

Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.

"This action builds on years of US designations that have repeatedly documented the operational, financial, and logistical integration between Hezbollah and the IRGC-QF," the State Department official said, calling Hezbollah "an extension" of the latter.

"It is not a Lebanese resistance movement," as Hezbollah describes itself, the official said.

The new sanctions target 10 people who are allegedly part of a network that transfers cash to Hezbollah, which has already been punished with US sanctions many times, the Treasury statement said.

The network utilizes couriers travelling on commercial airline flights “to move up to hundreds of millions of dollars between jurisdictions, providing an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions," the statement said.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said earlier on Thursday that he would hold a press conference on Monday about "the toughest sanctions in history" that Washington plans to impose on Iran.

He said that a plan to sharply increase pain from economic sanctions on Iran aims to "collapse" the country's government.

"It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime," he told CNBC. "This is going to be the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world."


Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
TT

Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)

Secretary-General of the Arab League Nabil Fahmy denounced Israel’s violations against Palestinian, Syrian, and Lebanese territories saying they cannot be viewed as isolated incidents or justified by fabricated security claims.

He said these actions reflect a persistent approach marked by the use of force, the imposition of a fait accompli, and violations of states' sovereignty and territorial integrity, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

In a statement, Fahmy asserted that Israel continues to act as a state that disregards international law. He called on the UN Security Council and the international community to take responsibility and implement practical measures to stop these violations and end the policy of impunity.

Fahmy underscored that Israel's actions not only threaten countries in the region but also undermine the credibility of the international legal order. He said they reinforce the notion that force can serve as an alternative to international legitimacy.