North Korea Sent 3,000 More Soldiers to Russia this Year

South Korea's military says North Korea has sent an additional 3,000 troops to Russia this year for Moscow's war in Ukraine. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
South Korea's military says North Korea has sent an additional 3,000 troops to Russia this year for Moscow's war in Ukraine. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
TT
20

North Korea Sent 3,000 More Soldiers to Russia this Year

South Korea's military says North Korea has sent an additional 3,000 troops to Russia this year for Moscow's war in Ukraine. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
South Korea's military says North Korea has sent an additional 3,000 troops to Russia this year for Moscow's war in Ukraine. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP

North Korea sent an additional 3,000 troops to Russia this year and is still supplying missiles, artillery and ammunition to help Moscow fight Kyiv, Seoul's military said on Thursday.

Traditional allies Russia and North Korea have drawn closer since Moscow's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, with Seoul accusing leader Kim Jong Un of sending thousands of troops and containers of weapons to help Moscow.

Neither Moscow nor Pyongyang has officially confirmed the troop deployment but the two countries signed a sweeping military deal last year, including a mutual defense clause, when Russian President Vladimir Putin made a rare visit to North Korea.

"It is estimated that an additional 3,000 troops were sent between January and February as reinforcements," South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

It said that, of the initial 11,000 North Korean soldiers sent to Russia, 4,000 are believed to have been killed or wounded.

"In addition to manpower, North Korea continues to supply missiles, artillery equipment, and ammunition," the report by the JCS said.

"So far, it is assessed that North Korea has provided a significant quantity of short-range ballistic missiles (SRBMs), as well as about 220 units of 170mm self-propelled guns and 240mm multiple rocket launchers," it said.

It warned that "these numbers could increase depending on the situation on the battlefield".

North Korea launched a flurry of ballistic missiles last year in violation of UN sanctions.

Experts have warned that the nuclear-armed North may be testing weapons for export to Russia for use against Ukraine.

Attack drones

North Korean state media reported on Thursday that Kim oversaw the test of new suicide and reconnaissance drones featuring artificial intelligence technology.

The new strategic reconnaissance drone is capable of "tracking and monitoring different strategic targets and enemy troops' activities on the ground and the sea", the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

The suicide drones also demonstrated the striking capability "to be used for various tactical attack missions", according to KCNA.

Kim evaluated the improved performance of "the strategic reconnaissance drone... and the suicide attack drones with the introduction of new artificial intelligence".

He also agreed to a plan "for expanding the production capacity", KCNA said.

Pyongyang unveiled its attack drones last August, with experts saying the new capability in this area could be attributable to the North's budding alliance with Russia.

Experts have also warned that North Korean troops sent to fight for Russia will be gaining modern warfare experience, including how drones are used on the battlefield.

North Korea is now focusing on "unmanned weapon systems like drones because this is broadly part of their five-year defense development plan", Yang Moo-jin, the president of the University of North Korean Studies, told AFP.

In 2024, North Korea claimed that the South had sent drones over Pyongyang -- something Seoul's Ministry of Defense has denied.

This, coupled with the drone attacks experienced by North Korean troops fighting with Russia, has "likely made Chairman Kim Jong Un feel the urgency to complete these drone weapon systems quickly".

This would require sufficient scientific technology and funding and "considering that Russia does have some level of technological capability, we can assume that part of the motivation for dispatching troops might be to gain access to that technology", Yang said.

The JCS report comes four months after Kim ordered the "mass production" of attack drones that are designed to carry explosives and be deliberately crashed into enemy targets, effectively acting as guided missiles.

Pyongyang sent drones across the border in 2022 that Seoul's military was unable to shoot down, saying they were too small.



Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
TT
20

Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 

Ali Larijani, a senior advisor to Iran’s Supreme Leader, warned that any attack on Iran “will not go unanswered” and called on former US President Donald Trump to “define economic interests with Iran.” His remarks came two days after he suggested that Tehran could reconsider its nuclear program in response to any American military strike.

On Sunday, Trump threatened Iran with an unprecedented military response and further economic pressure if it failed to reach an agreement with Washington to curb its nuclear ambitions.

Earlier, on March 7, Trump announced he had sent a letter to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, urging negotiations on a new nuclear deal or facing possible military action.

In response, Khamenei warned on Monday that the US would receive a “strong slap” if it acted on Trump’s threats.

Hours later, Larijani cautioned that continued pressure on Iran could push the country toward developing nuclear weapons. In an interview with state television, he said: “The Supreme Leader’s fatwa forbids nuclear weapons, but if the US makes a mistake, the Iranian people may demand their production.” He added that even “rational Americans” understood that attacking Iran would only accelerate its nuclear ambitions.

On Wednesday, Larijani shared part of his television interview on his X account, stating: “Mr. Trump is a talented businessman who has built significant wealth. The US can define economic interests with Iran.”

He continued: “Trump claims to seek peace, so he should not speak the language of threats and war. Any attack on Iran will have consequences. We have experienced military leaders ready to respond.”

Larijani previously served as Iran’s parliamentary speaker during negotiations for the 2015 nuclear deal, which lifted US sanctions in exchange for restrictions on Tehran’s nuclear program. Western companies signed contracts with Iran following the agreement, but Khamenei later blocked economic cooperation with American firms.

“The catastrophic failures in our region, which cost previous US administrations more than $7 trillion, are proof that military intervention is not the answer,” Larijani added.

A day earlier, Iranian diplomat Abbas Araghchi said Tehran rejected direct talks with Washington due to “threats” and “bullying” by the US. “We do not negotiate under pressure, only as equals,” he said, without providing further details.

Iran has rolled back key commitments under the nuclear deal in two phases. The first began in May 2019, when Tehran announced a “gradual withdrawal” from the agreement. The second came under US President Joe Biden, who sought but failed to revive the deal.

In February 2021, Iran halted compliance with the Additional Protocol of the Non-Proliferation Treaty and began enriching uranium to 20%, later increasing it to 60% at its Fordow and Natanz facilities.

While Tehran insists its nuclear program is purely peaceful, Western powers argue there is no credible civilian justification for such high levels of uranium enrichment. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has noted that no country has enriched uranium to these levels without ultimately developing nuclear weapons.