Israeli Judiciary Examines Impeaching Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Budapest on April 4 (Reuters) 
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Budapest on April 4 (Reuters) 
TT

Israeli Judiciary Examines Impeaching Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Budapest on April 4 (Reuters) 
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Budapest on April 4 (Reuters) 

Well-informed sources in the Israeli judiciary have reported that the government's Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara is re-examining the possibility of impeaching Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu because of the hostile stance he and his government are taking against the head of the Shin Bet, Ronen Bar.

The dispute between the PM and Bar had lately gone far as to urge Netanyahu to cancel a security forum scheduled two days ago after Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced his intention to boycott such meetings if the Shin Bet chief attends.

Israeli sources said Netanyahu’s decision is a “serious violation of the rules of governance.”

They accused the government of letting internal rivalries override urgent national security concerns.

The PM decision to cancel the security meeting came amid increased tensions between the political echelon and the country’s security and judicial system, particularly considering the fresh security scandal, which saw a Shin Bet official arrested on suspicion of leaking classified information to an elected official and two journalists.

It also comes after Netanyahu’s cabinet voted last month to fire Bar, a decision that the High Court of Justice froze until further notice.

Unofficial Security Consultations

On Wednesday, Kan 11 reported that from now on, Netanyahu will hold the majority of his security meetings informally, to ensure that the head of the Shin Bet does not attend.

On Wednesday, Smotrich’s office said he notified Netanyahu he would not participate in security meetings if Bar was attending, calling him a “dangerous man” who uses Shin Bet tools for “personal needs” and to “take revenge on politicians and journalists.”

Opposition’s Reaction

In return, Opposition Leader Yair Lapid, who said that calling off a security cabinet meeting “because of a threat from an extremist minister is a direct violation of state security.”

He added that the “criminal government is a danger to every citizen of the State of Israel”.

Similarly, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum said that it was “alarmed” that “sensitive security discussions are being canceled due to personal and political disputes.”

“What other discussions will be canceled due to the same conflicts?” the forum asked. “Will the fate of the hostages be decided based on petty politics?

“Show responsibility, sit in one room and come up with an agreement that will return everyone,” it added.

Benny Gantz, chairman of the opposition National Unity party, said that the cancellation of the meeting was “reckless” and could harm Israel’s national security.



IRGC Signals Shift Toward Wider, More Offensive War

An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US billboard in Enghelab Square in central Tehran (EPA) 
An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US billboard in Enghelab Square in central Tehran (EPA) 
TT

IRGC Signals Shift Toward Wider, More Offensive War

An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US billboard in Enghelab Square in central Tehran (EPA) 
An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US billboard in Enghelab Square in central Tehran (EPA) 

A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps official has warned that Iran could shift from defensive to offensive military operations, as Tehran and allied armed groups in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon reportedly prepare plans to broaden the conflict and raise the cost for the United States and its allies.

Yadollah Javani, the IRGC’s deputy for political affairs, told Iranian state television that Iran’s military actions had so far been defensive because its adversaries had started the war, but could become offensive in the future.

He said the armed forces would adopt new approaches following recent appointments and directives from Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and warned Iran’s adversaries to expect what he described as strategic surprises.

The warning came as a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran would escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider region if diplomacy with Washington failed.

The official said Iran had decided to shift from a defensive posture to a “fully offensive” one and had given the United States “a few weeks” to fully implement the memorandum of understanding. The official noted that relying on pressure or mediators to secure a lasting agreement was no longer considered realistic.

Javani reiterated Iran’s position that ending the war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz depended on Washington fulfilling its commitments under the Islamabad memorandum. He said the waterway and the arrangements governing it would not return to their prewar status, adding that Iran’s talks with Oman over a shipping corridor concerned the period after hostilities had definitively ended.

He described Khamenei’s recent military appointments as a restructuring aimed at adapting Iran’s defense doctrine to current conditions. Mohammad Reza Naqdi, an adviser to the IRGC commander, has also spoken of moving from a defensive military doctrine toward a more offensive approach.

IRGC Deputy Commander Maj. Gen. Mostafa Izadi, meanwhile, claimed Iran had endured the war, sanctions and blockade while spending only a fraction of what its adversaries had spent. He also claimed Iranian forces had shot down more than 200 aircraft during the conflict.

At the same time, intercepted communications and intelligence indicate that the IRGC has been working with allies in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon on plans to expand the battlefield, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing regional officials.

According to the newspaper, Tehran used the relative lull following the June 17 memorandum with Washington to reorganize its military and security structure, rebuild capabilities and prepare for a broader confrontation, based on an assessment that war remained the most likely scenario and negotiations might amount only to a temporary pause.

Preparations reportedly included giving the IRGC greater influence over the regular military, reorganizing the chain of command, expanding counterintelligence efforts and accelerating missile and drone production while improving accuracy.

Iran also dispatched advisers and commanders to allied armed groups to discuss a possible expansion of the fighting. Plans included positioning missiles, naval weapons and drone launchers near the Red Sea, supplying allies with intelligence, target lists and operational advice, and threatening regional energy facilities if the United States struck similar infrastructure inside Iran.

Other options reportedly under consideration include preemptive strikes, operations on adversaries’ territory, possible sabotage of undersea internet cables, and greater use of the Strait of Hormuz and Red Sea to exert military and economic pressure.

The military restructuring has also placed veteran security figures in key positions, including Mohsen Rezaei, Hossein Taeb, Ali Abdollahi and Ahmad Vahidi, as Tehran prepares for the possibility of a broader confrontation.


Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
TT

Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)

Russia downed 180 drones in the Moscow region overnight, the capital's mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, said on the Telegram messaging app early on Tuesday, in one of the biggest Ukrainian air ‌attacks on ‌the Russian capital.

Drones ‌hit ⁠a warehouse of ⁠Russian e-commerce company Wildberries and other facilities near Moscow, regional governor Andrei Vorobyov said separately, adding that at least three ⁠people, including a 10-year-old ‌girl, were ‌injured in the region, reported Reuters.

Wildberries, a ‌frequent target of ‌Kyiv's attacks following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, said in a statement that the ‌warehouse experienced minor damage after drone debris hit ⁠one ⁠of its walls.

Overall, 620 drones were heading for the region surrounding the Russian capital between Monday evening and 5 a.m. (0200 GMT), according to Sobyanin, and Moscow was temporarily restricting flights at its airports.


UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
TT

UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) received a report on Tuesday that a vessel was struck ‌by an ‌unknown projectile ‌while ⁠transiting outbound in the ⁠Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty, with the ⁠remaining crew being ‌assisted ‌by the Omani Coast ‌Guard, Reuters said.

No environmental impact ‌has been reported and authorities are investigating, UKMTO said.

The incident ‌comes as shipping through the Strait of ⁠Hormuz remains ⁠severely disrupted, with vessel crossings still in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the war.