Iranian Foreign Minister Throws Ball in E3’s Court

 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
TT

Iranian Foreign Minister Throws Ball in E3’s Court

 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Thursday he was ready to travel to Europe for talks on Tehran's nuclear program, with France indicating European powers were also ready for dialogue if Tehran showed it was seriously engaged.

Iran is looking to build on the momentum of nuclear negotiations with the United States that resume in Oman on Saturday and after talks with Russia and China earlier this week.

“Iran's relations with the E3 (France, Britain, and Germany) ...have experienced ups and downs in recent history. Like it or not, they are currently down,” Araghchi wrote on X.

Tehran began indirect talks on its nuclear program with US President Donald Trump's administration earlier this month.

The two sides held a second round of nuclear talks last Saturday, with both sides indicating progress.

Trump, who abandoned the 2015 pact between Tehran and world powers during his first term in 2018, has threatened to attack Iran unless it reaches a new deal swiftly that would prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon.

In return, Tehran insists on lifting US sanctions in return for nuclear program restrictions.

Ball in E3’s Court

On his X account, Araghchi wrote that his country’s relations with the E3 have experienced ups and downs in recent history because “each side has its own narrative.”

He said placing blame is a futile exercise, and that what matters is that the status quo is lose-lose.

The FM noted that since last September in New York, he offered dialogue when he met E3 foreign ministers and indeed any other European counterpart.

“Instead of confrontation, I put forward cooperation not only on the nuclear issue, but in each and every other area of mutual interest & concern. They unfortunately chose the hard way,” the Iranian official said.

“I once again propose diplomacy. After my recent consultations in Moscow & Beijing, I am ready to take the first step with visits to Paris, Berlin & London ... The ball is now in the E3's court,” Araghchi said.

He concluded his post by noting that the E3 have an opportunity to do away with the grip of Special Interest groups and forge a different path. “How we act at this critical junction is likely to define the foreseeable future,” he said.

EU-US Coordination

When asked about Araghchi’s comments, France's foreign ministry spokesman Christophe Lemoine said the E3 favored dialogue but wanted to see how serious Iran was.

“The only solution is a diplomatic solution, and Iran must resolutely engage in this path and it's a proposal the E3 have put forward many times, so we will continue dialogue with the Iranians,” he told a news conference.

The United States did not tell European countries about the nuclear talks in Oman before Trump announced them, even though they hold a key card on the possible reimposition of UN sanctions on Tehran.

However, according to two European diplomats, the US lead technical negotiator Michael Anton briefed E3 diplomats in Paris on April 17, suggesting that coordination has improved, according to Reuters.

Rubio’s Warnings

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Wednesday that Iran will have to stop enriching uranium under any deal with the United States and could only import what is needed for a civilian nuclear program.

However, Iran has already made clear that its right to enrich uranium is not negotiable. When asked about Rubio's comments, a senior Iranian official, close to Iran's negotiating team, again said on Wednesday “zero enrichment is unacceptable,” according to Reuters.

“There's a pathway to a civil, peaceful nuclear program if they want one,” Rubio told the “Honestly with Bari Weiss” podcast on Tuesday.

“But if they insist on enriching, then they will be the only country in the world that doesn't have a 'weapons program,' ... but is enriching. And so I think that's problematic,” he said.

US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff last week said Iran does not need to enrich past 3.67% - a remark that raised questions as to whether Washington still wanted Tehran to dismantle its enrichment program.

Witkoff, initially suggested the US was open to allowing Iran to continue low-level uranium enrichment.

Many American conservatives and Israel, which wants Iran’s nuclear facilities destroyed, objected.

Witkoff issued what the Trump administration described as a clarification, saying, “Iran must stop and eliminate its nuclear enrichment and weaponization program.”

On Tuesday, Rubio said that Witkoff was initially talking about “the level of enriched material that they would be allowed to import from outside, like multiple countries around the world do for their peaceful civil nuclear programs.”

“If Iran wants a civil nuclear program, they can have one just like many other countries in the world have one, and that is they import enriched material,” he said.

Last week, Rubio urged European countries to swiftly make a significant decision regarding the reimposition of sanctions against Iran ahead of negotiations in Rome between US and Iranian representatives.

He warned that Europeans should anticipate receiving a report from the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) indicating that Iran is not only non-compliant but dangerously close to developing a nuclear weapon.

Relations between Iran and the European troika have deteriorated after the E3 activated a resolution at the IAEA Board of Governors meeting, criticizing Iran for “failing to cooperate fully” with the UN nuclear agency and urging Tehran to address concerns regarding uranium particles allegedly found at two nuclear sites in the country.

Last week, IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi visited Tehran where he discussed with Iranian officials means to resolve outstanding disputes. He then headed to Washington in an attempt to hold talks with US officials.

On Wednesday, Grossi said Iran has agreed to let in an International Atomic Energy Agency technical team in the coming days to discuss restoring camera surveillance at nuclear sites.

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog said the move was not directly linked to the US talks. But Grossi called it an encouraging sign of Iran’s willingness to reach terms in a potential deal.

On Wednesday, he urged Iran to explain tunnels built around a nuclear site but voiced optimism that US-Iran talks would land a deal.

The Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington think tank, released satellite imagery that it said showed a new, deeply buried tunnel alongside an older one around the Natanz site, as well as a new security perimeter.

“I've been raising this issue repeatedly, and I will continue to do so,” Grossi told reporters on a visit to Washington.

 



Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
TT

Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

Iran said Monday it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.

Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”

He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during the interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports and it was not clear whether this would meet Washington’s expectations.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked the country on Feb. 28.

Baghaei conceded the talks with Oman have gone slowly, “but we had planned, and still plan, to finalize the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement.”

His comments came as a 60-day deadline for finding an agreement to end the war expired, with no signs of a deal between the US and Iran.


Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
TT

Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)

Dozens of residents on Monday jeered the French prime minister as he arrived in a region hit by wildfires earlier this summer, in a show of anger over the government's handling of the worst such crisis in France in decades.

Some 200 people dressed in black gathered in front of the town hall in Le Porge in southwestern France, where 183 homes burned down when wildfires swept through the Gironde region in late July and early August, at one point even threatening the city of Bordeaux.

They jeered, whistled and shouted anti-government slogans as the tinted-window car with a flashing light carrying Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu approached for a meeting with the mayor of Le Porge, Martial Zaninetti, an AFP correspondent said.

"Where is he? Where is he?" the crowd shouted.

"It would have been the least he could do" for the prime minister to meet the residents, said Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensioner. "It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter."

Lecornu's office said he had spoken with affected residents and farmers.

"We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks," Lecornu said as he met local officials in the nearby town of Merignac after leaving Le Porge.

He had already visited Le Porge on Sunday afternoon to tour the municipality with the mayor -- a trip that had not been announced and took place without press cameras.

There is anger in the region among some residents who allege authorities prioritized fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula -- where many affluent Parisians take holidays -- over protecting homes of local residents.

"He doesn't want to meet us; it's a shame. We had things we wanted to say," said Ludivine Daurignac, organizer of a group of affected residents who plan to file complaints and get "truth, transparency, and justice".

"We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access," she said.

Having burned through 42,000 hectares, the fire was brought under control on August 1.

It was the largest such fire in France by surface area since 1949, with the flames coming within 15 kilometers (10 miles) of the Bordeaux metropolitan area and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists.


Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
TT

Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)

Iran said on Monday that two French embassy employees involved in a diplomatic dispute last month would not be allowed to return to Iran.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two had violated the Vienna Convention - which defines the rules and privileges of diplomatic missions - engaging in activities supporting Iranian civil society.

"Insisting that these individuals were engaged ⁠in activities related to ⁠supporting civil society is itself an admission that the Vienna Convention was violated," Baghaei told a weekly press conference, without elaborating.

Tehran has long been highly sensitive to what ⁠it sees as Western meddling in its internal affairs, especially since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in late February in a conflict that continues to rage.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot, in an interview with France Inter last month, said the mission of the two embassy employees concerned ⁠was ⁠to "develop programs supporting Iranian civil society, students, and artists (...) France is one of the countries in the world that does the most for Iranian civil society, and we have paid the price for it."

France summoned Iran's charge d'affaires on July 21 after accusing Iranian security forces of detaining and physically intimidating its embassy staff in Tehran.