Zaki to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Played its Part, up to Syria to Determine its Participation at Arab Summit

Assistant Secretary-General of the Arab League Ambassador Hossam Zaki. (Arab League)
Assistant Secretary-General of the Arab League Ambassador Hossam Zaki. (Arab League)
TT

Zaki to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Played its Part, up to Syria to Determine its Participation at Arab Summit

Assistant Secretary-General of the Arab League Ambassador Hossam Zaki. (Arab League)
Assistant Secretary-General of the Arab League Ambassador Hossam Zaki. (Arab League)

Iraq is hosting on May 17 a regular Arab League summit amid complex regional challenges and crises, including Israel’s war on Gaza, the severing of relations between Sudan and the United Arab Emirates and some parties in Baghdad’s wariness of the new rulers in Syria.

Assistant Secretary-General of the Arab League Ambassador Hossam Zaki told Asharq Al-Awsat that efforts are underway to mend ties between Sudan and the UAE.

He also hailed the Iraqi government’s handling of Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa's participation at the summit given the tensions between the neighbors following the ouster of Bashar al-Assad in December.

The is the second Arab League regular summit that is held amid the war on Gaza, which demands that leaders come up with a “cohesive Arab stance that takes into account the developments of the past months and which adopts Arab principles related to the Palestinian cause,” Zaki said.

Since the last summit, US President Donald Trump unveiled his plan to transform Gaza into the “Riviera of the Middle East,” which was vehemently rejected by Arab states. The countries countered by adopting a reconstruction plan for the enclave that ensures that its people remain in place.

Israel has since reignited the war, complicating peace efforts. “Israel is in control of the situation on the ground, making it difficult to challenge it through any means or decisions,” acknowledged Zaki. “All we have is political and diplomatic work.”

He recognized that political efforts are often doubted and dismissed, but they are actually “very important because they allow the Palestinian cause to remain alive, while the other party tries to kill it.”

“Israel’s attempts to mislead the public and distort facts can only be confronted by political and diplomatic work,” Zaki said. “We must continue to forge ahead along this path and hope that time is on our side.”

Several parties are banking on Washington to wield its influence on Israel to pressure it to stop the war. Zaki revealed that bilateral contacts are being held between Arab countries and the American administration in the hopes of achieving some form of breakthrough.

“It remains to be seen whether these contacts are a success,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Tensions between Sudan and the UAE will also weigh heavily on the Baghdad summit. The Sudanese government announced earlier this month that it was severing ties with Abu Dhabi over its support to the Rapid Support Forces in its war against the military.

Zaki described the situation as “difficult and thorny. It may not impact the overall work of the Arab League, but it will certainly impact discussions about the Sudanese crisis given the differences in positions.”

Efforts are underway to help bridge the gap between Sudan and the UAE, but they have yet to yield the desired results, he revealed.

On Syria, Zaki said the summit is significant because it will be the first since Assad’s ouster.

“Syria is an important country, and it plays a traditional role in Arab affairs. At the same time, however, it is facing several challenges that are threatening its unity,” he noted.

The Arab League had reinstated Syria’s membership in May 2023 after it was suspended in 2011 when the Assad regime violently cracked down on peaceful anti-regime protests.

Sharaa had taken part in an emergency Arab League summit in Cairo in March.

His participation at the Baghdad summit has stirred controversy in Iraq given the strained ties between it and the new rulers in Damascus. Some parties in Iraq have openly opposed his participation.

Zaki said that Iraq, as the host, has fulfilled its duty in inviting Syria to the summit. It is now up to Syria to determine who will represent it at the meeting.

He did not reveal which leaders have confirmed their attendance of the summit, saying that the meeting does not gain importance with who shows up, but with what its outcomes are.

It is important, however, that all countries are represented, he added.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.