Brazil Signs Real Madrid Coach Carlo Ancelotti 1 Year Ahead of 2026 World Cup

Real Madrid's Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti lifts the trophy to celebrate the victory at the end of the UEFA Champions League final football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, at Wembley stadium, in London, on June 1, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti lifts the trophy to celebrate the victory at the end of the UEFA Champions League final football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, at Wembley stadium, in London, on June 1, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Brazil Signs Real Madrid Coach Carlo Ancelotti 1 Year Ahead of 2026 World Cup

Real Madrid's Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti lifts the trophy to celebrate the victory at the end of the UEFA Champions League final football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, at Wembley stadium, in London, on June 1, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti lifts the trophy to celebrate the victory at the end of the UEFA Champions League final football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, at Wembley stadium, in London, on June 1, 2024. (AFP)

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti will leave the Spanish club and take over as coach of Brazil’s national team, the Brazilian soccer federation said Monday.

The 65-year-old Ancelotti, who will be Brazil's first full-time foreign coach in a century, is still under contract with Madrid. The last round of the Spanish league will be on May 25 and the CBF said in a statement that he will officially take over Brazil the following day.

“Bringing Carlo Ancelotti to coach Brazil is more than a strategic movement. It is a statement to the world that we are determined to recover the top of the podium,” CBF President Ednaldo Rodrigues said in a statement. “He is the greatest coach in history and, now, he will be with the greatest national team on the planet. Together, we will write new glorious chapters of Brazilian soccer.”

Rodrigues said Ancelotti will take charge of Brazil’s next two fixtures in South American World Cup qualifying, with his debut at Ecuador on June 5th and five days later in front of home fans against Paraguay in Sao Paulo.

Ancelotti's contract with Madrid ends next year but is expected to be terminated early.

He will replace Dorival Júnior, who held the job for 14 months and was fired in March after a 4-1 defeat at Argentina. Brazil lags in 4th position in World Cup qualifying after 14 matches and has its 33-year-old star Neymar still in difficulties to return to top form after an ACL injury in 2023. The top six teams will secure direct spots in next year’s tournament.

Ancelotti leaves Madrid after a frustrating season in which the team did not defend its European title and saw rival Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and get close to securing the league title after a 4-3 victory over Madrid on Sunday.

The Italian coach and Real Madrid are yet to comment on CBF's announcement.

BRAZIL'S WAIT

Ancelotti's signing ends a turbulent time on Brazil’s bench since Tite left after the 2022 World Cup quarterfinals elimination against Croatia. Under-20 coach Ramon Menezes and Fluminense coach Fernando Diniz took charge for several matches as Rodriguez sought Ancelotti to become coach.

Menezes and Diniz both fared poorly, and Ancelotti extended his deal with Madrid during that span. Dorival Júnior was then chosen in 2024 to take the team to the World Cup, but he was also fired after the same lack of success and unimpressive performances.

Al-Hilal coach Jorge Jesus, a 70-year-old Portuguese who won several titles with Brazil’s Flamengo in 2019, was the favorite to take the Brazil job until Madrid was knocked out of the Champions League by Arsenal earlier in April.

Brazil will be Ancelotti’s first international experience as full-time coach. He was an assistant to Arrigo Sacchi in the 1994 World Cup as Italy lost to Brazil in the final on penalties.

That ended a 24-year World Cup title drought for Brazil, the same time frame it will face next year in the United States, Mexico and Canada.

Ancelotti, who won Serie A titles as a player with Roma and AC Milan plus two European titles with the latter as a creative midfielder, started his full-time coaching career in 1995 at Italy's Reggiana.

He's also coached Parma, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Napoli and Everton, winning titles in Italy, England, Spain, France and Germany.

He twice won the Champions League with Milan 2003 and 2007, and added three more titles with Real Madrid in 2014, 2022 and last year.

Ancelotti will be only the second foreign coach to take Brazil into an international tournament.

The first was Uruguayan Ramón Platero, who coached Brazil in the 1925 South American championship, the predecessor of the current Copa America. He was on the job for 19 days and four matches of a round-robin competition with Paraguay and Argentina, with two wins, one loss and one draw in the final with Argentina, who lifted the title.

Portuguese coach Jorge Gomes de Lima, known as Joreca, shared Brazil’s coach position with local Flavio Costa in two friendly victories over Uruguay in 1944.

And in 1965 Argentine coach Filpo Nuñez coached Brazil for one day. Nuñez was Palmeiras’ coach, and Brazil’s soccer body chose the Sao Paulo-based club to play with national team shirts in a friendly against Uruguay in the opening of the Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte. The hosts won 3-0.

MADRID'S FUTURE

The announcement of Ancelotti’s departure came a day after Madrid lost its fourth straight match to Barcelona this season, falling seven points behind the Catalan rival with three rounds remaining.

Former player Xabi Alonso is widely expected to take over the club’s helm after he confirmed his departure from Bayer Leverkusen.

Alonso led Leverkusen to an unprecedented German league and cup double last year in his first full season after taking over the team when it was in the Bundesliga’s relegation zone the season before. He starred as a player as Madrid won a Spanish league title in 2012 and the 2014 Champions League before leaving for three Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich.

Madrid still has to play in the upcoming Club World Cup beginning next month.



Monfils Warms Up for Final French Open with Star-studded Farewell Party

FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
TT

Monfils Warms Up for Final French Open with Star-studded Farewell Party

FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)

Gael Monfils brought the party to Roland Garros on Thursday, teaming up with his wife Elina Svitolina to win a lively, star-studded exhibition match as he prepared for his final appearance at his home Grand Slam.

The popular Frenchman took center stage on Court Philippe-Chatrier for 'Gael & Friends', an evening that blended tennis, music and tributes to celebrate his two-decade journey on the professional tour.

The former world number six was joined by an array of leading players, including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Four-times Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka also ⁠featured, alongside Maria ⁠Sakkari and rising American talent Iva Jovic, while his former Davis Cup teammates Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Richard Gasquet added a nostalgic touch to the occasion.

Monfils and Svitolina capped the night by winning the exhibition event, delighting the Paris crowd in an event filled with laughter, trick shots and ⁠playful exchanges replacing the usual tension of a competition.

Monfils won 13 ATP titles and enjoyed memorable runs in Paris, including a semi-final appearance in 2008. He helped France to Davis Cup finals in 2010 and 2014.

While a Grand Slam title eluded him, his impact extended far beyond results and his on-court charisma made him a major draw card wherever he played.

"Thanks to you all for everything you've given me over the years," the 39-year-old showman said after the ⁠exhibition match. "It's ⁠been a dream of my life. I've always given my absolute most. I was never quite good enough to win a Grand Slam. But maybe I won something more important than that - a tennis career I'm proud of."

Svitolina, who had earlier called her husband "a magician" in a note written to their daughter, was reduced to tears as Monfils lingered on court, soaking up one final ovation, Reuters reported.

Monfils will play 25-year-old compatriot Hugo Gaston in the first round at Roland Garros next week, his 19th appearance in the main draw at the French Open.


Ronaldo's Brace Fires Al Nassr to Saudi League Title With 4-1 Win Over Damac

Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
TT

Ronaldo's Brace Fires Al Nassr to Saudi League Title With 4-1 Win Over Damac

Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice to help Al Nassr clinch the Saudi Pro League title with a 4-1 victory over Damac on the final day of the season, with Sadio Mane and Kingsley Coman also on the scoresheet for Jorge Jesus's side.

The win meant Al Nassr finished on 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal, who beat Al Fayha 1-0 but were left ⁠to settle for ⁠second place.

The triumph marks Al Nassr's first league crown since 2019 and the first Saudi title for Ronaldo, who joined the team in late 2022.

Soccer Football - Saudi Pro League - Al Nassr v Damac - Al Awwal Park, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - May 21, 2026 Al Nassr's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after winning the Saudi Pro League REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

Al Nassr broke the deadlock in the 34th ⁠minute when Mane rose to meet a Joao Felix corner, powering a header past the goalkeeper.

They extended their lead in the 52nd minute when Coman weaved past the defense before unleashing a fierce left-footed strike from outside the area into the bottom corner, Reuters reported.

Damac were handed a lifeline when Morlaye Sylla converted a penalty in the ⁠58th ⁠minute, but any hopes of a comeback were quickly extinguished.

Soccer Football - Saudi Pro League - Al Nassr v Damac - Al Awwal Park, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - May 21, 2026 Al Nassr's Cristiano Ronaldo and team members celebrate with the trophy after winning the Saudi Pro League REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

Ronaldo restored the two-goal cushion five minutes later, curling a sublime free kick into the net to make it 3-1.

The Portuguese great put the result beyond doubt in the 81st minute. He pounced on a loose ball after the Damac defense failed to clear a cross, smashing a powerful shot into the top corner.


French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”