Sharaa in First Interview with Jewish Newspaper: Stable Syria Will Not be Built Through Speeches, Slogans

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
TT

Sharaa in First Interview with Jewish Newspaper: Stable Syria Will Not be Built Through Speeches, Slogans

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa broke all barriers that surrounded ousted President Bashar al-Assad, when he spoke last week about his responsibilities and about Syria’s domestic and foreign policy.

He is direct in addressing taboo issues that were previously tackled with slogans in public and a different reality under the table, such as Syria’s relationship with Israel and the latter’s occupation of Syrian territory.

Legacy of Assad Regime

The last barrier Sharaa broke was an interview he made with a Jewish newspaper, the first since assuming power six months ago. The article, written by Jonathan Bass, was published by the Jewish Journal on May 28.

“Many Syrians see Sharaa not as a revolutionary but as a restorer, someone capable of stitching together a nation fatigued by war and fractured by identity. It is perhaps his very ordinariness, his refusal to play the strongman, despite his extremist former life, that makes him a man of the hour,” the Journal wrote.

Bass said the Syrian President carries himself with quiet conviction. “Sharaa is soft-spoken, but every word lands with deliberation. There is no triumph in his voice, only urgency,” he wrote.

In the interview, Sharaa said, “We have inherited more than ruins,” he said. “We’ve inherited trauma, mistrust, and fatigue. But we have also inherited hope. Fragile, yes, but real.”

For decades, Syria was ruled by a regime that confused loyalty with silence, coexistence with hate, and stability with suppression.

The Assad dynasty, first Hafez and then Bashar, ruled with an iron grip, using fear and executions to cement control, while the country’s institutions withered and dissent turned deadly.

Bass said Sharaa is clear-eyed about the legacy he inherits.

“It would be dishonest to speak of a clean slate,” Sharaa said. “The past is present, in the eyes of every person, on every street, in every family. But our duty now is not to repeat it. Not even as a softer version. We must create something entirely new.”

Trust of Syrians

According to Bass, Sharaa’s early moves have been cautious, yet deeply symbolic.

“He has ordered the release of political prisoners, initiated dialogue with opposition groups once exiled or silenced, and pledged to reform Syria’s notorious security apparatus,” he wrote at the Jewish Journal.

“His vision is that of a vibrant, multicultural, and pluralistic society. He supports the right of return for all Syrians whose assets were seized under the Assad regime,” Bass added.

“To uncover the truth behind Syria’s mass graves, Sharaa recognizes the need for partnership with the United States to provide forensic technology and equipment, from establishing DNA databases to securing cooperation from those responsible for past atrocities,” the journalist wrote.

Sharaa told the Journal, “If I am the only one speaking, then Syria has learned nothing. We are inviting all voices to the table, secular, religious, tribal, academic, rural, and urban. The state must listen now more than it commands.”

But will people trust again? Will they believe the promises of a government that rises from the ashes of dictatorship?

“I don’t ask for trust,” he replied. “I ask for patience and for scrutiny. Hold me accountable. Hold this process accountable. That is how trust will come.”

When Bass asked the president what Syrians most need right now, he answered without hesitation: “Dignity through work. Peace through purpose.”

In towns emptied by war and villages still scarred by conflict, the cry is not for politics but for normalcy, the chance to rebuild homes, raise children, and earn a living in peace.

Sharaa knows this, Bass wrote. He is pushing for emergency economic programs focused on job creation in agriculture, manufacturing, construction, and public services.

“It’s not about ideology anymore,” Sharaa told the Journal. “It’s about giving people a reason to stay, a reason to live, and a reason to believe.”

The Syrian President said, “Every young man with a job is one less soul at risk of radicalization. Every child in school is a vote for the future.”

He then emphasized partnerships with regional investors, microenterprise grants for returnees, and vocational training for youth who have known nothing but war.

“A stable Syria will not be built through speeches or slogans, it will be built through action: in the marketplace, in classrooms, on farms, and in workshops. We will rebuild supply chains. Syria will return as a hub for trade and commerce.”

Relations with Israel

Bass wrote there’s a deeper insight behind Sharaa’s economic vision: after a generation of loss, Syrians are tired of conflict. They crave peace, not just the absence of war, but the presence of opportunity.

In one of the more delicate parts of our conversation, Sharaa addressed Syria’s future relationship with Israel - a subject that has haunted the region since 1948 and intensified with each airstrike, covert operation, and accusation of proxy warfare.

“I want to be clear,” Sharaa said. “The era of endless tit-for-tat bombings must end. No nation prospers when its skies are filled with fear. The reality is, we have common enemies, and we can play a major role in regional security.”

He expressed a desire to return to the spirit of the 1974 Disengagement Agreement not merely as a ceasefire line, but as the foundation for mutual restraint and protection of civilians, especially the Druze communities in southern Syria and the Golan Heights.

“Syria’s Druze are not pawns,” he said. “They are citizens, deeply rooted, historically loyal, and deserving of every protection under the law. Their safety is non-negotiable.”

While he stopped short of proposing immediate normalization, Sharaa signaled openness to future talks grounded in international law and sovereignty.

Trump: Man of Peace

Perhaps most notably, Sharaa voiced a bold diplomatic overture: his desire to sit down directly with former US President Donald Trump, Bass wrote.

“However the media portrays him,” Sharaa said, “I see him as a man of peace. We’ve both been shot at by the same enemy. Trump understands leverage, strength, and outcomes. Syria needs an honest broker who can reset the conversation. If there is a possibility of alignment that helps bring stability to the region - and security to the US and its allies- I am ready to have that conversation. He is the only man capable of fixing this region, bringing us together, one brick at a time.”

Commenting on Sharaa’s statement, Bass said it was “striking”, not just for its candor, but for what it implied: the new Syria is not afraid to make unconventional moves in pursuit of peace and recognition.

Sharaa does not sugarcoat Syria’s challenges: more than a million dead in mass graves, 12 million displaced, an economy on life support, sanctions still in place, and rival militias entrenched in the north.

“This is not a fairy tale,” he said. “It is a recovery. And recoveries are painful.”

 



Israel Opens Criminal Probes Over Killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza Rescue Workers, Military Says

Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
TT

Israel Opens Criminal Probes Over Killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza Rescue Workers, Military Says

Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)

Israel's military will open internal investigations over its troops' killings in Gaza of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in January 2024 and 15 emergency and aid workers in March 2025, it said on Wednesday, although rights groups said such probes rarely lead to convictions.

The military said the investigation decisions followed probes by its Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism. It released decisions regarding five incidents involving the deaths of Palestinians. They included an examination ‌of the killings ‌of seven aid workers with the World ‌Central ⁠Kitchen charity in ⁠April 2024. On that incident, the military said there was "no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct that would justify the opening of a criminal investigation."

"For more than a thousand days, the Israeli army has been conducting intensive combat across numerous fronts, carrying out a wide range of military missions ⁠in an exceptionally complex operational reality," the Israeli ‌military said.

"As part of the military's ‌obligations under international law and Israeli domestic law, the army ‌examines exceptional incidents that occurred during combat," the military said.

Israeli ‌rights groups say that criminal misconduct investigations into Israeli troops over the killing of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions.

"Nearly zero indictments are served relative to the number of complaints of soldiers and ‌commanders who commit offenses. In rare cases when commanders or soldiers are convicted, they receive ridiculously ⁠lenient ⁠sentences compared with the severity of the offense," a spokesperson for the Israeli rights organization Yesh Din said.

During Israel's offensive in response to an October 7, 2023, Hamas attack, Hind Rajab was pinned down in a car for hours, begging Palestinian medics over a mobile phone to send help, while her aunt, uncle and three cousins already lay dead.

When an ambulance finally arrived, contact with the girl and the rescuers themselves was lost. Twelve days later, the bodies of the girl, her relatives and two ambulance workers were recovered from the area.


Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
TT

Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)

Syrian security forces have arrested a former Assad-era security officer who fled Austria after being sentenced to eight years in prison for abusing detainees and returned to his hometown in southern Syria, state news agency SANA said on Tuesday night.

Lieutenant Colonel Musab Abu Rukba was arrested in the city of Nawa in Daraa province by internal security forces in coordination ⁠with the counter-terrorism ⁠department, SANA said, citing the security forces.

Abu Rukba had been convicted by a Vienna court last month of bodily harm, aggravated coercion and sexual assault against detained opponents of former President Bashar al-Assad while he headed the police’s criminal investigations department in the northern city of Raqqa more than a ⁠decade ago.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Reuters reported on Friday that Abu Rukba had left Austria while challenging his eight-year sentence on appeal and arrived in Nawa in early August, where his family held a reception to celebrate his return.

SANA said on Tuesday that Abu Rukba had entered Syria illegally after fleeing Austria and that authorities had tracked him down in Nawa. He had been referred to the relevant authorities to complete legal procedures ahead of prosecution, it said.

It was ⁠not immediately ⁠clear what charges Abu Rukba could face in Syria or whether Austria had requested his arrest or extradition.

A spokesperson for the Austrian court that convicted him told Reuters at the time that Abu Rukba had not been considered a flight risk before his trial because he had lived in Austria since 2014 and was seeking asylum there with his family.

He was not held in custody during the trial or subjected to other restrictions, and his departure from Austria did not breach Austrian laws or court orders while the appeals process remained underway, the spokesperson said.


Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military said on Tuesday it had repatriated the remains of Sgt First Class Yehuda Katz, a soldier killed in Lebanon 44 years ago, in a joint operation with the Mossad intelligence agency.

Katz was the last Israeli soldier declared missing in the Sultan Yacoub battle against Syrian forces in eastern Lebanon in 1982.

"His return to Israel was made possible through efforts based on accurate intelligence... that lasted more than four decades," the military said in a statement.

It is not clear where his body was found.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commended the security forces and said that "for many years, I approved numerous clandestine operations to locate the missing soldiers of Sultan Yacoub. I promised their families that we would never stop working to bring them home."

In a separate statement, President Isaac Herzog said that "the circle that remained an open and bleeding wound from the Battle of Sultan Yacoub is finally closed," and that he had kept a photograph of Yehuda Katz hanging in his office as "a daily reminder of our sacred duty to bring our sons home and leave no one behind".

Katz's remains were brought to Israel and identified at an institute for the identification of fallen soldiers under the military rabbinate, the military said.

Three Israeli soldiers had been missing for decades after the Sultan Yacoub battle. In 2019, the military announced the repatriation of the remains of Sgt First Class Zachariah Baumel, while in May 2025 it said it had recovered the body of Sgt First Class Tzvika Feldman "in the heart of Syria".