Ship Attacked in Red Sea After Bulk Carrier Sinking Claimed by Yemen’s Houthis

 The Liberian-flagged bulk carrier Magic Seas is seen in Ambelakia Bay, Salamis Island, Greece, Aug. 9, 2022. (Nektarios Papadakis via AP)
The Liberian-flagged bulk carrier Magic Seas is seen in Ambelakia Bay, Salamis Island, Greece, Aug. 9, 2022. (Nektarios Papadakis via AP)
TT

Ship Attacked in Red Sea After Bulk Carrier Sinking Claimed by Yemen’s Houthis

 The Liberian-flagged bulk carrier Magic Seas is seen in Ambelakia Bay, Salamis Island, Greece, Aug. 9, 2022. (Nektarios Papadakis via AP)
The Liberian-flagged bulk carrier Magic Seas is seen in Ambelakia Bay, Salamis Island, Greece, Aug. 9, 2022. (Nektarios Papadakis via AP)

A Liberian-flagged cargo ship came under fire on Monday in the Red Sea, with two security guards on board reportedly hurt and two others missing in an assault that came after Yemen's Houthi militants purportedly sunk another vessel in a similar attack.

Earlier, the Houthis said they attacked Greek-owned bulk carrier Magic Seas, also Liberian-flagged, with drones, missiles, rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire on Sunday, forcing its crew of 22 to abandon the vessel.

The two attacks and a round of Israeli airstrikes early Monday targeting the militants raised fears of a renewed Houthi campaign against shipping that could again draw in US and Western forces to the area, particularly after US President Donald Trump's administration targeted the militants in a major airstrike campaign.

The attacks come at a sensitive moment in the Middle East, as a possible ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war hangs in the balance, and as Iran weighs whether to restart negotiations over its nuclear program following American airstrikes targeting its most sensitive atomic sites during an Israeli war against Tehran in June. Also, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was to meet with Trump on Monday at the White House.

The private security firm Ambrey reported the latest attack on Monday night in the Red Sea, offering the details on the two hurt and two missing security guards. It said the vessel had been heading north toward the Suez Canal when it came under fire by men in small boats and by bomb-carrying drones. The security guards on board had opened fire in the attack.

“The vessel’s engines had reportedly been disabled and Ambrey observed that the vessel had started to drift,” the firm said.

There were no other immediate details on the attack, which also was acknowledged by the British military's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, or UKMTO, center. The Houthis' al-Masirah satellite news channel noted the attack, but the militants didn't claim the assault.

However, Moammar al-Eryani, the information minister with Yemen's legitimate government that opposes the Houthis and is based in southern Yemen, said the militants had also carried out the second attack. The Houthis control the northern half of Yemen and its capital, Sanaa.

The US military's Central Command said it was aware of reports of the attack, but declined to comment further.

Sunday's attack on the Magic Seas, another bulk carrier heading north to Egypt’s Suez Canal, happened about 100 kilometers (60 miles) southwest of the port of Hodeidah, Yemen, which is held by the Houthis. That's the same area of the attack on Monday night.

The UKMTO first said that an armed security team on the vessel had returned fire against an initial attack of gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades, though the vessel later was struck by projectiles. The UKMTO said the ship was taking on water and its crew had abandoned the vessel. They were rescued by a passing ship, it added.

A European Union anti-piracy patrol in the region, called Operation Atalanta, said that 22 mariners had been on board the Magic Seas.

The United Arab Emirates later Monday said that one of its ships from Abu Dhabi Ports received the call to help on the Red Sea and rescued the 22 people aboard the Magic Seas.

Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree, the Houthis' military spokesman, claimed Sunday's attack and said the militants used missiles and bomb-carrying drone boats to attack the ship.

“Our operations continue in targeting the depths of the Israeli entity in occupied Palestine, as well as preventing Israeli maritime navigation in the Red and Arabian Seas ... until the aggression on Gaza stops and the siege on it is lifted,” Saree said.

The Magic Seas’ owners didn’t respond to a request for comment. Saree later said the vessel had sank Monday in the Red Sea.

Israeli strikes target Houthi-held ports

The Israeli military said that it struck Houthi-held ports early Monday at Hodeidah, Ras Isa and Salif, as well as the Ras Kanatib power plant. It released footage showing an F-16 launching from Israel for the strike, which came after the Israeli military issued a warning for the area.

“These ports are used by the Houthi terrorist regime to transfer weapons from the Iranian regime, which are employed to carry out terrorist operations against the state of Israel and its allies,” the Israeli military said.

The Israeli military also said it struck the Galaxy Leader, a vehicle-carrying vessel that the Houthis seized back in November 2023 when they began their attacks in the Red Sea corridor over the Israel-Hamas war.

“Houthi forces installed a radar system on the ship and have been using it to track vessels in the international maritime arena to facilitate further terrorist activities,” the Israeli military said.

The Bahamas-flagged Galaxy Leader was affiliated with an Israeli billionaire. The ship had been operated by a Japanese firm, NYK Line.

The Houthis acknowledged the strikes, but offered no damage assessment from the attack.

Israel has repeatedly attacked Houthi areas in Yemen, including a naval strike in June. Both Israel and the United States have struck ports in the area in the past, including an American attack that killed 74 people in April, but Israel is now acting alone in attacking the militants as they continue to fire missiles at Israel.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz threatened to launch further strikes.

“What’s true for Iran is true for Yemen,” Katz said in a statement. “Anyone who raises a hand against Israel will have it cut off. The Houthis will continue to pay a heavy price for their actions.”

The Houthis then responded with an apparent missile attack on Israel. The Israeli military said that it attempted to intercept the two missiles launched by the Houthis, but they appeared to make impact, though no injuries have been reported.

Saree on Monday claimed to launch missiles and drones targeting Israel in its attack.

The Houthis have been launching missile and drone attacks against commercial and military ships in the region in what the group’s leadership has described as an effort to end Israel’s offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Between November 2023 and January 2025, the Houthis targeted more than 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two of them and killing four sailors. Their campaign has greatly reduced the flow of trade through the Red Sea corridor, which typically sees $1 trillion of goods move through it annually. Shipping through the Red Sea, while still lower than normal, has increased in recent weeks.

The Houthis paused attacks until the US launched a broad assault against the militants in mid-March. That ended weeks later and the Houthis haven’t attacked a vessel, though they have continued occasional missile attacks targeting Israel.



Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
TT

Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)

Military escalation in Yemen is entering a new phase after the National Defense Council ordered an expansion of air and missile deterrence operations against the Houthis, a move military experts say lays the groundwork for shifting from repelling attacks to striking their sources.

Experts told Asharq Al-Awsat that the deployment of government drones marks a significant change in the balance of power. They believe government forces may possess more advanced drones that have yet to be deployed, while cautioning that the confrontation remains tied to regional tensions and calculations in Iran and the United States.

From defense to preemptive strikes

Brig. Gen. Yasser Saleh, a Yemeni military and strategic expert, said the National Defense Council’s directive aims to neutralize Houthi missile and drone capabilities amid the group’s continued escalation on battlefronts and attacks on vital facilities and infrastructure.

Government operations initially focused on repelling attacks because forces lacked sufficient air defense systems to intercept missiles and drones, Saleh explained.

Raising the level of deterrence would mean conducting preemptive strikes against launch sites and other sources of fire, reducing the Houthis’ ability to mount further attacks, he added.

Saleh described the deployment of government drones as a major development because ground forces require close air support. Drones can conduct reconnaissance, identify targets and strike enemy movements, potentially becoming a key asset if developments lead to a decisive battle.

Government forces are currently using small loitering drones and others capable of dropping munitions, while they are believed to possess more advanced aircraft capable of carrying guided missiles, flying longer distances and striking targets deep inside Houthi-held territory, he said.

Unifying government forces would also allow simultaneous operations on multiple fronts, preventing the Houthis from choosing the time and place of battle or concentrating their forces on a single axis, Saleh went on to say.

Possible offensive

Brig. Gen. Mohammed Al-Kumaim, a Yemeni military expert, said expanded deterrence operations could pave the way for the use of strategic-range drones alongside advanced rocket launchers with ranges of 40 to 60 kilometers.

Potential targets could include command, control and communications centers, supply and reinforcement routes, and missile and drone launch sites.

Al-Kumaim described heavy fire against forward Houthi positions as “preparatory fire” that typically precedes offensive operations, particularly as the group continues to mass forces across several fronts.

He called the deployment of drones a “qualitative shift,” although those seen so far have limited range and capabilities.

Government forces are believed to possess other systems that have yet to enter combat, including the Naqam, Ayban and Shaheen, as well as specialized units trained to operate them.

Al-Kumaim said government forces are better organized than they were in 2022, with a unified operations room and stronger coordination among military fronts and formations.

Rebuilding deterrence

Political and military expert Abdul Wahab Buhaibeh said the council’s directives shift government forces from reacting to Houthi attacks toward seizing the initiative.

He expects longer-range drones to be deployed for reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, artillery and missile fire correction, as well as direct strikes.

The directives also include heightened readiness, stronger early-warning capabilities, intensified intelligence operations and tighter security and maritime measures to track weapons-smuggling routes to the Houthis, alongside preparations for possible ground operations.

Buhaibeh described the approach as a multidimensional strategy combining air and missile operations with security, intelligence and maritime efforts to rebuild deterrence after years in which the Houthis benefited from their relative superiority in missiles and drones and divisions among their opponents.

Yemen and the regional conflict

The experts agreed that Yemen’s escalation cannot be separated from the broader regional conflict.

Saleh said Tehran could push its allies to widen the confrontation if fighting with Washington resumes, while Buhaibeh warned that continued Houthi control of Hodeidah and the Red Sea coast gives Iran leverage over international shipping.

Speaking to AFP, Yemen’s information minister had warned of a Houthi plan to seize coastal areas near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait.

Three Houthi military sources and a spokesman for government forces stationed near the strait also told the agency that the group was planning to advance toward those areas.

Saleh said mounting domestic pressure on the Houthis, combined with regional tensions, could lead to a broader confrontation and potentially pave the way for what he called a “battle of liberation.”

Al-Kumaim, meanwhile, stressed the need for a decisive move before Yemen’s crisis again becomes part of potential US-Iran arrangements, saying the situation is heading toward further escalation but remains dependent on regional and international developments.


US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
TT

US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo

The United States announced new sanctions Thursday against a Hezbollah financing network, while highlighting the Lebanese armed group's close ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

Hezbollah's legal designation as a terrorist organization has been amended to note that it operates in "service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps," particularly the elite Quds Force, the Treasury Department said in a statement.

The new redesignation "specifies that Hezbollah is an Iranian proxy, not a stand-alone operation as implied by the previous designation," a State Department official said.

"This underscores that Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state."

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the broader Middle East war in March with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.

Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.

"This action builds on years of US designations that have repeatedly documented the operational, financial, and logistical integration between Hezbollah and the IRGC-QF," the State Department official said, calling Hezbollah "an extension" of the latter.

"It is not a Lebanese resistance movement," as Hezbollah describes itself, the official said.

The new sanctions target 10 people who are allegedly part of a network that transfers cash to Hezbollah, which has already been punished with US sanctions many times, the Treasury statement said.

The network utilizes couriers travelling on commercial airline flights “to move up to hundreds of millions of dollars between jurisdictions, providing an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions," the statement said.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said earlier on Thursday that he would hold a press conference on Monday about "the toughest sanctions in history" that Washington plans to impose on Iran.

He said that a plan to sharply increase pain from economic sanctions on Iran aims to "collapse" the country's government.

"It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime," he told CNBC. "This is going to be the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world."


Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
TT

Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)

Secretary-General of the Arab League Nabil Fahmy denounced Israel’s violations against Palestinian, Syrian, and Lebanese territories saying they cannot be viewed as isolated incidents or justified by fabricated security claims.

He said these actions reflect a persistent approach marked by the use of force, the imposition of a fait accompli, and violations of states' sovereignty and territorial integrity, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

In a statement, Fahmy asserted that Israel continues to act as a state that disregards international law. He called on the UN Security Council and the international community to take responsibility and implement practical measures to stop these violations and end the policy of impunity.

Fahmy underscored that Israel's actions not only threaten countries in the region but also undermine the credibility of the international legal order. He said they reinforce the notion that force can serve as an alternative to international legitimacy.