US Senate Report Faults Secret Service Discipline after Trump Shooting

FILE - Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by US Secret Service agents at a campaign rally, July 13, 2024, in Butler, Pa. President-elect Donald Trump will choose Sean Curran, right, as Secret Service Director.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
FILE - Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by US Secret Service agents at a campaign rally, July 13, 2024, in Butler, Pa. President-elect Donald Trump will choose Sean Curran, right, as Secret Service Director. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
TT

US Senate Report Faults Secret Service Discipline after Trump Shooting

FILE - Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by US Secret Service agents at a campaign rally, July 13, 2024, in Butler, Pa. President-elect Donald Trump will choose Sean Curran, right, as Secret Service Director.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
FILE - Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump is surrounded by US Secret Service agents at a campaign rally, July 13, 2024, in Butler, Pa. President-elect Donald Trump will choose Sean Curran, right, as Secret Service Director. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

A US Senate report released on Sunday said a "cascade" of failures allowed a gunman to shoot at Donald Trump during a campaign rally last year and faulted Secret Service discipline including the lack of firings in the wake of the attack.

The report, released a year after a 20-year-old gunman opened fire on Trump in Butler, Pennsylvania, grazing his ear, accused the Secret Service of a pattern of negligence and communications breakdowns in planning and execution of the rally, said Reuters.

"This was not a single error. It was a cascade of preventable failures that nearly cost President Trump his life," the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee report said. The Secret Service is charged with protecting current and former presidents and their families, as well visiting foreign leaders and some other senior officials.

One attendee of the July 13, 2024, rally was killed and two others were injured in the shooting. The gunman, Thomas Matthew Crooks, was subsequently shot to death by Secret Service agents.

"This was not a single lapse in judgment. It was a complete breakdown of security at every level — fueled by bureaucratic indifference, a lack of clear protocols, and a shocking refusal to act on direct threats," the committee's Republican chairman, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, said in a statement.

Kimberly Cheatle resigned as the director of the Secret Service 10 days after the shooting, amid harsh scrutiny of the agency's role, and six Secret Service agents on duty during the attempt received suspensions ranging from 10 to 42 days, the agency said on Thursday.

The committee said more than six officials should have been punished, and that two of those who were disciplined received lighter punishments than it had recommended. It highlighted the fact that no one was fired.

Current Secret Service Director Sean Curran said in a statement that the agency has received the report and will continue to cooperate with the committee.

"Following the events of July 13, the Secret Service took a serious look at our operations and implemented substantive reforms to address the failures that occurred that day," Curran said.



Iran Hangs Man for Spying during War with US, Israel, Says Judiciary

A security personnel stands guard as Iranians take part in a protest marking the annual al-Quds Day (Jerusalem Day) on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan, amid the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Tehran, Iran, March 13, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
A security personnel stands guard as Iranians take part in a protest marking the annual al-Quds Day (Jerusalem Day) on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan, amid the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Tehran, Iran, March 13, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran Hangs Man for Spying during War with US, Israel, Says Judiciary

A security personnel stands guard as Iranians take part in a protest marking the annual al-Quds Day (Jerusalem Day) on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan, amid the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Tehran, Iran, March 13, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
A security personnel stands guard as Iranians take part in a protest marking the annual al-Quds Day (Jerusalem Day) on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan, amid the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Tehran, Iran, March 13, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Iran on Sunday hanged a man convicted of espionage, the judiciary said, the first known execution for a spying offence committed during the war with Israel and the United States.

"Mojtaba Kian... who sent information related to the country's defense industry units to the enemy, was hanged early this morning," the judiciary's Mizan Online website reported.

It said he shared information related to Iran's defense capabilities during the nearly 40-day war, reported AFP.

The execution is the first directly linked to spying offences carried out during the war, which broke out on February 28 when US-Israeli strikes killed senior Iranian leaders, triggering retaliatory attacks by Tehran across the region.

Since the start of the conflict, Iran has stepped up executions for spying or collaborating with Israel and the US, although prior to Sunday all those hanged were sentenced for offences carried out before the war.

According to Mizan, Kian "sent multiple messages to hostile networks affiliated with the Zionist-American enemy, including coordinates and information on facilities producing parts related to the country's defense industries".

Mizan said he sent information to satellite television networks. It did not identify those networks, but Iranian authorities have frequently accused Persian-language media outlets based abroad of cooperating with Israel.

The Mizan report said one "targeted location" in Iran was struck during the war after Kian passed on information about its whereabouts.

"The sentence was carried out early this morning after completion of legal formalities," Mizan said.

The website said Kian's execution took place "less than 50 days" after his arrest, while his assets were also confiscated.

On Thursday, the country executed two men convicted of armed rebellion and membership in what authorities described as "separatist terrorist groups", a phrase often used to refer to Iranian Kurdish groups based in neighboring Iraq's Kurdistan region.


Venezuela’s Machado Vows Another Run for Presidency and Eyes Return from Exile Before End of 2026

Venezuelan opposition leader and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado delivers a speech on Cuba Avenue in Panama City, Panama, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Venezuelan opposition leader and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado delivers a speech on Cuba Avenue in Panama City, Panama, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Venezuela’s Machado Vows Another Run for Presidency and Eyes Return from Exile Before End of 2026

Venezuelan opposition leader and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado delivers a speech on Cuba Avenue in Panama City, Panama, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Venezuelan opposition leader and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado delivers a speech on Cuba Avenue in Panama City, Panama, 23 May 2026. (EPA)

Venezuela's Nobel Peace Prize laureate María Corina Machado announced Saturday that she plans to run for president again and intends to return to her home country before the end of 2026.

Machado's remarks, made while meeting in Panama with several fellow Venezuelan opposition leaders, come more than four months after the stunning White House decision to sideline her and instead work with a Venezuelan ruling party loyalist following the US military’s capture of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Machado has been in exile since December, when she emerged from 11 months in hiding somewhere in Venezuela and traveled to Norway where she was honored with the Nobel Prize.

She told reporters in Panama City that she and the other gathered opposition leaders remain committed to a democratic transition “through free and fair presidential elections, where all Venezuelans inside and outside the country vote.”

Still, it is unclear when Venezuela will hold a presidential election.

US President Donald Trump and senior administration officials have praised Maduro’s successor, acting President Delcy Rodríguez, who has thrown open Venezuela’s oil industry to US investment at a time of surging oil prices tied to the war in Iran.

The Trump administration has also dampened talk of elections, which are required by Venezuela’s constitution within 30 days of the president becoming “permanently unavailable.”

An election with democratic conditions would take between seven and nine months of planning, Machado said. Necessary changes include the appointment of neutral electoral authorities, voting registration updates and the ability of opposition candidates to run for office without government interference.

Machado rose to become Maduro’s strongest opponent in recent years, but his government barred her from running for office in the 2024 presidential election, leading her to choose retired ambassador Edmundo González Urrutia to represent her on the ballot.

Officials loyal to the ruling party declared Maduro the winner mere hours after the polls closed, but Machado’s well-organized campaign collected evidence showing González had defeated Maduro by a margin of more than 2-to-1.

On Saturday, Machado told reporters she would run against any other presidential hopeful in “an impeccable election.”

“I will be a candidate, but there may be others, of course,” she said. “I would love to compete with everyone, with anyone who wants to be a candidate.”


Would-Be Challenger to UK PM Faces Uphill Battle in Key Vote

Greater Manchester Mayor and Labour candidate Andy Burnham speaks during his campaign launch, ahead of the Makerfield by-election triggered by the resignation of Labour MP Josh Simons, in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Britain, May 22, 2026. (Reuters)
Greater Manchester Mayor and Labour candidate Andy Burnham speaks during his campaign launch, ahead of the Makerfield by-election triggered by the resignation of Labour MP Josh Simons, in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Britain, May 22, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Would-Be Challenger to UK PM Faces Uphill Battle in Key Vote

Greater Manchester Mayor and Labour candidate Andy Burnham speaks during his campaign launch, ahead of the Makerfield by-election triggered by the resignation of Labour MP Josh Simons, in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Britain, May 22, 2026. (Reuters)
Greater Manchester Mayor and Labour candidate Andy Burnham speaks during his campaign launch, ahead of the Makerfield by-election triggered by the resignation of Labour MP Josh Simons, in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Britain, May 22, 2026. (Reuters)

Makerfield, a little-known political district in northwest England, has been thrust into the spotlight in the UK ahead of a by-election dubbed one of the most consequential in British history.

The June 18 vote could prompt embattled Prime Minister Keir Starmer's downfall, as the main potential rival to replace him bids to win a parliamentary seat and pave the way for a leadership challenge.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham, a veteran figure on Labour's left, has stopped short of formally announcing his intention to oust Starmer.

But the 56-year-old is widely expected to trigger a contest to become Labour leader -- which would mean also becoming prime minister -- if he is made an MP.

"A vote for me in this by-election campaign is a vote to change Labour," he said Friday, officially launching his campaign in the constituency, which lies between Manchester and Liverpool.

Addressing placard-wielding supporters in a dusty sports club's car park, he argued the party must return to being "solidly on the side of working-class people".

In a nearby residential street of red-brick terraced houses, the scale of the challenge was apparent.

"I've lost all faith in Labour at the minute, so whether it's Keir Starmer or Andy Burnham, I think they're done," self-employed joiner Mick Dean, 44, told AFP.

"My dad was a Labour voter. His dad would actually turn over in his grave if he found out we've moved on, but they're just not for the working class anymore."

- 'Definitely not! ' -

Dean will vote for Brexit champion Nigel Farage's anti-immigration Reform UK party, which triumphed in local elections across England this month.

The disastrous results for Labour -- which came a distant second and sustained heavy losses in Wales and Scotland -- sparked a simmering Labour rebellion against Starmer.

The by-election was triggered when Makerfield's MP resigned after the polls, saying he wanted to give Burnham the chance to win the seat and challenge Starmer.

But Burnham's attempted Westminster return -- he was a Labour MP between 2001 and 2017, served in governments and twice stood to be leader -- is fraught.

Once a safe Labour seat held since 1983, Makerfield overwhelmingly backed Reform in the May 7 local council vote.

A repeat in next month's by-election would leave Burnham's Downing Street ambitions in tatters and Starmer's political future uncertain.

Supporters such as Labour member Tom Hothersall, 22, insisted "there's a lot of love" for Burnham after nine widely praised years as Manchester mayor.

"He's got a vision for where he wants to take the country and he wants to take Makerfield with him," he said.

When AFP joined a seven-strong canvassing team on Friday, voters' opinions were divided.

"I know him and I'm obviously going to back him!" said one man.

His neighbor was less enthused. "Definitely not! I don't want him in. I don't want Labour in," she told the canvasser.

- 'Using us' -

Burnham is banking on his regional popularity to prevail.

Born in Liverpool, he previously represented a neighboring parliamentary seat and is eager to talk up his local roots.

Home to nearly 80,000 people, Makerfield sits in Labour's traditional "red wall" former industrial heartlands increasingly deserting the party.

Less ethnically diverse than some surrounding constituencies, its heritage in mining -- rather than textiles, which helped Manchester boom during the industrial revolution -- also sets it apart from the city.

Burnham allies argue if he can beat Reform here, he will have made his case to replace the universally unpopular Starmer.

In the main town of Ashton-in-Makerfield, Reform placards and English St George's flags compete with the occasional Labour sign.

"He's using us," said retiree Michael Rowlands, who plans to vote Reform.

"Once he's got what he wants to get, to Number 10 (Downing Street)... we'll be forgotten."

Neighbor Marilyn Hurst, 70, was also minded to back Farage's party.

"He should stay as the mayor of Manchester because I don't think he's got that personality to be a prime minister," she said of Burnham.

Reform's candidate, local plumber Robert Kenyon, also unsuccessfully stood to be MP in 2024 elections that swept Labour to power.

He has become embroiled in controversy after allegations his X account contained offensive posts, as well as claims that he interacted online with a well-known far-right influencer.

Reform, which did not respond to requests to interview Kenyon or attend a campaign event, has reportedly said it does not plan to probe the claims.