Palestinian Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: New York Agreements Mark a New Phase in Saudi Support

A photo of the signing of MoUs between Saudi Arabia and Palestine, attended by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and other officials. (SPA)
A photo of the signing of MoUs between Saudi Arabia and Palestine, attended by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and other officials. (SPA)
TT

Palestinian Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: New York Agreements Mark a New Phase in Saudi Support

A photo of the signing of MoUs between Saudi Arabia and Palestine, attended by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and other officials. (SPA)
A photo of the signing of MoUs between Saudi Arabia and Palestine, attended by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and other officials. (SPA)

Palestinian Minister of Planning and International Cooperation Dr. Estephan Salameh described the recent memorandums of understanding signed between Saudi Arabia and Palestine as a significant shift in the Kingdom’s longstanding support for the Palestinian cause.

The agreements, he said, represent a new phase of Saudi political and developmental backing, carrying both practical benefits and symbolic weight on the international stage.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Salameh emphasized that the memorandums, signed on July 30 in New York during the International Conference on the Peaceful Resolution of the Palestinian Issue and Implementation of the Two-State Solution, were part of an “unprecedented political support” effort by Saudi Arabia.

The MoUs, announced in the presence of Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and Palestinian Prime Minister Dr. Mohammad Mustafa, “send a clear message that Saudi Arabia has stood, continues to stand, and will always stand by the Palestinian people in their political, economic, social, and developmental struggles,” he underlined.

On the developmental side, Salameh explained that the three agreements focus on strengthening human capacity, particularly for public sector employees, and advancing several aspects of the education sector, including curriculum development and support for Palestinian educators and professionals.

He noted that the MoU concerning digital technology and the digital economy is especially important for enabling digital transformation and enhancing the delivery of public services to Palestinian citizens.

The minister reiterated that Saudi Arabia has long backed the Palestinian people, whether through budgetary assistance, resilience support, or development projects. What is new, he said, is that these agreements “represent the beginning of a new phase and a new set of Saudi support mechanisms for Palestine - and they will not be the last.”

Salameh revealed ongoing consultations with Saudi officials regarding further initiatives and projects, including new memorandums of understanding in the fields of energy, water, health, social development, and others.

He also announced that he is planning a visit to Saudi Arabia in mid-September, during which he will meet with Saudi Investment Minister Khalid Al-Falih to explore further avenues of cooperation, particularly in the area of private sector investments across various economic sectors.

Regarding the international conference on the two-state solution held at the United Nations in New York last month, Salameh said the outcomes were the result of Saudi efforts, backed by unprecedented international support.

He underscored the participation of major countries such as France and the United Kingdom, as well as around 135 other nations, all of whom attended the ministerial-level conference at the UN headquarters.

The event carried a strong political message, culminating in what became known as the “New York Declaration,” he remarked.

Salameh described the final document of the “High-Level International Conference on the Peaceful Settlement of the Palestinian Issue and the Implementation of the Two-State Solution” — adopted by Prince Faisal bin Farhan — as highly significant both in its content and its political implications.

He said it played a crucial role in rallying unprecedented international support, including from countries that had long been aligned with Israel. Many of these nations, he noted, have now begun to shift their positions and formally recognize the State of Palestine.

“There has been a real transformation. Some of these states are now openly recognizing the State of Palestine, something that would not have happened without Saudi pressure and engagement,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The minister also stated that the agreements signed with Saudi Arabia have opened the door for other countries to follow suit. He revealed that there are active plans to sign similar memorandums and developmental agreements with several countries, including Norway, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Ireland, in addition to ongoing discussions with other states.

Prince Faisal met with Palestinian Prime Minister Dr. Mohammad Mustafa the sidelines of the conference. They reviewed bilateral relations, discussed the latest developments in Palestine, and explored ways to strengthen joint cooperation and coordinate positions on the international stage in support of Palestinian rights.



Saudi Leadership Donates SAR70 Million to the National Campaign for Charitable Work

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Donates SAR70 Million to the National Campaign for Charitable Work

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, donated SAR70 million to the sixth edition of the National Campaign for Charitable Work, through the National Platform for Charitable Work (Ehsan), which was launched in Riyadh on Friday.

King Salman donated SAR40 million, while the Crown Prince donated SAR30 million. The donations are an extension of the generous and unlimited support provided by the wise leadership for charitable work in the Kingdom.

Ehsan Supervisory Committee Chairman Dr. Majid Al-Kassabi expressed his gratitude to King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed for their generous donations.

The Ehsan platform continues to receive donations throughout the holy month of Ramadan from individuals and organizations through its website, mobile application, dedicated telephone number, and designated bank account.


Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.