Indonesia Police Fire Tear Gas Near Campuses as Protest Tensions Rise 

A demonstrator shouts slogans during a protest demanding police reform and the dissolution of the parliament, in Bandung, West Java on September 1, 2025. (AFP)
A demonstrator shouts slogans during a protest demanding police reform and the dissolution of the parliament, in Bandung, West Java on September 1, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Indonesia Police Fire Tear Gas Near Campuses as Protest Tensions Rise 

A demonstrator shouts slogans during a protest demanding police reform and the dissolution of the parliament, in Bandung, West Java on September 1, 2025. (AFP)
A demonstrator shouts slogans during a protest demanding police reform and the dissolution of the parliament, in Bandung, West Java on September 1, 2025. (AFP)

Indonesian police fired tear gas into crowds of protesters near two universities in the major regional city of Bandung, student groups and authorities said on Tuesday, raising tensions around demonstrations that have killed eight since last week.

The protests began in the capital Jakarta, targeting government spending such as enhanced perks for lawmakers, and have since spread nationwide. They escalated into rioting and looting after a police vehicle hit and killed a motorcycle taxi driver, causing millions of dollars of damage in the capital.

Authorities fired tear gas into crowds near the campuses of the Islamic University of Bandung, or UNISBA, and nearby Pasundan University, more than 140 km (87 miles) from Jakarta, student groups at the two institutions said on Instagram.

Pasundan student Yoga Tadiyalaga Ruchiyat said students were angry over the incident.

"The educational ground is neutral, a safe zone," he said.

University students have long been regarded as vanguards of Indonesia's democracy, having taken a leading role in protests that helped topple authoritarian leader President Suharto in 1998.

Police official Hendra Rochmawan said authorities did not enter the campuses but tried to break up crowds of non-student protesters seeking protection within the grounds, as crowds blocked roads in the area.

UNISBA Rector Harits Nu'man echoed the police statement, saying the campus served as a medical hub for protesters.

The UNISBA student body accused security forces of seeking to silence dissent, saying they "brutally attacked" the campus with tear gas.

President Prabowo Subianto, a military leader under Suharto, met labor unions, some of whom joined last week's protest for a hike in the minimum wage, and said he told lawmakers to discuss labor laws, according to a statement from his office.

The head of the Indonesia Trade Union Confederation, Said Iqbal, told a press conference he had informed Prabowo of workers' demands, such as an end to cheap labor, job outsourcing and income-tax cuts.

Prabowo has warned the police and military would stand firm against violent escalations. Jakarta police say they have detained over 1,200 people since the protests broke out, with city officials reporting $3.4 million in damage.

At least eight people have died in the protests, senior minister Airlangga Hartarto said on Monday.

Analysts say the protests test Prabowo's young presidency, which nears its first anniversary in October.

Growing inequality among Indonesians contributed to the rising protests, said Achmad Sukarsono, associate director at consultancy Control Risks, citing a recent allowance for lawmakers that stoked public resentment.

"The growing gap between the rich and poor in Indonesia provides an easily combustible dry-hay situation. Policies that fail to consider social sensitivities like the perks for parliamentarians then turn into matchsticks," he said.

International rights groups have criticized the security response.

"The Indonesian authorities acted irresponsibly by treating the protests as acts of treason or terrorism," said Meenakshi Ganguly, the deputy Asia director of Human Rights Watch.

The United Nations' rights office called for accusations of rights violations by security forces to be investigated.

Jakarta police said they had arrested the director of non-profit legal aid group Lokataru Foundation, Delpedro Marhaen, over accusations of inciting a riot among underage children.

The group did not immediately respond to a request for comment but it has said the arrest was unlawful.

Indonesians added pink and green hues to their pictures in profiles on social media in response to the protests, with some using the hashtag #ResetIndonesia and listing 25 demands for the government, including the end of police brutality and ensuring decent wages for the public.



Israel PM Says Trump Agreed Any Final Iran Deal Must End ‘Nuclear Threat Entirely’

US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel PM Says Trump Agreed Any Final Iran Deal Must End ‘Nuclear Threat Entirely’

US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he and US President Donald Trump had agreed that any final deal with Iran must fully end the Islamic republic's "nuclear threat".

Netanyahu was referring to a conversation between the two leaders on Saturday night, which Trump had earlier said "went very well".

"President Trump and I agreed that any final agreement with Iran must eliminate the nuclear threat entirely. This means dismantling Iran's uranium enrichment facilities and removing enriched nuclear material from its territory," Netanyahu said in a statement.

"My policy, like that of President Trump, remains unchanged: Iran will not obtain nuclear weapons," he added.

Netanyahu said the two also discussed the memorandum of understanding on the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

"The partnership between our two nations has been proven on the battlefield, and it has never been stronger," the Israeli leader said, adding that Trump had reaffirmed his support for Israel's right to defend itself against threats on all fronts, "including in Lebanon".


Protesters in Spain Condemn Police Handling of Gaza Flotilla Activists

People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Protesters in Spain Condemn Police Handling of Gaza Flotilla Activists

People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)

Around two thousand protesters ‌took to the streets of the Spanish city of Bilbao on Sunday to condemn the Basque police's treatment of activists from a Gaza aid flotilla on their return from detention in Israel.

When a relative of one of the six returning activists tried to approach them at Bilbao airport on Saturday, a police officer forcefully prevented him from doing so, leading to scuffles between both sides, images from state broadcaster TVE showed.

Images showed police striking people ‌with batons and ‌pinning others to the ground while being ‌jeered ⁠by onlookers. Before this, ⁠activists appeared to have blocked the exit for other passengers and police tried to move them.

The Basque regional police force said in a statement on Sunday it had launched an investigation to determine if officers complied with procedures. Reuters has reached out to the Spanish government for ⁠comment.

On Sunday's march, pro-Palestinian demonstrators carried banners ‌criticizing the Basque police force ‌and accusing the local government of being complicit with Zionism.

The ‌activists were released from Israeli custody after being detained ‌on a flotilla trying to bring aid to Gaza. Organizers alleged on Friday that the activists were subjected to abuse while in Israeli detention, with several hospitalized with injuries and at least ‌15 reporting sexual assaults, including rape.

Israel's prison service denied the allegations, and Reuters was not ⁠able to ⁠verify the activists' claims independently.

Spain was among a series of Western governments on Thursday which expressed their anger after Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video of himself mocking the activists as they were pinned to the ground in a prison.

Francesca Albanese, a UN expert on the Palestinian territories, has called for those responsible for events at Bilbao airport to be held responsible, while Amnesty International has demanded a thorough investigation.

The Israeli Embassy in Spain has demanded an "explanation" from the Spanish government over the events at Bilbao airport.


Report: Macron Warns Belarus Against Involvement in Ukraine War

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Report: Macron Warns Belarus Against Involvement in Ukraine War

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)

French President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday warned Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko, a key Russian ally, against an involvement in Moscow's war against Ukraine, a source close to Macron said.

The warning was made during the first reported phone call between the two leaders since the early days of Russia's invasion in February 2022, partly launched from Belarusian territory.

Macron "stressed the risks for Belarus of allowing itself to be drawn into Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine," the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

"He also urged Alexander Lukashenko to take the necessary steps to improve relations between Belarus and Europe," the source added.

A brief readout on the Belarusian presidency's website said that "the heads of state discussed regional issues and Belarus' relations with the EU and with France in particular."

The conversation took place "at the initiative of the French side", the readout added.

Earlier in May, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ordered troops to reinforce the border with Belarus in the north, claiming Moscow was preparing a new offensive from there. The Kremlin denied that.

Russia and its smaller ally Belarus held nuclear drills days ago, on May 18, as Kyiv escalated its drone attacks on Russia.

Belarus, which borders NATO's eastern flank, hosts Russia's latest nuclear-capable missile, the Oreshnik.

On Sunday, Russia used the ballistic hypersonic missile for the third time in the war against Ukraine, as part of a massive drone and missile barrage that caused widespread destruction across Kyiv.