Top Trump Africa Aide: Sudan’s Warring Parties Near Talks

US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
TT

Top Trump Africa Aide: Sudan’s Warring Parties Near Talks

US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 
US President Donald Trump and his senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos (Reuters) 

Warring parties in Sudan are nearing direct talks to end one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, according to Massad Boulos, President Donald Trump’s senior advisor for Africa.

The US is holding discussions with the Sudanese military and their Rapid Support Forces opponents to agree on general principles for the negotiations, Boulos told reporters in New York at the annual United Nations General Assembly meetings.

“The status quo is such that nobody has the upper hand so they’re both ready to talk,” Boulos said. “Hopefully we should be able to announce something very soon,” he said according to Bloomberg agency.

Trump’s advisor also noted that hundreds of thousands of people are trapped in the besieged city of El Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur state, where fighting between the army and the RSF has intensified in recent months.

The RSF has agreed to allow aid trucks into the city, and some deliveries have already started flowing, Boulos said. “It’s taking shape as we speak.”

He then expressed cautious hope that the warring parties in Sudan would soon sit at the negotiating table, although years of diplomatic efforts have so far failed to halt a war that has shattered the country and triggered the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

The US has been working with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to end the conflict, which broke out in 2023. The four nations released a proposal earlier this month for an immediate three-month ceasefire to be followed by a permanent one.

“Sudan, very sadly, is today the world's biggest humanitarian catastrophe. Nothing is comparable to ... what has happened in the last two and a half years. And yet nobody talks about that,” said Boulos.

He spoke following a meeting of the so-called “Quad” countries – the US, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the UAE, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.

At least 150,000 people may have been killed since then, according to US estimates, in what’s been called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis and a threat to regional stability.

About half of Sudan’s 45 million citizens are facing extreme hunger and more than half a million children have died from malnutrition, according to the UN.

Also, a statement issued at the ministerial meeting on 'Joint Efforts for De-escalation in Sudan,' urged Sudan's warring parties to resume direct talks for a permanent ceasefire and pledged further action to support peace efforts.

The meeting convened Wednesday on the sidelines of the 80th session of the UN General Assembly in New York. It saw the participation of representatives from the UN, the Arab League, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK, in addition to representatives from several countries, including Saudi Arabia, Canada, Türkiye, Egypt, Djibouti, Chad, Denmark, Qatar, the US, Kenya, Libya Norway, Switzerland, the UAE and Ethiopia.

In the statement, foreign interference in Sudan’s conflict was strongly condemned, with a call on all state and non-state actors to halt military and financial support in line with UN Security Council resolutions.

The ministers reaffirmed commitment to Sudan's sovereignty and unity, rejected parallel governing bodies, and called for an inclusive transition led by the Sudanese people.

They demanded respect for human rights and humanitarian law, urged compliance with the Jeddah Declaration, and supported accountability efforts by the UN Fact-Finding Mission and the International Criminal Court.

 

 



Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)

Moroccan and French foreign ministers said on Wednesday the two countries are preparing to sign a treaty to strengthen ties during an upcoming state visit by King Mohammed VI to France.

The treaty will be the first Morocco signs with a European country, Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser ‌Bourita told reporters after ‌talks with his French counterpart, ‌Jean-Noel ⁠Barrot.

The two ministers ⁠did not specify when the King's visit will take place. Relations between the two countries have improved since Paris recognized Rabat's sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara territory in 2024.

"Moroccan-French partnership is living its best era at all levels," Bourita said, citing defense industry, ⁠security, aeronautic cooperation.

Barrot also said that "this will be ‌the first treaty of ‌its kind with a non-European country," adding that the goal ‌is to lay the basis for long-term relations ‌between the two countries.

Neither party specified what the treaty implies and its details.

France backs the resumption of direct talks between parties involved in the Western Sahara conflict on the ‌basis of autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty and in line with the most recent UN Security ⁠Council ⁠resolution 2797, Barrot said.

This position led to worsening ties with Algeria which hosts and backs the Polisario Front, an armed group seeking Western Sahara's independence.

Morocco is France's top economic partner in Africa, and a logistical and financial hub between France and part of the continent, Barrot said, adding that it was "natural" for the two countries to work together in Africa.


Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.