Civilians in Sudan's al-Fasher Cower from Drones as Siege Worsens Hunger

Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
TT

Civilians in Sudan's al-Fasher Cower from Drones as Siege Worsens Hunger

Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah
Remnants of a shell that targeted the refugee center, in El Fasher, Sudan, October 7, 2025. REUTERS/Mohyaldeen M Abdallah

Residents of Sudan's besieged city of al-Fasher have been taking refuge in underground bunkers to try to protect themselves from drones and shells after intensifying attacks on displacement shelters, clinics and mosques.

Famine-stricken al-Fasher is the Sudanese army's last holdout in the vast, western region of Darfur as it battles the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in a civil war that has raged for two-and-a-half years, Reuters reported.

The conflict, which erupted from an internal power struggle, has triggered ethnic killings, drawn in foreign powers and created a massive humanitarian crisis.

The army has been gaining ground elsewhere in Sudan, but Darfur is the RSF's stronghold where it aims to base a parallel government, potentially cementing a geographical splintering of the country.

More than one million have fled al-Fasher during an 18-month siege by the RSF, according to the UN, but it has become dangerous and expensive to leave. An estimated quarter of a million civilians remain, and there are fears of mass reprisals if the city falls.

STRUGGLE TO AVOID DRONE STRIKES

Many of those still in the city have dug bunkers for protection after repeated strikes on civilians, according to more than a dozen residents reached by phone as well as footage obtained and verified by Reuters.

The residents described avoiding drones by limiting movements and large gatherings during daytime, and not using lights after dark.

"We can only bury people at night, or very early in the morning," said Mohyaldeen Abdallah, a local journalist. "It's become normal for us."

Five residents said drones have followed civilians into areas where they gather, such as clinics. "When you're walking around you stick to the wall like a gecko so the drone won't see you go inside," said Dr. Ezzeldin Asow, head of al-Fasher's now-abandoned Southern Hospital.

At one shelter in al-Fasher's Abu Taleb school at least 18 people were killed in the week from September 30 by bombardment, a drone attack and an RSF raid, said Abdallah, who visited the site before and after the attacks.

Footage verified by Reuters showed the school's shattered ceilings and scarred walls. On the school grounds, it showed a dead body lying outside a shipping container buried in the ground to create a shelter, with sandbags around the entrance.

Neither the army nor the RSF responded to written requests or calls seeking comment on the incidents at Abu Taleb school and elsewhere in al-Fasher.

Residents captured in the footage blamed the RSF for attacks. Reuters could not independently verify who was responsible.

"They don't distinguish between civilians and soldiers, if you're human they fire at you," Khadiga Musa, head of the North Darfur health ministry, told Reuters by phone from al-Fasher.

The RSF and its allies have been blamed for waves of ethnically driven violence in Darfur during the war, with the US determining last year that they had committed genocide. Its leadership denies ordering such attacks and says rogue soldiers will face justice.

In a statement on October 12, the RSF said al-Fasher was "devoid of civilians". The army and allied self-defense fighters and former rebels had "turned hospitals and mosques into military barracks and rocket launchers," the RSF said.

The Sudanese army, which has denied responsibility for civilian deaths, has also used drones in al-Fasher.

REPEATED ATTACKS ON SECOND SHELTER

On October 10-11 another displacement shelter, Dar al-Arqam, located on university grounds that also house a mosque, suffered repeated strikes. The center's manager, Hashim Bosh, recorded 57 dead including 17 children, among them three babies.

"They were aiming at the mosque. They attacked right after Friday prayer," he said in a voice note to Reuters, describing the first strike. A second strike, he said, came from a drone that followed people running to another shipping container used as a shelter.

The next morning four more shells hit during dawn prayers, Bosh said. Residents interviewed in footage taken by local activists and verified by Reuters confirmed the attacks.

The footage also showed what appear to be 10 bodies covered in sheets at the site, a child-sized body covered by a small prayer rug, and several bodies, mangled and uncovered, inside the container.

Satellite imagery published by the Yale Humanitarian Research Lab (HRL) on October 16 showed six impact points on Dar al-Arqam's buildings.

BODIES SCATTERED IN THE STREETS

According to HRL, as of October 4 the RSF had extended earthen barriers to almost fully encircle al-Fasher.

As a result, activists warned last week that even ambaz, an animal feed people had resorted to eating, had become unavailable.

Activists from a local network, the al-Fasher Resistance Committee, say on average 30 people a day are dying from violence, hunger, and disease.

So many bodies were scattered in the streets that it was a health risk, according to the Abu Shouk Emergency Response Room, a volunteer network.

Those who spoke to Reuters said they feared being kidnapped, robbed, or killed if they left.

"Al-Fasher is basically lifeless," said a member of the Abu Shouk Emergency Response Room who only gave his first name, Mohamed. "But leaving is even more dangerous than staying."



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".