Clearing Gaza's Surface of Bombs Will Take up to 30 Years, Aid Group Says

An unexploded missile fired by an Israeli aircraft lies among the rubble, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in the northern Gaza Strip May 14, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
An unexploded missile fired by an Israeli aircraft lies among the rubble, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in the northern Gaza Strip May 14, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
TT

Clearing Gaza's Surface of Bombs Will Take up to 30 Years, Aid Group Says

An unexploded missile fired by an Israeli aircraft lies among the rubble, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in the northern Gaza Strip May 14, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
An unexploded missile fired by an Israeli aircraft lies among the rubble, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in the northern Gaza Strip May 14, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

Clearing the surface of Gaza of unexploded ordnance will likely take between 20 to 30 years, according to an official with aid group Humanity & Inclusion, describing the enclave as a "horrific, unmapped minefield".

More than 53 people have been killed and hundreds injured by lethal remnants from the two-year Israel-Hamas war, according to a UN-led database, which is thought by aid groups to be a huge underestimate, Reuters reported.

A US-brokered ceasefire this month has raised hopes that the huge task of removing them from among millions of tons of rubble can begin.

"If you're looking at a full clearance, it's never happening, it's subterranean. We will find it for generations to come," said Nick Orr, an Explosive Ordnance Disposal expert at Humanity & Inclusion, comparing the situation with British cities after World War Two.

"Surface clearance, now that's something that's attainable within a generation, I think 20 to 30 years," he added.

"It’s going to be a very small chipping away at a very big problem."

Orr, who went to Gaza several times during the conflict, is part of his organization's seven-person team that will begin identifying war remnants there in essential infrastructure like hospitals and bakeries next week.

For now, however, aid groups like his have not been given blanket Israeli permission to start work on removing and destroying the ordnance nor to import the required equipment, he said.

COGAT, the arm of the Israeli military overseeing Gaza aid, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It blocks items into Gaza which it considers have "dual use" - both civilian and military.

Orr said it was seeking permission to import supplies to burn away bombs rather than detonate them, to ease concerns about them being repurposed by Hamas.

He voiced support for a temporary force such as one foreseen in the 20-point ceasefire plan.

"If there is going to be any kind of future inside of Gaza, there needs to be an enabling security force that allows humanitarians to work," Orr said.



Hamas Says It Is Committed to Gaza Deal After Kushner’s Israel Visit

 Palestinians walk amid the ruins of buildings destroyed by Israeli airstrikes during the war with Hamas, in Gaza City, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
Palestinians walk amid the ruins of buildings destroyed by Israeli airstrikes during the war with Hamas, in Gaza City, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Hamas Says It Is Committed to Gaza Deal After Kushner’s Israel Visit

 Palestinians walk amid the ruins of buildings destroyed by Israeli airstrikes during the war with Hamas, in Gaza City, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
Palestinians walk amid the ruins of buildings destroyed by Israeli airstrikes during the war with Hamas, in Gaza City, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)

Hamas said on Tuesday it remained committed to the US-backed Gaza peace deal after White House envoy Jared Kushner spoke to Israel about steps towards the group's disarmament.

"Hamas is committed to this agreed-upon process. It is clear that, so far, the Israeli side has not given the mediators clear approval of the roadmap," Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP.

"There are timelines and procedural steps that need to be worked out in detail, but there must first be Israeli approval of the roadmap," he said.

Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law, held a rare meeting with Hamas on Sunday in Egypt before meeting the following day in Jerusalem with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has publicly rejected the latest phase of the deal.

Kushner, in a Fox News interview after the talks, said that Hamas's disarmament could begin in about 30 days and that reconstruction of Gaza would not begin until that happens.

Kushner also said that the United States is "not going to restrict Israel's right to defend itself if there are any imminent threats" in Gaza.

Netanyahu has demanded that Hamas fully disarm. In his talks with Kushner, the two sides agreed that a US general would oversee the surrender of weapons, according to an Israeli official.

Trump's Board of Peace implementing the deal has also told Netanyahu that Israel does not need to start withdrawing from Gaza until full disarmament, walking back an earlier call for Israel to start a phased pullout.

Israel has kept up airstrikes in Gaza despite the peace push.

The Israeli military said Tuesday that a strike two days earlier had killed a commander of the Islamic Jihad group who was responsible for abducting an Israeli during the October 7, 2023, attack that triggered the war.

Israeli operations have killed at least 1,265 Palestinians since a ceasefire came into effect on October 10, according to figures from Gaza's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.

The Israeli army has reported five deaths in its ranks from Gaza operations over the same period.


Syria Issues Death Sentence to Detained Assad Cousin

Wassim al-Assad during his trial at the Fourth Criminal Court in Damascus, Aug. 18, 2026. (SANA)
Wassim al-Assad during his trial at the Fourth Criminal Court in Damascus, Aug. 18, 2026. (SANA)
TT

Syria Issues Death Sentence to Detained Assad Cousin

Wassim al-Assad during his trial at the Fourth Criminal Court in Damascus, Aug. 18, 2026. (SANA)
Wassim al-Assad during his trial at the Fourth Criminal Court in Damascus, Aug. 18, 2026. (SANA)

A Syrian court on Tuesday issued a death sentence to detainee Wassim al-Assad, a cousin of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad who was himself sentenced to death in absentia a week ago.

Judge Fakhr al-Din al-Aryan said Wassim al-Assad was convicted of multiple murders and "murder accompanied by torture and brutality... classified as crimes against humanity and war crimes", adding that "he is therefore sentenced to death".

The judge said investigations established that Assad was involved in forming irregular armed groups at the direction of Brig. Gen. Ghiath Dalla. The groups targeted civilian areas in Eastern Ghouta and committed massacres, particularly in Al-Malihah, reported the state news agency SANA.

Al-Aryan said the court established beyond doubt that an armed group affiliated with Assad attacked a shop in Jaramana, stole its contents and abducted its owner because of his opposition to the former regime. The group was also involved in abducting and killing Syrian citizens in several areas.

The court convicted Assad of intentionally killing more than one person and acts of torture constituting crimes against humanity and war crimes. It also ordered the confiscation of his movable and immovable assets in favor of the public treasury.

The verdict was delivered at the court’s sixth hearing after the completion of all stages of the trial and related judicial proceedings. Members of the National Authority for Transitional Justice and representatives of international legal and humanitarian organizations attended.

The Fourth Criminal Court in Damascus had also sentenced ousted ruler Bashar al-Assad and several former officials to death on August 11 after convicting them of crimes including premeditated murder, torture, arbitrary detention and crimes against humanity.


Syria Accuses Israel of Striking Military Airfield

A picture taken on January 21, 2018 shows damaged Syrian air force fighter planes at the Abu Duhur military airport area in Syria's Idlib province. (File/AFP)
A picture taken on January 21, 2018 shows damaged Syrian air force fighter planes at the Abu Duhur military airport area in Syria's Idlib province. (File/AFP)
TT

Syria Accuses Israel of Striking Military Airfield

A picture taken on January 21, 2018 shows damaged Syrian air force fighter planes at the Abu Duhur military airport area in Syria's Idlib province. (File/AFP)
A picture taken on January 21, 2018 shows damaged Syrian air force fighter planes at the Abu Duhur military airport area in Syria's Idlib province. (File/AFP)

Syria accused Israel of striking a military airfield in the country's northwest on Tuesday, after a security source told AFP the out-of-service military facility had been hit. 

Israel has been carrying out incursions into Syrian territory since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad, including sending troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights since 1974. 

It has also hit key military sites including several airfields, according to a Syria war monitor. 

"Israeli occupation aircraft early this morning targeted the runway of the Abu Duhur military airport... with eight strikes," Syrian state television quoted an unidentified military source as saying. 

It added that "the attack resulted in material damage to the airport's infrastructure, without causing casualties". 

Israeli officials have said they intend to keep forces in a "security zone" in southern Syria, where they seek a broader demilitarized zone. 

Damascus has repeatedly condemned incursions in the country's south. 

During a joint press conference with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in Damascus last month, Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa called for an "active French role" to halt Israeli escalations in his country. 

- 'Violations' - 

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani also last month condemned "the continuation of Israeli military actions" and warned that "the unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region". 

He demanded an "immediate and unconditional withdrawal". 

But last week Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said that his country planned to keep troops in Syria. 

Israel captured most of the Golan from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move not recognized by most of the international community. 

The incursions have been condemned by the United Nations chief as "violations of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity". 

Despite tensions between the neighbors, Israel and Syria's new authorities have held several rounds of direct talks and have agreed to establish an intelligence-sharing mechanism. 

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa in June denied that his country sought to intervene militarily in Lebanon where Israel and Hezbollah are at war, after US President Donald Trump suggested Damascus could get involved. 

Hezbollah fought alongside Assad in the country's civil war, making Sharaa and the new authorities who toppled the former leader in 2024 deeply hostile to the group. 

Syria's war shattered the country's infrastructure and pushed millions of people to flee internally and abroad.