Int’l Human Rights Monitor Warns of Cholera Outbreak in Yemen

Patients recieve treatment at a hospital in Yemen. Photo: MSF
Patients recieve treatment at a hospital in Yemen. Photo: MSF
TT

Int’l Human Rights Monitor Warns of Cholera Outbreak in Yemen

Patients recieve treatment at a hospital in Yemen. Photo: MSF
Patients recieve treatment at a hospital in Yemen. Photo: MSF

The Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor has said that between March 2024 and August 2025, Yemen recorded about 332,000 suspected cholera cases and 1,073 related deaths, ranking third globally in infections.

In its latest report, it said that the cholera outbreak has become endemic in Yemen due to its extensive spread, high infection and death rates, and failure to address root causes.

“Between 2017 and 2020, Yemen suffered the largest cholera outbreak in modern history, and new cases are still recorded daily, further straining an already collapsed health system amid dwindling international funding and fragile water and sanitation infrastructure,” it noted.

The report added that the outbreak “stems directly from the collapse of water and sanitation networks, poor waste management, and obstruction of medical teams and supplies.”

“The de facto authorities and parties in Yemen” are responsible for maintaining, repairing, and protecting these networks and ensuring access to safe water and sanitation services, it stated.

According to the Monitor, the most vulnerable groups, particularly children and women, bear the greatest burden of humanitarian crises, including cholera outbreaks.

“Tens of thousands of Yemeni children contract acute diarrhea caused by cholera each year, leading to dehydration, severe malnutrition, and life-threatening illness. Severe overcrowding in displacement camps, poor hygiene and sanitation, and limited access to safe water make these camps ideal environments for the rapid spread of the disease among vulnerable groups,” it said.

It added that available data on the outbreak likely understate the true scale of the crisis.

“Actual infections and deaths are believed to be much higher due to weak surveillance systems, limited healthcare coverage, and many families’ reluctance to report cases because of the difficulty in accessing medical facilities. These factors make accurately assessing the epidemic’s scope extremely difficult,” said the report.

The Yemen Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan (HNRP) faces a severe funding shortfall exceeding 80 percent, caused by several donor countries and entities failing to honor their financial pledges, it added.

By September this year, only 474 million dollars of the 2.48 billion required had been disbursed. “This shortfall has weakened cholera control programs and disrupted many preventive and treatment activities, despite the significant efforts of local and international health organizations to protect millions of Yemenis from the epidemic.”

The Monitor called on states to honor their pledges.



Israeli Strike Kills 2 in South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026.  (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
TT

Israeli Strike Kills 2 in South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026.  (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)

The Israeli military carried out an airstrike in south Lebanon, killing two people it said on Friday were armed and "moving in a suspicious manner" in an area where it is fighting Hezbollah.

Israel and the Iran-backed group have been regularly trading fire in the country's south despite a ceasefire, which was extended by Israeli and Lebanese authorities last week, said AFP.

"A short while ago, IDF surveillance identified two armed individuals moving in a suspicious manner hundreds of meters from Israeli territory, in southern Lebanon," the Israeli military posted on Telegram.

"Following their identification and continuous monitoring by the IDF, the armed individuals were struck and eliminated in an aerial strike," the post said.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported overnight strikes in southern Tyre district had killed four and injured two medics at an Islamic Health Committee site.

Since a truce began on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting Hezbollah, which has also kept up attacks.

Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel on March 2 in retaliation for the killing of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.

Israel responded with a massive series of airstrikes and a ground invasion in the country's south, where its troops are operating inside an Israeli-declared "yellow line" running around 10 kilometers (six miles) inside Lebanon along the border.

Lebanon's health ministry said Thursday that Israeli attacks have killed at least 3,089 people since the wider regional war began.

Israel's military has reported the death of 22 personnel during the fighting.

Last week the fragile temporary truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of direct talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions that Hezbollah staunchly opposes.


Beirut Plan to Organize the Displaced Ends in Waterfront Camp

A camp housing displaced people from southern Lebanon and Beirut’s southern suburbs on the Lebanese capital’s waterfront (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A camp housing displaced people from southern Lebanon and Beirut’s southern suburbs on the Lebanese capital’s waterfront (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Beirut Plan to Organize the Displaced Ends in Waterfront Camp

A camp housing displaced people from southern Lebanon and Beirut’s southern suburbs on the Lebanese capital’s waterfront (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A camp housing displaced people from southern Lebanon and Beirut’s southern suburbs on the Lebanese capital’s waterfront (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The insistence of about 500 displaced Lebanese to stay along Beirut’s waterfront has raised questions about why they chose to remain in that area despite the lack of basic living conditions.

The displaced say they are staying for security reasons, fearing they could be targeted if they move to larger gatherings, such as the Sports City, and because they want to remain in Beirut rather than in distant areas in the north or the Bekaa.

But Beirut figures and lawmakers say the issue has security dimensions that go beyond the humanitarian aspect, arguing that their continued presence on the waterfront is taking place by a decision from Hezbollah.

The prime minister’s office said, “No infrastructure will be allowed to be built at the newly designated site, nor any additional facilities that could turn this temporary presence into a permanent reality.”

Over the past two days, the displaced were moved only a few meters from privately owned land, where they had been living in inhumane conditions inside random and disorganized tents, to adjacent land owned by the Beirut municipality.

Their presence was organized there, and proper tents were provided, along with security and organizational measures at the new site. But the gathering still lacks bathrooms and basic services.

The official decision to move the tents only a few meters, rather than ending the gathering and distributing the displaced to more suitable shelters, surprised many, especially as it effectively kept the same concentration of people on Beirut’s waterfront, with only limited organizational changes.

Prime minister’s office

The central operations room at the prime minister’s office said in a statement that, “as part of efforts to prevent random gatherings, fixed structures that had been set up on Beirut’s waterfront were removed, especially those made of wood, asbestos and concrete, in a way that prevents any expansion at this site.”

It said the new site, which belongs to the Beirut municipality, accounts for no more than 15% of the area where the tents had previously been set up.

It added that “this measure does not aim to establish a camp or an official shelter, nor to impose a new fait accompli, as some are trying to suggest, but rather to protect public order and security in the capital, and to remove encroachments on private property.”

It stressed that “no infrastructure will be allowed to be built at the newly designated site, nor any additional facilities that could turn this temporary presence into a permanent reality.”

Interior Ministry clarification

Interior Ministry sources said the displaced had been asked to move to Sports City but had refused.

“Because the tents had spread randomly, and under the directives of the prime minister, Beirut Governor Judge Marwan Abboud was tasked with finding a temporary solution to organize the situation. It was decided to confine the tents to land belonging to the Beirut municipality as a temporary measure,” the sources told Asharq Al Awsat.

They said the measure aimed to establish a minimum level of organization, while “the best solution remains for the displaced to move to shelters, in the hope that this crisis ends as soon as possible so they can return to their homes.”

A decision by Hezbollah?

MP Waddah Sadek said the authorities had faced three options, either leave the gathering in the state of chaos it was in on private land, move the displaced within the same area to state owned land in a way that ends the encroachment on private property and allows their presence to be better organized, or remove the tents and gathering by force, which would have led to a security incident given the displaced people’s refusal to leave.

“The officials concerned chose the second option because they considered it the best at this stage,” Sadek told Asharq Al Awsat.

Sadek said, “What is happening is taking place by a clear decision from Hezbollah, because the displaced have no interest in staying in the condition they are in when better alternatives and options exist.”

He warned of “gatherings under the title of displacement at every entrance to Beirut, which reinforces fears over the scenario Hezbollah is preparing.”

Security fears?

One of the displaced people at Beirut’s waterfront said in a television interview that their insistence on staying where they are was “purely” for security reasons.

“We fear being gathered in one large center, such as the Sports City, and then Israel targeting us,” he said.

Although the Social Affairs Ministry had provided buses for weeks to transport them to other areas, where suitable shelters had been prepared, they refused to leave and insisted on staying in the capital.

Deporting Syrians

Beirut municipal council member Mohammad Ballouza said the municipal council had no role in the file and that no council session had been held to take any decision on the matter.

“The decision to move the displaced from private land to land belonging to the Beirut municipality was taken under the directives of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, under the supervision of the interior minister, and implemented by the Beirut governor. Instead of having tents spread across private property, they were gathered on land owned by the Beirut municipality,” he told Asharq Al Awsat.

Ballouza said, “The displaced do not want to leave the area, so they were only provided with tents. Syrians were deported to Syria or moved to other points.”

He said shelters in Beirut had reached full capacity and that the capital had exceeded its ability to absorb more people. “The Sports City in Beirut can accommodate only about 200 people,” he said.

Fear that the temporary becomes permanent

MP Ghassan Hasbani, a member of the Strong Republic bloc, visited the Grand Serail with MP Fouad Makhzoumi, where they discussed with Prime Minister Nawaf Salam the presence of the displaced on Beirut’s waterfront.

After the meeting, Hasbani stressed the need to move the displaced to other equipped shelters, saying Beirut’s waterfront is not prepared or able to accommodate this population, whether on private or municipal properties.

He also voiced concern that “the temporary could become permanent, especially through public property that must be protected.”

 


Baghdad Sends Team to Saudi Arabia, UAE to Trace Attacks

Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
TT

Baghdad Sends Team to Saudi Arabia, UAE to Trace Attacks

Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)

A senior Iraqi security team will soon travel to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to request intelligence on the trajectory and launch sites of attacks that targeted the two countries, an Iraqi government official said on Thursday, as part of an ongoing investigation.

The Iraqi official, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said the Ministerial Council for National Security, at its latest meeting chaired by Prime Minister and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces Ali al-Zaidi, approved the formation of an investigative committee into the attacks, including two teams, one of which will travel to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

The Iraqi government said on Wednesday it would take “all measures against those involved” if it was proven that Iraqi territory had been used as a launchpad for attacks targeting Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

It said a special committee had been formed to coordinate with the relevant authorities in both countries and to follow up on the ongoing investigations.

The Iraqi official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the investigative team would use evidence and radar maps to track the parties involved.

“The investigative committee will submit its final report to Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi as soon as it completes its work,” they said.

Earlier, Sabah al-Numan, spokesman for the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, said in a statement that the Ministerial Council for National Security had discussed the continuing investigations into the attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

He said a special committee had been formed to contact officials in the two countries, and that the prime minister had ordered that all measures be taken against those involved if it was proven that Iraqi territory had been used as a launchpad for the attacks.

Separately, the Coordination Framework alliance said in a statement late on Wednesday that it rejected any attack or aggression targeting neighboring or Arab countries, stressing “the importance of respecting the sovereignty of states and sparing the region further tension.”

It also called on security agencies to complete the ongoing investigations and take the necessary measures to protect Iraq’s security and sovereignty.

The UAE demanded that the Iraqi government urgently and unconditionally prevent “all hostile acts” emanating from its territory, following a drone attack that targeted the Barakah nuclear power plant.

Saudi Arabia condemned the attack on the UAE “in the strongest terms,” saying it categorically rejected attacks that threaten the region’s security and stability.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry stressed the Kingdom’s full solidarity with the UAE and its support for all measures taken by Abu Dhabi to preserve its sovereignty, security and territorial integrity.

On the security front, Iraq’s Counter Terrorism Service announced the opening of an intelligence coordination center within the Counter Terrorism Forces Command, in a move it said was aimed at strengthening the agency’s intelligence capabilities and unifying efforts among different intelligence units.

The Counter Terrorism Service said in a statement that its chief, Staff Lieutenant General Karim al-Tamimi, visited the headquarters of the Counter Terrorism Forces Command and opened the intelligence coordination center.

It said the center aimed to strengthen and unify intelligence efforts, increase the intelligence capabilities of the agency’s personnel, and enhance coordination and cooperation among different intelligence units.