EU Seeks Faster Crackdown on China Parcels that Could Hit Shein, Temu

Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

EU Seeks Faster Crackdown on China Parcels that Could Hit Shein, Temu

Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)
Shein and Temu logos are seen in this illustration taken August 22, 2024. (Reuters)

European finance ministers agreed on Thursday to bring forward to next year customs duties on low-value parcels arriving in the bloc to crack down on cheap Chinese e-commerce imports, in a move set to hit Chinese online retailers Shein and Temu.

The agreement to introduce duties "as soon as possible in 2026" by finance ministers' meeting in Brussels sets up negotiations with the European Parliament, whose approval is also required, Reuters reported.

The European Union is trying to accelerate the imposition of fees on low-value parcels entering the bloc in a bid to crack down on cheap Chinese e-commerce imports as concern grows over Chinese goods being dumped in Europe.

European Commissioner for Trade Maros Sefcovic had proposed to the ministers that the "de minimis" duties exemption for online purchases below 150 euros ($175) be removed in the first quarter of 2026, two years earlier than planned. It should be replaced with a "simplified temporary customs fee", he said.

In 2023, the European Commission proposed removing the exemption, but only from 2028, when a broader overhaul of the EU's customs regime is due to take effect and the de minimis exemption will more formally be abolished.

Online platforms like Shein, Temu, AliExpress and Amazon Haul, which send products from Chinese factories directly to shoppers, offer rock-bottom prices partly thanks to the customs waiver, hurting European rivals.

"European industries, particularly retailers, have repeatedly underlined that this distortion of competition be removed without delay," Sefcovic wrote.

German online retailer Zalando, among those pushing the EU to act, said in a statement that the removal of the exemption should be fast-tracked, and an EU-wide handling fee could "play a complementary role" in the meantime.

MOVE TO HIT SHEIN, TEMU

Shein declined to comment, while Temu, AliExpress, and Amazon did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Shein is facing legal proceedings in France over the sale of child-like sex dolls on its platform.

The number of low-value e-commerce packages arriving in the bloc doubled last year to 4.6 billion, over 90% of them from China, and the Commission, the bloc's executive arm, is facing pressure from EU companies to stem that flow more quickly.

"We've already received more parcels than in the entire year of 2024, and Black Friday and Christmas are just around the corner," EU lawmaker Dirk Gotink, chief negotiator on the new customs legislation, said in a statement welcoming the move to scrap the customs waiver faster.

The US has scrapped its own "de minimis" policy that allowed duty-free entry to parcels worth less than $800, leading to concerns that cheap Chinese imports would divert more to Europe.

There is also added urgency as individual EU countries have moved to introduce national handling fees.

Romania has proposed a 25 lei ($5.73) fee on low-value packages, while Italy is working on a tax by the end of the year to protect its fashion industry, its industry minister said on Wednesday.

RETAILERS WARN AGAINST ASSORTMENT OF NATIONAL FEES

European retailers and wholesalers' lobby group EuroCommerce have warned that an assortment of different national fees risks undermining the EU single market. The Commission has proposed a 2 euro fee, but it is not clear when it would be imposed.

Sefcovic said he welcomed the backing from EU finance ministers because European business, particularly retailers, had repeatedly demanded the removal without delay of "this distortion of competition".

Dutch Finance Minister Eelco Heinen told reporters it was time to "get a grip" on cheap Chinese parcels flooding the European market, while Greek Finance Minister Kyriakos Pierrakakis said in a statement that his country backed the immediate imposition of tariffs on small parcels.

 

 



Coach Owner Tapestry Targets International Markets for 70% of Growth

 Recycled Coach bags are displayed at their store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, US, September 9, 2025. (Reuters)
Recycled Coach bags are displayed at their store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, US, September 9, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Coach Owner Tapestry Targets International Markets for 70% of Growth

 Recycled Coach bags are displayed at their store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, US, September 9, 2025. (Reuters)
Recycled Coach bags are displayed at their store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, US, September 9, 2025. (Reuters)

Tapestry expects ‌about 70% of its growth over the next few years to come from international markets, with the Coach handbag owner's expansion plans focused on China and Europe.

"Our penetration right now is relatively lower in international markets," Tapestry CEO Joanne Crevoiserat told Reuters on Monday.

China accounts for about 15% of the ‌US company's ‌business, but offers significant potential, particularly ‌among ⁠younger consumers.

"There is so ⁠much more potential if we think about the population in China, particularly with young consumers," Crevoiserat said, adding that Tapestry aims to become a first luxury bag purchase, which helps build ⁠long-term brand loyalty.

Tapestry's sales in ‌China had been ‌growing by double digits over the last ‌two years, at a time when ‌the market for handbags actually was weak, she added.

"We see a tremendous opportunity to continue to grow in that market," she said ‌on the sidelines of the Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit ⁠in ⁠Italy, adding that the group is increasing investments in the area.

In Europe, which accounts for around 6% of total sales, Tapestry has shifted its focus away from tourist-driven demand toward younger consumers and local customers.

Asked about potential M&A, Crevoiserat told the event that Tapestry is focused on organic growth, building on momentum at Coach and reigniting growth at Kate Spade.


Dr. Martens’ Annual Profit Surges 61% on Cost Cuts and Fewer Discounts

Dr. Martens shoes are displayed inside a shop in Manchester, Britain, May 26, 2023. (Reuters)
Dr. Martens shoes are displayed inside a shop in Manchester, Britain, May 26, 2023. (Reuters)
TT

Dr. Martens’ Annual Profit Surges 61% on Cost Cuts and Fewer Discounts

Dr. Martens shoes are displayed inside a shop in Manchester, Britain, May 26, 2023. (Reuters)
Dr. Martens shoes are displayed inside a shop in Manchester, Britain, May 26, 2023. (Reuters)

Dr. Martens on Tuesday posted a 61.3% jump in full-year adjusted pre-tax profit, as the British bootmaker began to ‌see results from ‌a tighter ‌control ⁠on costs and fewer ⁠discounts.

The company, known for its iconic lace-up chunky boots, has deliberately pulled ⁠back on clearance ‌activity ‌across its direct-to-consumer and ‌wholesale channels to ‌improve the quality of its sales.

Dr. Martens posted adjusted pre-tax ‌profit of 55 million pounds ($73.78 million) for ⁠the ⁠year ended March 29, up from the 34.1 million pounds posted last year, with shoes being the standout performer.


Gucci Takes Over New York's Times Square for Fashion Show

A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
TT

Gucci Takes Over New York's Times Square for Fashion Show

A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
A model presents a creation from the Gucci Cruise 2027 collection at Times Square in New York City, US, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

Famed Italian fashion house Gucci took over New York's iconic Times Square on Saturday for its second runway show led by creative director Demna.

Models walked down a wide runway set up in Manhattan, bordered by 7th Avenue and Broadway, while its famous billboards broadcast the images.

Guests were separated from the street by large black panels, while onlookers and tourists were able to enjoy the show live from the sidewalk as it was broadcast across screens in the famed neighborhood.

The Cruise collection show -- held outside the official fashion calendars -- is the second show presented by Georgian designer Demna, who goes by one name, AFP reported.

The 45-year-old took over Gucci in July after a decade at Balenciaga, charged with helping reverse falling sales.

As with his first show in Milan last February, Demna emphasized the sexiness and glamour that have made Gucci a success: satiny, shiny fabrics, leather, leopard prints, fur, high heels for the women and cinched waists for everyone.

The nods to the 1970s and 1980s were pronounced, as were the references to Tom Ford, who helmed the collections between 1994 and 2004 -- a period considered a golden age for the brand.

Model Cindy Crawford, former American football player Tom Brady, and media personality Paris Hilton walked the runway. Other guests included singer Mariah Carey, musician Shawn Mendes, rapper Stormzy and reality TV star Kim Kardashian.

French luxury group Kering, which owns Gucci, saw sales slide by six percent in the first quarter of this year, with the Italian fashion house still dragging down its performance.

"Our priority is to make Gucci unmissable again... In one second you must know it's Gucci -- and it doesn't mean covering the world with GG," the group's CEO Luca de Meo said in April.