Iran to Boycott 2026 World Cup Draw Due to US Visa Restrictions

Soccer Football - World Cup Playoff Tournament and European Playoff draws - FIFA Headquarters, Zurich, Switzerland- November 20, 2025. The original FIFA World Cup trophy is kept on display during the draws REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
Soccer Football - World Cup Playoff Tournament and European Playoff draws - FIFA Headquarters, Zurich, Switzerland- November 20, 2025. The original FIFA World Cup trophy is kept on display during the draws REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
TT

Iran to Boycott 2026 World Cup Draw Due to US Visa Restrictions

Soccer Football - World Cup Playoff Tournament and European Playoff draws - FIFA Headquarters, Zurich, Switzerland- November 20, 2025. The original FIFA World Cup trophy is kept on display during the draws REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
Soccer Football - World Cup Playoff Tournament and European Playoff draws - FIFA Headquarters, Zurich, Switzerland- November 20, 2025. The original FIFA World Cup trophy is kept on display during the draws REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

Iran is to boycott next week's World Cup finals draw in Washington because the United States refused to grant visas to several members of the delegation, the Iranian football federation announced on Friday.

"We have informed FIFA that the decisions taken have nothing to do with sports and the members of the Iranian delegation will not participate in the World Cup draw," the federation's spokesperson told state television.

Iranian sports website Varzesh 3 claimed on Tuesday the United States had declined issuing visas to several members of the delegation including the president of the federation Mehdi Taj.

On Thursday Taj denounced the decision as being a political one.

"We have told the head of FIFA mister (Gianni) Infantino, that it is purely a political position and that FIFA must tell them (US) to desist from this behavior," added Taj.

According to Varzesh 3 four members of the delegation including Amir Ghalenoei, the coach, had been granted visas for the draw on December 5.

The United States -- which is co-hosting the World Cup with Canada and Mexico -- and Iran have been at loggerheads for over four decades.
 



US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
TT

US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo

The US Open will hand out $108 million in prize money at this year's final Grand Slam, it said on Thursday, marking the largest purse in tennis history and a 20% jump from last year's total payout.

The men's and women's singles champions ⁠at the August ⁠23 to September 13 major in New York will earn $5.5 million each, which marks a 10% increase from last year ⁠and is the largest Grand Slam payment in history for a main draw singles champion.

The compensation package also includes what tournament organizers said is a Grand Slam record for first-round payouts, which this year will increase 27% ⁠to $140,000, Reuters reported.

The ⁠payout structure was revealed shortly after the sport's four biggest tournaments announced the creation of a Grand Slam Player Council that is intended to give players a voice on a range of issues like prize money.


Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
TT

Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Tennis's four biggest tournaments announced on Thursday the creation of a Grand Slam Player Advisory Council that will focus on a range of issues including prize money.

The Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open said in a joint press release that the council will be launched following the year's final Grand Slam, which starts later this month in New York.

The tournaments are currently shaping the composition of the council and operating structure with player input.

Interested players will be able to apply for positions on the council where they can address a full range of Grand Slam sporting matters, including the desire for a greater share ⁠of revenue from ⁠the four blue-riband events.

"Having a seat at the table with the Grand Slams is something we have wanted for some time, so I’m really pleased to see this council come together," Reuters quoted world number six Ben Shelton as saying in a press release.

"It gives us, as players, a real opportunity to have a voice, contribute to the conversation ⁠and help shape the tournaments beyond what happens on the court."

At this year's French Open, women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka said players would boycott the event if their prize money at the clay-court Grand Slam was not increased. American Coco Gauff also voiced her support for the drastic step.

The four blue-riband events said the goal of the council will be to further strengthen the partnership between the Grand Slams and the players, with a focus on player input into sporting matters at the tournaments.

Sporting matters that affect the ⁠Grand Slam ⁠tournaments collectively will be addressed through the council on a joint basis.

The council will also provide a regular forum for players to discuss issues like player welfare and compensation with each Grand Slam individually because of the distinct structure, economics, governance and decision-making process of each tournament.

"We have listened to the players’ desire for a greater voice and this advisory council is an important step towards a stronger relationship between the Grand Slams and the players," said Deborah Jevans, chair of the All England Club.

"We look forward to working together to elevate the player experience, further enhance the Grand Slam tournaments and ensure the sport continues to thrive."


Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
TT

Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz

Brazil will stage the opening game and final of the 2027 Women's World Cup at Rio de Janeiro's Maracana Stadium, according to the match schedule unveiled on Thursday for the 32-team tournament.

The hosts kick off the event on June 24 in a fitting opening to the first Women's World Cup held in South America, with the Maracana -- one of the game's most famous venues and the site of Brazil's heartbreak defeat by Uruguay in the 1950 men's World Cup decider -- also hosting the July 25 final.

FIFA confirmed that all eight host cities will stage at least seven matches and a minimum of one knockout game.

Brasilia, Porto Alegre, Recife and Salvador will stage matches through to the last 16, while Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo will hold the quarter-finals.

Sao Paulo and Rio will host the semi-finals.

"I already have goosebumps thinking about the incredible passion, colour and energy that Brazilian fans will bring to the tournament as they welcome the world to eight vibrant host cities," FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.

The Maracana will become only the third stadium to host both a men's and women's World Cup final, following Stockholm's Rasunda Stadium and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

"Each host city will add its own unique flavour, making this a colourful, joyful and unforgettable celebration," former Brazil captain Aline Pellegrino said.

"The world's best players will feel that energy from the stands and they will give it back on the pitch through moments and performances that will inspire girls and boys around the world."

The final schedule will be published later this year.