Lebanon FM Urges Iran to Find ‘New Approach’ on Hezbollah Arms

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with Lebanese Minister of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants Youssef Raggi (R) at the Foreign Ministry in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, 09 January 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with Lebanese Minister of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants Youssef Raggi (R) at the Foreign Ministry in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, 09 January 2026. (EPA)
TT

Lebanon FM Urges Iran to Find ‘New Approach’ on Hezbollah Arms

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with Lebanese Minister of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants Youssef Raggi (R) at the Foreign Ministry in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, 09 January 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with Lebanese Minister of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants Youssef Raggi (R) at the Foreign Ministry in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, 09 January 2026. (EPA)

Lebanese Foreign Minister Youssef Raggi on Friday urged his visiting Iranian counterpart to find a "new approach" to the thorny issue of disarming the Iran-backed Hezbollah group.

Lebanon is under heavy US pressure to disarm Hezbollah, which was heavily weakened in more than a year of hostilities with Israel that largely ended with a November 2024 ceasefire, but Iran and the group have expressed opposition to the move.

Iran has long wielded substantial influence in Lebanon by funding and arming Hezbollah, but as the balance of power shifted since the recent conflict, officials have been more critical towards Tehran.

"The defense of Lebanon is the sole responsibility of the Lebanese state", which must have a monopoly on weapons, Raggi told Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, a Lebanese foreign ministry statement said.

Raggi called on Iran to engage in talks with Lebanon to find "a new approach to the issue of Hezbollah's weapons, drawing on Iran's relationship with the party, so that these weapons do not become a pretext for weakening Lebanon".

He asked Araghchi "whether Tehran would accept the presence of an illegal armed organization on its own territory".

Last month, Raggi declined an invitation to visit Iran and proposed meeting in a neutral third country.

Lebanon's army said Thursday that it had completed the first phase of disarming Hezbollah, doing so in the south Lebanon area near the border with Israel, which called the efforts "far from sufficient".

Araghchi also met President Joseph Aoun on Friday and was set to hold talks with several other senior officials.

After arriving on Thursday, he visited the mausoleum of former Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, who was killed in a massive Israeli air strike on south Beirut in September 2024.

Last August, Lebanese leaders firmly rejected any efforts at foreign interference during a visit by Iran's security chief Ali Larijani, with the prime minister saying Beirut would "tolerate neither tutelage nor diktat" after Tehran voiced opposition to plans to disarm Hezbollah.



Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)

Israel carried out a fresh strike in Syria on Saturday and lambasted US envoy Tom Barrack for criticizing an earlier attack on an air base in the northwest, which Israel has accused Türkiye of seeking to use. 

Barrack on Tuesday slammed Israel's attack on the disused military air base that day as an "unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability". 

On Friday, in an interview with influencer Mario Nawfal, Barrack said the strike may have been intended to provoke a conflict with Türkiye, prompting Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz to hit back on Saturday, calling the remarks "full of inaccuracies". 

Since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad, Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria and has sent troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that for decades had separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Golan Heights. 

Katz wrote on X on Saturday that Israel had passed on "intelligence information to the authorized parties in the United States" before the strike on Tuesday. 

He added that Barrack's comments were "full of inaccuracies and positions that contradict the stance of US President (Donald) Trump himself regarding the Golan Heights", after Barrack called the territory "occupied". 

Israel captured most of the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move only recognized by the United States and, this month, also Colombia. 

- 'Flagrant violation' - 

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, commenting on the Tuesday strike, said Türkiye, an ally of the new authorities in Damascus, had been looking to establish a military presence on the air base. 

Ankara has denied any visit to the site. 

Netanyahu and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have traded barbs since the incident, and Ankara announced it was seeking an Interpol red notice for Netanyahu, accusing him of "genocide" linked to the interception of a Gaza-bound aid flotilla. 

Netanyahu's office called Erdogan an "antisemitic dictator" while Erdogan's office called the remarks "outrageous ravings" and accused Netanyahu's government of "seeking to evade accountability". 

Also on Saturday, Syrian state television said a man was wounded when an "Israeli occupation drone" targeted a vehicle in the village of Beit Jinn, located southwest of Damascus near the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, with the foreign ministry calling it a "flagrant violation" of its sovereignty. 

Israel's military acknowledged the strike, saying that its forces "fired in southern Syria toward a terrorist who advanced terror attacks in the final stages of preparation", without identifying the target. 

Israel has carried out repeated incursions into Syrian territory and has vowed to keep troops in a so-called "security zone" in southern Syria, where it seeks a broader demilitarized area. 

This week Israeli army chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir told troops in southern Syria that "we are monitoring the changes on the Syrian front. We will not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on our borders." 


Former Envoys Urge Joint French, UK Action on Palestinian Territories

Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Former Envoys Urge Joint French, UK Action on Palestinian Territories

Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

Dozens of former senior French and UK diplomats on Saturday urged their governments to work together to uphold international law in the Palestinian territories, accusing Israel of seeking to "destroy" any prospect of a viable Palestinian state.

The 102 signatories of the letter published in Le Monde included former British ambassadors to the UN Jeremy Greenstock and Emyr Jones Parry as well the former directors for the Middle East at the French foreign ministry Yves Aubin de la Messuziere and Denis Bauchard.

They said the involvement of France and the UK was essential given the historic roles of the two powers in the Middle East and the fact that both permanent members of the UN Security Council, in 2025 recognized a Palestinian state.

"Our two nations believe that those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity must be held to account. Only then can our governments rebut the accusation of double standards. That is why they must act together to uphold international law in Palestine," said the letter.

It accused Israel of seeking "to destroy any prospect of an independent Palestinian state, showing contempt for the law, the rulings of the International Court of Justice and countless UN Security Council resolutions."

Israel launched a military campaign on the Palestinian territory of Gaza following the October 7, 2023 attack by the Hamas group against Israel.

Violence in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, has surged since the Gaza war began, sparking international concern over the conduct of Israeli troops and settlers.

France and Britain this week joined other countries in releasing a statement condemning the Israeli government's release of new tenders for construction in the occupied West Bank.

The letter said house demolitions and "rampant settler violence -- with the connivance of the Israeli army and police" in annexed east Jerusalem and the West Bank amounted to "ethnic cleansing"

"The world no longer sees Israel as a genuine democracy -- there is nothing democratic about depriving others of their rights and land," said the letter.


Fatah Senior Delegation Heads to Cairo to Meet Palestinian Factions

A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
TT

Fatah Senior Delegation Heads to Cairo to Meet Palestinian Factions

A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

A senior delegation from the Fatah movement is expected to travel to the Egyptian capital Cairo on Saturday evening or Sunday morning to meet Egyptian officials, as well as Palestinian faction officials and representatives, to discuss legislative elections scheduled for Nov. 28.

The delegation will include Fatah Deputy Chairman and Palestinian Vice President Hussein al-Sheikh, Central Committee member Majed Faraj and Palestinian National Council Chairman Rawhi Fattouh.

Electoral Arrangements

An informed source from a Palestinian faction in Cairo told Asharq Al-Awsat that they were informed by some Fatah leaders about this high-level visit, aimed at meeting with various factions to make electoral arrangements.

Meanwhile, a source from a leftist faction said that the initiative to hold national meetings was a proposal from one of the leftist factions, with the aim of broadening options for the success of any elections.

According to the scheduled agenda for the visit, the Fatah delegation is expected to meet with a Hamas delegation, for the first time in a long period, after Fatah had refrained from any meetings for at least the past two years.

Most communications had been indirect, with messages conveyed between the two sides through various parties.

Broad Electoral Alliance

This comes amidst efforts by some Palestinian factions, including Hamas, to form an electoral alliance that includes Islamic Jihad, the Resistance Committees, and the Democratic Reformist Current led by Mohammed Dahlan, a dismissed Fatah leader, as well as another Fatah leader, Nasser al-Qudwa.

Qudwa has formed the National Democratic Forum which also faces disagreements with the movement's current leadership, which controls the Palestinian Authority's key institutions.

Hossam Badran, a member of Hamas's political bureau, affirmed his movement's position to participate in the elections through a broad national bloc comprising Palestinian factions and independent figures. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he indicated that communication has begun with various parties and components, and many bilateral and collective meetings have been held to achieve this bloc.

A Hamas source told Asharq Al-Awsat that an initial agreement has been reached between these factions to form this alliance.

Leftist Factions

It was noted that the participation of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) and the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), both factions of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), in this alliance has not been confirmed.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned from a leading source in one of these factions that they have not yet agreed to the proposal to join the alliance, and are internally studying it with their organizational structures, suggesting that the two fronts might form a unified democratic alliance.

Recently, the Hamas leadership held a series of meetings with leaders from various Palestinian factions to discuss issues related to the ceasefire in Gaza, as well as the elections.

Islamic Jihad's Participation

Notably, Islamic Jihad has announced it will join the alliance, despite previously refusing to take part in elections, which it viewed as being held under the framework of the Oslo Accords.

Asharq Al-Awsat sought comment from Islamic Jihad leaders and spokespeople, but they did not respond to requests for comment.

A senior movement source in Lebanon said the issue of joining the alliance, or even participating in the elections, had not been decided and that broad consultations were under way within the movement.

Anticipated Postponement and Election Law

The development comes amid talk of a possible postponement of the elections until the end of March next year, with the aim of holding presidential and legislative elections simultaneously. The move is also intended primarily to revisit the political parties law, which has resurfaced after previously being put on hold. The law restricts the participation in elections of Palestinian factions that have armed wings.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas amended the election law, particularly provisions requiring electoral lists to commit to the program of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), the recognized sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people. The program includes recognition of relevant international resolutions, including recognition of Israel, the renunciation of violence and other conditions that Hamas and other Palestinian factions had previously rejected.

It was unclear whether al-Sheikh and Faraj would discuss the possible postponement of the elections and amendments to the election law with Palestinian faction officials if the visit proceeds.

Arab and Islamic states are working to bridge differences between Fatah and Hamas over elections and other issues, while seeking to reform the Palestinian Authority and establish it as the governing body for the West Bank and Gaza amid continued Israeli attacks.