Astronaut's Serious Medical Condition Forces NASA to End Space Station Mission Early

Crew-11 mission astronauts departed the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 1, 2025 (Gregg Newton/AFP)  
Crew-11 mission astronauts departed the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 1, 2025 (Gregg Newton/AFP)  
TT

Astronaut's Serious Medical Condition Forces NASA to End Space Station Mission Early

Crew-11 mission astronauts departed the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 1, 2025 (Gregg Newton/AFP)  
Crew-11 mission astronauts departed the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 1, 2025 (Gregg Newton/AFP)  

NASA announced that four astronauts will return from the International Space Station more than a month ahead of schedule after an unnamed crew member experienced a medical issue.

The incident marks the first time in history NASA has brought astronauts home from the space station early because of a medical issue, according to CNN.

NASA has not provided details about the nature of the problem, citing privacy concerns. The agency typically does not discuss the specifics of health matters related to astronauts.

A SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule will bring the four-person crew home, disembarking from the ISS as soon as Wednesday at 5 pm ET. The spacecraft is then expected to splash down off the coast of California early the following morning, NASA said in a statement last week.

The affected astronaut is in stable condition, NASA previously confirmed, and is not expected to receive special treatment during the return trip, said Dr James Polk, NASA’s chief health and medical officer at the agency’s headquarters.

The astronaut would also be best served by being evaluated on the ground, Polk added.

“We have a very robust suite of medical hardware on board the International Space Station,” Polk noted during a news conference. “But we don’t have the complete amount of hardware that I would have in the emergency department, for example, to complete a workup of a patient.”

He added, “And in this particular incident, we would like to complete that work up, and the best way to complete that workup is on the ground.”

 

 

 



European Wildfires Reveal a Hidden Danger: Buried Bombs and Mines from WWI and WWII

A member of Metz' mine-clearing center, Civil Protection Mine Clearance Task Force (Groupement d’Intervention du Déminage / GID) recovers a WWI German 22cm shell reported by the ONF (Office National des Forêts) in the area of Douaumont, northeastern France on July 8, 2026. (AFP)
A member of Metz' mine-clearing center, Civil Protection Mine Clearance Task Force (Groupement d’Intervention du Déminage / GID) recovers a WWI German 22cm shell reported by the ONF (Office National des Forêts) in the area of Douaumont, northeastern France on July 8, 2026. (AFP)
TT

European Wildfires Reveal a Hidden Danger: Buried Bombs and Mines from WWI and WWII

A member of Metz' mine-clearing center, Civil Protection Mine Clearance Task Force (Groupement d’Intervention du Déminage / GID) recovers a WWI German 22cm shell reported by the ONF (Office National des Forêts) in the area of Douaumont, northeastern France on July 8, 2026. (AFP)
A member of Metz' mine-clearing center, Civil Protection Mine Clearance Task Force (Groupement d’Intervention du Déminage / GID) recovers a WWI German 22cm shell reported by the ONF (Office National des Forêts) in the area of Douaumont, northeastern France on July 8, 2026. (AFP)

The wildfires burning across Europe this summer have exposed a potentially deadly threat lurking beneath the blackened landscape: rusty bombs and mines from World War I and II that threaten crews responding to the flames.

Some of the weapons have exploded in the intense heat. Blasts have been reported in France, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands, where a bomb-disposal team was dispatched to check a forest threatened by flames near a site of fierce fighting in the Limburg province in 1944.

Fueled by climate change, the fires and explosions show that the continent’s “climatic luck” is running out, said Sarah Njeri, a peace and conflict scholar at London’s School of Oriental and African Studies. Steady temperatures and predictable rainfall once ensured that most buried weapons stayed dormant.

“Climate change is now doing the work of unburying and reactivating what was previously stable,” Njeri said. Fires can ignite old munitions but can also burn away the scrub and brush that hides them.

This wildfire season was supercharged by heavy rains in January that spurred vegetation growth, which became kindling when the summer heat arrived. Those temperatures, combined with drought conditions, low humidity and stiff winds, offered an ideal environment for fire, according to a study issued last month by the World Weather Attribution group.

Flames chewed up old battlefields and set off buried explosives

As they advanced, the flames moved over territory that has long been known to hold unexploded weapons, a lethal legacy that lingered long after the guns fell silent.

In a forest in tinder-dry France, a massive wildfire outside the southwestern city of Bordeaux uncovered a cache of what is believed to be World War II-era ammunition.

In the eastern Belgian province of Liege, Gov. Hervé Jamar said “a few sporadic detonations" were recently heard and that emergency services were adapting to account for munitions buried in a fire area. He said no fire crews were in danger, but local media published photos of a firefighter handling a rusted bomb.

During World War II, booby traps, bombs and mines were sprinkled throughout the province's dense peat-bog forest known as the High Fens. In the first four years after Germany’s surrender in 1945, the munitions killed six civilians, said Bernard Collard, a local historian who runs the Truschbaum Museum near Belgium's border with Germany that houses a collection of found objects from the war.

“When you go into a forest like this, you are not sure where the explosives are,” he said. He remembers his father detonating a found bomb in a quarry.

The fire in the High Fens, which stretches across the border with Germany, is smoldering atop a much-bloodied battlefield where Nazis fought Allied troops. The Battle of the Bulge was fought in and around the High Fens.

The fire is even closer to the sites of two lesser-known skirmishes along Elsenborn Ridge and in the Hurtgen Forest, which lasted 88 days and killed about 33,000 American and 28,000 German troops.

Every year, Belgium responds to thousands of calls about explosives

Collard is authorized to scan with a metal detector the former battlefields, now forests, pastures and farmland. He has found mortar shells, machine guns, helmets, cigarette cases, and once, a human skeleton.

“You never know what you might come across, and you shouldn’t take it lightly,” Collard said while standing in a field that was once a blood-soaked site. Nearby, blueberry bushes cover old foxholes, trenches and deep craters from artillery fire.

He frequently works with the Belgian demining squad. “It’s part of our history. We live with it,” Collard said.

Unexploded ordnance is even more dangerous around wildfires because heat can trigger the explosives, said Jonas Tepe, a spokesperson for North Rhine-Westphalia, just across the border in Germany.

The Belgian Ministry of Defense said it receives requests from the region about every week to assist in disarming explosives, yet it does not consider the area a “hot spot” compared to elsewhere in Belgium. Such requests are even more common in the west, where farmers in towns such as Ypres — infamous for harrowing trench warfare in World War I — call the annual tilling of the soil “ the iron harvest ” because it turns up so many war remnants.

Every year across the nation, Belgium’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Destruction Service responds to more than 3,000 calls and disposes of 200 to 250 tons of munitions left over from both world wars.

Flames are not the only threat

Drought has also helped to lay the past bare by shrinking rivers and lakes to reveal old weapons.

In Slovakia, the Danube River fell and exposed two naval mines that police pulled out of the water and buried in a trench for a controlled demolition. Authorities in Hungary closed Budapest's Margaret Bridge after a bomb dating from World War II emerged at its base in receding water.

As the Rhine dried up, German authorities also found a WWII-era bomb.

Christina Greene, a researcher at the University of Arizona who, with Njeri, wrote an article on Europe’s wildfires and unexploded ordnance risk, said “the legacy of war keeps creeping up” because of climate change.

“It's reliving the legacies of war and conflict in a way that we haven't had to deal with in a while in certain places."


Prince Harry and Others Ordered to Pay Initial £9.54 million over Failed Lawsuit

FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave after a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul's Cathedral in London, Friday, June 3, 2022 on the second of four days of celebrations to mark the Platinum Jubilee. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, Pool, File)
FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave after a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul's Cathedral in London, Friday, June 3, 2022 on the second of four days of celebrations to mark the Platinum Jubilee. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, Pool, File)
TT

Prince Harry and Others Ordered to Pay Initial £9.54 million over Failed Lawsuit

FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave after a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul's Cathedral in London, Friday, June 3, 2022 on the second of four days of celebrations to mark the Platinum Jubilee. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, Pool, File)
FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave after a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul's Cathedral in London, Friday, June 3, 2022 on the second of four days of celebrations to mark the Platinum Jubilee. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, Pool, File)

Prince Harry and other high-profile claimants must make an interim payment of £9.54 million towards the legal costs of the Daily Mail publisher after losing their privacy lawsuits, London's High Court ruled on Friday.

Last month, judge Matthew Nicklin comprehensively rejected the case brought by King Charles' younger son, singer Elton John and five other figures, rejecting allegations that the Mail titles had engaged in widespread unlawful activities, such as phone hacking.

Friday's judgment on costs also delivered another damaging blow to Harry and the others, ruling that the outstanding amount should be paid on an "indemnity basis".

This means that as the losing party the prince and the others must pay towards Associated's costs without the publisher needing to show these were reasonable and proportionate.

Associated had said after the judge's initial ruling that it was an overwhelming victory for its newspaper and journalists, and "for a free press generally", while the prince, 41, described the ruling as a "complete and obvious whitewash".

 

 

 


UK Met Office: El Nino to be 'Biggest for Over a Century’

FILE PHOTO: The London skyline is seen with the financial district in the background, in London, Britain, March 25, 2026. REUTERS/Isabel Infantes./File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The London skyline is seen with the financial district in the background, in London, Britain, March 25, 2026. REUTERS/Isabel Infantes./File Photo
TT

UK Met Office: El Nino to be 'Biggest for Over a Century’

FILE PHOTO: The London skyline is seen with the financial district in the background, in London, Britain, March 25, 2026. REUTERS/Isabel Infantes./File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The London skyline is seen with the financial district in the background, in London, Britain, March 25, 2026. REUTERS/Isabel Infantes./File Photo

This year's El Nino weather pattern will be the biggest in over a century, warming sea surface temperatures to an "unheard-of" level, Britain's national weather agency predicted Friday.

The El Nino weather pattern is declared when sea temperatures in the tropical eastern Pacific rise 0.5C above the baseline average, triggering worldwide changes in winds, atmospheric pressure and rainfall patterns, and causing warmer global temperatures overall.

Adam Scaife, head of long-range forecasting at the Met Office, told the BBC that "We are expecting the biggest El Nino for over a century, peaking at something over three degrees -- that is unheard-of in modern climate records."

According to AFP, he called it "an unprecedented event", adding that "I have never seen an El Nino signal this intense in our forecasts."

The anomalous warmth, which is "up to nearly two degrees already,” will have particularly strong effects throughout the Tropics, Scaife said, "where we expect really severe droughts in places like South America, and the West Pacific.”

Temperatures in the region are currently running about 2.6C above a rolling 30-year average, according to the Climate Brink dashboard.

"These are not short-term weather forecasts. We're talking about really long-term, persistent conditions here. There are well-known impacts on other systems including food, food security," said Scaife, a physicist who specializes in climate modelling.

The weather pattern is also expected to cause "increased rainfall and storminess in the autumn here in the UK around November time,” Scaife said.