Saudi Judiciary Under King Salman: Faster Justice, Better Rulings

King Salman bin Abdulaziz receives members of the Supreme Judicial Council and the Supreme Court in Riyadh on November 28, 2018. (SPA)
King Salman bin Abdulaziz receives members of the Supreme Judicial Council and the Supreme Court in Riyadh on November 28, 2018. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Judiciary Under King Salman: Faster Justice, Better Rulings

King Salman bin Abdulaziz receives members of the Supreme Judicial Council and the Supreme Court in Riyadh on November 28, 2018. (SPA)
King Salman bin Abdulaziz receives members of the Supreme Judicial Council and the Supreme Court in Riyadh on November 28, 2018. (SPA)

During the reign of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz, now entering its second decade, Saudi Arabia’s judiciary has been reshaped by a sweeping digital transformation.

At the heart of the overhaul is the "Najiz" platform, which has emerged as the unified electronic gateway for all Ministry of Justice services, moving the justice system beyond physical courtrooms and into remote litigation through electronic filings and virtual hearings.

The Ministry of Justice has previously said Saudi courts held more than 2.3 million hearings in 2024, with 98 percent conducted remotely through electronic litigation services.

The system covers all litigation procedures that can be carried out electronically, including the exchange of pleadings, the submission of documents, the holding of hearings by video link, the issuance of judgments, the receipt of copies of rulings, and the filing of appeals.

The service shortens the duration of cases, accelerates adjudication, and allows litigants full access to case documents.

Najiz services

The Najiz platform includes four portals for individuals, businesses, lawyers, and government entities and offers more than 160 judicial services, sparing users the need to visit judicial facilities.

Services include filing lawsuits electronically, electronic litigation, requests for enforcement of judgments, and documentation services, such as marriage and divorce registration, issuance of powers of attorney, and amendments to real estate deeds. Litigants and their representatives can plead cases online through Najiz and respond to court requests without attending in person.

Saving 65 million visits

At the second International Justice Conference, held in Riyadh in November 2025, Deputy Minister of Justice Najm Al-Zaid said the Najiz platform had delivered more than 160 services and facilitated two million remote court sessions, saving beneficiaries an estimated 65 million visits to judicial facilities.

Services for inmates

In January 2025, the Ministry of Justice launched the “Inmate Services” initiative to develop judicial services. Media reports said the initiative enabled 300,000 remote video hearings for inmates in 2024.

Prisoners can attend hearings by audio and video without being transferred to court, receive or authenticate judgments electronically, and file appeals through Najiz. The ministry also established a dedicated "Inmate Services System" unit to coordinate these services.

The Saudi Ministry of Justice. (SPA)

Impact on justice and investment

Participants at the second International Justice Conference in November 2025 said digital transformation in the judiciary boosts transparency and speeds up rulings, making it an essential factor in attracting investment to the Kingdom.

Saudi courts began remote operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2020, during the suspension of in-person attendance, 10,897 judgments were issued remotely, enabled by electronic services provided through Najiz and a unified call center.

These indicators show the Saudi judiciary has achieved a qualitative leap toward digital justice. Najiz has consolidated most judicial services and electronic litigation into the norm rather than the exception, expanding to include inmates and people with disabilities. This has been reflected in the rising number of remote hearings and the saving of millions of court visits.

From oral to digital litigation

As part of reengineering justice to align with the requirements of a digital state, the reign of the King Salman bin Abdulaziz has seen major amendments to judicial regulations. Among the most significant was the 2021 amendment to Article 65 of the Law of Civil Procedure, establishing written pleadings as the default before courts after oral pleadings had previously been the norm.

Under the amendment, lawsuits, memoranda, defenses, and responses must be submitted in writing through official channels, and courts must grant litigants sufficient time to review and respond to case documents.

The shift was not merely procedural. It marked a move toward institutional digital justice, grounded in documentation, transparency, ease of archiving, and integration with electronic litigation platforms, such as Najiz, thereby enhancing both the speed of adjudication and the quality of judgments.

Faster justice and more reliable procedures

Meanwhile, judicial notification methods were expanded to include electronic notices via text messages and email.

This transformation has helped shorten litigation timelines, ensure faster and more reliable delivery of notices, and reduce case delays caused by failures of traditional notification methods.

The changes reflect the Saudi judiciary’s alignment with digital government concepts during King Salman’s reign. Justice is no longer tied to location or paper but has become an integrated, data-driven, technology-enabled system that reinforces the principle of “justice without delay” in the era of digital transformation.



Saudi Arabia, Kuwait Coordinate Efforts to Tackle Regional Developments

Prince Faisal bin Farhan receiving Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah during a previous meeting in Riyadh (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Prince Faisal bin Farhan receiving Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah during a previous meeting in Riyadh (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait Coordinate Efforts to Tackle Regional Developments

Prince Faisal bin Farhan receiving Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah during a previous meeting in Riyadh (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Prince Faisal bin Farhan receiving Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah during a previous meeting in Riyadh (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call from his Kuwaiti counterpart, Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah during which the two officials discussed the latest regional developments and ways to enhance coordination and consultation in response to them.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry said the call addressed regional developments and the joint efforts aimed at consolidating security and stability within the framework of ongoing coordination between Riyadh and Kuwait on issues of mutual concern.

Gulf states continue their diplomatic engagement to closely monitor regional security and political developments and strengthen joint coordination in confronting shared challenges.


Holy Sites Transform into Giant Smart Cities during Hajj Season

Each year during Hajj, the Holy Sites undergo a remarkable transformation, emerging within days as one of the world's largest seasonal smart cities capable of accommodating millions of pilgrims through vast networks of energy, water, transport, communications, and digital services. (SPA)
Each year during Hajj, the Holy Sites undergo a remarkable transformation, emerging within days as one of the world's largest seasonal smart cities capable of accommodating millions of pilgrims through vast networks of energy, water, transport, communications, and digital services. (SPA)
TT

Holy Sites Transform into Giant Smart Cities during Hajj Season

Each year during Hajj, the Holy Sites undergo a remarkable transformation, emerging within days as one of the world's largest seasonal smart cities capable of accommodating millions of pilgrims through vast networks of energy, water, transport, communications, and digital services. (SPA)
Each year during Hajj, the Holy Sites undergo a remarkable transformation, emerging within days as one of the world's largest seasonal smart cities capable of accommodating millions of pilgrims through vast networks of energy, water, transport, communications, and digital services. (SPA)

Each year during Hajj, the Holy Sites undergo a remarkable transformation, emerging within days as one of the world's largest seasonal smart cities capable of accommodating millions of pilgrims through vast networks of energy, water, transport, communications, and digital services, the Saudi Press Agency said on Monday.

Behind the scenes, an around-the-clock infrastructure system operated by government and service agencies manages crowds, ensures smooth mobility, and maintains high standards of safety and comfort for pilgrims, before the sites return to their usual calm following the end of Hajj rituals.

Kidana Development Company, the executive arm of the Royal Commission for Makkah City and Holy Sites, continues to implement infrastructure and operational projects to enhance services and ensure sustainable performance throughout the Hajj season.

Projects include cooling and shading the area surrounding Jabal Al-Rahmah (Mount Arafat) across more than 392,000 square meters, increasing the number of benefiting pilgrims fivefold compared with last year.

In healthcare, Kidana doubled bed capacity compared to last year by expanding Mina Emergency Hospital to strengthen emergency preparedness and improve medical services during Hajj.

Pedestrian routes across the holy sites were also upgraded through a 103,000-square-meter shading project, while more than 66,000 square meters of rest areas were developed along walking paths to improve pilgrim comfort.

As part of the Green Holy Sites initiative, more than 60,000 trees were planted, tripling the amount of green space.

The company also replaced mist spray columns with 400 misting fans at the Jamarat facility, increasing cooling capacity to serve around 360,000 pilgrims per hour, double last year’s level.

A project aimed at humanizing the Holy Sites also enhanced the visual environment in Muzdalifah, thereby improving the urban landscape.

Additionally, infrastructure projects focused on enriching the pilgrim experience and easing mobility.

Some 74 escalators were installed to connect Mina's hillside camps, helping improve crowd movement and access to accommodations.

To expand accommodation capacity in Mina, Kidana implemented the Kidana Al-Khayf tent project near the Jamarat complex across 24,000 square meters, alongside the Rabiah Kidana lodging project spanning more than 33,000 square meters.

The company also upgraded sanitation services through 516 facilities and nearly 17,000 toilets, reducing waiting times by 75% while maintaining pilgrim accommodation capacity.

Across Muzdalifah and Arafat, more than 6,900 toilets were added through 411 sanitation complexes, bringing the total number of restroom facilities in the holy sites to more than 115,000.

Kidana is also upgrading the technical and service infrastructure in pilgrim camps through enhanced fire safety and cooling networks, expanded power systems, and projects to improve operational safety and field services.

The integrated operational model highlights Saudi Arabia’s capability to manage one of the world’s most complex seasonal environments using advanced digital technologies and smart systems, turning the Holy Sites into a fully functioning modern city that emerges briefly each year to serve millions of pilgrims from around the world.


Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
TT

Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its "grave concern" over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the "depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia."

It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

Authorities have opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding" Sunday’s incident, it added.

The country's air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

It stressed "Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.