WhatsApp Accuses Russia of Trying to Fully Block its Service

FILED - 21 January 2022, Berlin: The icon of Whatsapp is seen on the screen of a smartphone. Photo: Fabian Sommer/Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH/dpa
FILED - 21 January 2022, Berlin: The icon of Whatsapp is seen on the screen of a smartphone. Photo: Fabian Sommer/Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH/dpa
TT

WhatsApp Accuses Russia of Trying to Fully Block its Service

FILED - 21 January 2022, Berlin: The icon of Whatsapp is seen on the screen of a smartphone. Photo: Fabian Sommer/Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH/dpa
FILED - 21 January 2022, Berlin: The icon of Whatsapp is seen on the screen of a smartphone. Photo: Fabian Sommer/Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH/dpa

US messenger app WhatsApp, owned by Meta Platforms, accused authorities in Russia on Thursday of trying to fully block its service in order to drive Russians to a state-owned app, which it alleged was used for surveillance.

"Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia," WhatsApp said in a statement.

"We continue to do everything we can ‌to keep users connected."

Some ‌domain names associated with WhatsApp on Thursday disappeared from Russia's ‌national ⁠register of domain ⁠names, meaning that devices inside Russia stopped receiving its IP addresses from the app and that it could be accessed only by using a virtual private network (VPN), Reuters reported.

Roskomnadzor, the state communications regulator, and the Kremlin did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Roskomnadzor first began restricting WhatsApp and other messenger services in August, making it impossible to complete phone calls on them, accusing the foreign-owned platforms of failing ⁠to share information with law enforcement in fraud and terrorism ‌cases.

It said in December it was taking ‌new measures to gradually restrict the app, which it accused of continuing to violate Russian ‌law and of being a platform used "to organize and carry out terrorist acts ‌on the territory of the country, to recruit their perpetrators and to commit fraud and other crimes."

Since then, many Russians have been able to use WhatsApp only in conjunction with a virtual private network and have switched to using rival messenger apps, though some ‌of those - like Telegram - are also under pressure from the authorities for the same reasons.

In a video published by state ⁠news agency ⁠TASS on Wednesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said there was a possibility of reaching an agreement if Meta entered into dialogue with the Russian authorities and complied with the law.

"If the corporation (Meta) sticks to an uncompromising position and, I would say, shows itself unready to align with Russian legislation, then there is no chance," Peskov said.

Russian authorities, who also block or restrict social media platforms such as Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, are heavily pushing a state-backed messenger app called MAX, which critics say could be used to track users.

The authorities have dismissed those accusations as false and say MAX, which integrates various government-related services into it, is designed to simplify and improve the everyday lives of citizens.



EU Moves to Sanction Iran over Hormuz Blockade

Traffic through Hormuz, a vital global shipping conduit, has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of war with Israel and the United States on February 28. (Photo by AFP) /
Traffic through Hormuz, a vital global shipping conduit, has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of war with Israel and the United States on February 28. (Photo by AFP) /
TT

EU Moves to Sanction Iran over Hormuz Blockade

Traffic through Hormuz, a vital global shipping conduit, has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of war with Israel and the United States on February 28. (Photo by AFP) /
Traffic through Hormuz, a vital global shipping conduit, has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of war with Israel and the United States on February 28. (Photo by AFP) /

European Union nations moved Friday towards imposing sanctions on Iranian officials and others responsible for blocking the Strait of Hormuz, the EU said.

Tehran effectively closed the key shipping lane for global gas and oil in retaliation to US-Israeli strikes launched in February.

Deeming the blockade "contrary to international law", EU governments took a technical step to extend the scope of its existing Iran sanctions regime allowing for more individuals to be targeted under it.

"The EU will now be able to introduce further restrictive measures in response to Iran's actions undermining the freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz," the European Council representing EU nations said.

Brussels' punitive measures on Iran previously targeted the country's military support for Russia in its war against Ukraine and for armed groups across the Middle East.

The European Union has also imposed sanctions over human rights violations in the country.

The EU did not immediately name any individual or entities that would be targeted by the new sanctions, consisting of travel bans and asset freezes.

EU citizens and companies will also be banned from making funds, financial assets or other economic resources available to those listed.

The Iran war and the closure of Hormuz, which normally carries a fifth of global oil production, have sent ripples across the global economy, sending energy prices soaring.


Rubio Cites Some Progress on Iran Talks but 'We're Not There Yet'

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio during a signing ceremony on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio during a signing ceremony on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Cites Some Progress on Iran Talks but 'We're Not There Yet'

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio during a signing ceremony on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio during a signing ceremony on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, Friday, May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

The United States has seen some progress in talks with Iran and is in constant communication with the Pakistani mediators, but there is more work to be done, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday.

"There's been some progress. I wouldn't exaggerate it. I wouldn't diminish it," Rubio told reporters after a NATO ministers meeting in Sweden.

"There's more work to be done," he added. "We're not there yet. I hope we get there."

President Donald Trump would prefer to do a good deal, Rubio said. The core concern remains that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon and the issue of future uranium enrichment needs to be discussed as well as reopening the Strait of Hormuz, he said.

"We're dealing with a very difficult group of people, and if it doesn't change, then the president's been clear he has other options," Rubio said.

"He prefers the negotiated option and having a good deal, but he himself has expressed concern that maybe that's not possible. But we're going to keep trying."

Rubio said the United States was in constant communication with the Pakistanis who are facilitating the talks with Iran.

There was no specific ask from the US on Friday for help from NATO on the Strait of Hormuz but there needs to be a Plan B if Iran refuses to reopen the supply route, Rubio said after the close of the NATO meeting.

 

 

 


Netherlands to Ban Imports from Israel's Jewish Settlements

The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
TT

Netherlands to Ban Imports from Israel's Jewish Settlements

The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 

The Dutch government has agreed to impose a ban on imports of goods produced in Jewish settlements in Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories, Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten said on Friday.

The ban is meant to prevent "any contribution through economic activities by the Netherlands to the unlawful occupation", Jetten said.

The previous Dutch government last year said it was planning the ban, which is now expected to take effect in the second half of the year.

The Netherlands is a leading global buyer of Israeli goods, but the government has never disclosed what volume of goods are currently imported from Jewish settlements.

Most world powers deem Israel's settlements, on land it captured in a 1967 war, illegal. Numerous UN Security Council resolutions have called on Israel to halt all settlement activity.

Israel disputes this, saying it has historical and biblical ties to the land.