No Mourinho and Prestianni for Benfica in Champions League Match Against Real Madrid

SL Benfica's Argentine forward #25 Gianluca Prestianni hides his mouth while arguing with Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinícius Júniorwho complained about alleged racists insults during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (AFP)
SL Benfica's Argentine forward #25 Gianluca Prestianni hides his mouth while arguing with Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinícius Júniorwho complained about alleged racists insults during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

No Mourinho and Prestianni for Benfica in Champions League Match Against Real Madrid

SL Benfica's Argentine forward #25 Gianluca Prestianni hides his mouth while arguing with Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinícius Júniorwho complained about alleged racists insults during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (AFP)
SL Benfica's Argentine forward #25 Gianluca Prestianni hides his mouth while arguing with Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinícius Júniorwho complained about alleged racists insults during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (AFP)

There won't be another confrontation between Vinícius Júnior and Gianluca Prestianni in the Champions League this week.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium on Wednesday, but UEFA banished Prestianni from the game on Monday following accusations he racially abused Vinícius in the first leg of the knockout round last week.

Madrid won 1-0 in Lisbon after Vinícius scored in the second half. But when the Brazil forward celebrated by the Benfica corner flag and upset the local fans and players, the game was halted for nearly 10 minutes. Prestianni confronted Vinícius, who accused the Argentine of calling him “monkey.” Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius.

The anti-racism protocol was activated but no further action was taken during the match as there was no evidence against Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt while talking to Vinícius. The Madrid forward was shown a yellow card after his celebration.

UEFA said the one-match suspension of Prestianni from its control, ethics and disciplinary body was related to discriminatory behavior.

“This is without prejudice to any ruling that the UEFA disciplinary bodies may subsequently make following the conclusion of the ongoing investigation and its respective submission to the UEFA disciplinary bodies,” it said in a statement.

Benfica said in a statement that it lamented that Prestianni was suspended while the investigation was underway. It said it would appeal UEFA's suspension. Portuguese media said Prestianni was expected to travel to Madrid with the squad.

Prestianni did not play in Benfica’s 3-0 win over AVS on Saturday in the Portuguese league because of a yellow card suspension, but he was expected to be on the field along with Vinícius during Wednesday's match at the Bernabeu.

Vinícius scored Madrid's goal in a 2-1 loss at Osasuna on Saturday in La Liga.

Mourinho out

Missing for Benfica on Wednesday will be coach José Mourinho, who was sent off late in the first leg for complaining to the referee. The former Madrid coach criticized Vinícius for celebrating his goal by the Benfica flag.

Benfica said Mourinho was not going to attend the pre-game news conference on Tuesday, with his assistant taking over.

Mourinho said Saturday it was a “tough week” for everyone at Benfica. He declined to comment when asked if he regretted his criticism of Vinícius.

Surprising Bodø/Glimt

On Tuesday, small Norwegian club Bodø/Glimt will look to keep its surprising run going when it takes a two-goal advantage for the second leg at Inter Milan.

The first leg win followed back-to-back wins against Manchester City and Atletico Madrid in the league phase.

Inter, last year’s Champions League runner-up, will hope to overcome the deficit and show the loss in Norway was a fluke amid a run of seven wins in eight games across all competitions.

“Sometimes we produce our best in big matches, other times we don’t,” Inter defender Manuel Akanji said. “But there aren’t two different versions of Inter. Yes, we lost to Bodø/Glimt last time out in the Champions League but we’re still the same team capable of great things.”

Juve's crisis

Another Italian club which will need a comeback will be Juventus when it hosts Galatasaray on Wednesday after losing 5-2 in the first leg in Türkiye.

Juventus has been struggling, though, and is coming off a 2-0 home loss to Como in Serie A that hurt its hopes of Champions League qualification next season. It was Juventus’ third straight defeat across all competitions and its fifth game in a row without a win.

Focused PSG

Defending European champion Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco won in Ligue 1 this weekend ahead of their second leg in Paris on Wednesday. Monaco's 3-2 victory over Lens allowed PSG to regain the league lead after beating Metz 3-0.

In the Champions League, PSG came from two goals down against Monaco to win the first leg 3-2. Désiré Doue, who scored twice against Monaco, also found the net in the win against Metz.

Atletico Madrid rebounds

Atletico squandered a two-goal lead and conceded late in a 3-3 draw in its first leg at Club Brugge.

Diego Simeone's team rebounded ahead of Tuesday's return match by defeating Espanyol 4-2 in La Liga on Saturday. Ademola Lookman scored again, earning his fourth goal in six matches since being signed by Atletico.

“It's always important to win ahead of an important match like the one we have on Tuesday,” Simeone said.

Elsewhere Also on Tuesday, Newcastle will be in control when it hosts Qarabag defending a 6-1 first-leg win, while Bayer Leverkusen holds a 2-0 lead from its win at Olympiakos. Borussia Dortmund also won 2-0 in the first leg against Atalanta ahead of the return game in Italy.



Monfils Warms Up for Final French Open with Star-studded Farewell Party

FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
TT

Monfils Warms Up for Final French Open with Star-studded Farewell Party

FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)
FILE - Gael Monfils of France plays a forehand return to Dane Sweeny of Australia during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara, File)

Gael Monfils brought the party to Roland Garros on Thursday, teaming up with his wife Elina Svitolina to win a lively, star-studded exhibition match as he prepared for his final appearance at his home Grand Slam.

The popular Frenchman took center stage on Court Philippe-Chatrier for 'Gael & Friends', an evening that blended tennis, music and tributes to celebrate his two-decade journey on the professional tour.

The former world number six was joined by an array of leading players, including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Four-times Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka also ⁠featured, alongside Maria ⁠Sakkari and rising American talent Iva Jovic, while his former Davis Cup teammates Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Richard Gasquet added a nostalgic touch to the occasion.

Monfils and Svitolina capped the night by winning the exhibition event, delighting the Paris crowd in an event filled with laughter, trick shots and ⁠playful exchanges replacing the usual tension of a competition.

Monfils won 13 ATP titles and enjoyed memorable runs in Paris, including a semi-final appearance in 2008. He helped France to Davis Cup finals in 2010 and 2014.

While a Grand Slam title eluded him, his impact extended far beyond results and his on-court charisma made him a major draw card wherever he played.

"Thanks to you all for everything you've given me over the years," the 39-year-old showman said after the ⁠exhibition match. "It's ⁠been a dream of my life. I've always given my absolute most. I was never quite good enough to win a Grand Slam. But maybe I won something more important than that - a tennis career I'm proud of."

Svitolina, who had earlier called her husband "a magician" in a note written to their daughter, was reduced to tears as Monfils lingered on court, soaking up one final ovation, Reuters reported.

Monfils will play 25-year-old compatriot Hugo Gaston in the first round at Roland Garros next week, his 19th appearance in the main draw at the French Open.


Ronaldo's Brace Fires Al Nassr to Saudi League Title With 4-1 Win Over Damac

Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
TT

Ronaldo's Brace Fires Al Nassr to Saudi League Title With 4-1 Win Over Damac

Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)
Nassr's Portuguese forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after his team scored their second goal during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Damac at the Al-Awwal Park Stadium in Riyadh on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice to help Al Nassr clinch the Saudi Pro League title with a 4-1 victory over Damac on the final day of the season, with Sadio Mane and Kingsley Coman also on the scoresheet for Jorge Jesus's side.

The win meant Al Nassr finished on 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal, who beat Al Fayha 1-0 but were left ⁠to settle for ⁠second place.

The triumph marks Al Nassr's first league crown since 2019 and the first Saudi title for Ronaldo, who joined the team in late 2022.

Soccer Football - Saudi Pro League - Al Nassr v Damac - Al Awwal Park, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - May 21, 2026 Al Nassr's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after winning the Saudi Pro League REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

Al Nassr broke the deadlock in the 34th ⁠minute when Mane rose to meet a Joao Felix corner, powering a header past the goalkeeper.

They extended their lead in the 52nd minute when Coman weaved past the defense before unleashing a fierce left-footed strike from outside the area into the bottom corner, Reuters reported.

Damac were handed a lifeline when Morlaye Sylla converted a penalty in the ⁠58th ⁠minute, but any hopes of a comeback were quickly extinguished.

Soccer Football - Saudi Pro League - Al Nassr v Damac - Al Awwal Park, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - May 21, 2026 Al Nassr's Cristiano Ronaldo and team members celebrate with the trophy after winning the Saudi Pro League REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

Ronaldo restored the two-goal cushion five minutes later, curling a sublime free kick into the net to make it 3-1.

The Portuguese great put the result beyond doubt in the 81st minute. He pounced on a loose ball after the Damac defense failed to clear a cross, smashing a powerful shot into the top corner.


French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”