Tchouameni: Real Madrid Victory for 'Everyone against Racism'

Real Madrid's Aurelien Tchouameni (L) and Benfica's Vangelis Pavlidis fight for the ball during the UEFA Champions League play-offs second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Benfica in Madrid, Spain, 25 February 2026.  EPA/Sergio Perez
Real Madrid's Aurelien Tchouameni (L) and Benfica's Vangelis Pavlidis fight for the ball during the UEFA Champions League play-offs second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Benfica in Madrid, Spain, 25 February 2026. EPA/Sergio Perez
TT

Tchouameni: Real Madrid Victory for 'Everyone against Racism'

Real Madrid's Aurelien Tchouameni (L) and Benfica's Vangelis Pavlidis fight for the ball during the UEFA Champions League play-offs second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Benfica in Madrid, Spain, 25 February 2026.  EPA/Sergio Perez
Real Madrid's Aurelien Tchouameni (L) and Benfica's Vangelis Pavlidis fight for the ball during the UEFA Champions League play-offs second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Benfica in Madrid, Spain, 25 February 2026. EPA/Sergio Perez

Real Madrid midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni said his team's 2-1 win against Benfica on Wednesday to reach the Champions League last 16 was a victory for "everyone who is against racism".

The Frenchman was referring to the first leg of the play-off tie, which Madrid won 1-0 last week, which was marred by alleged racial abuse aimed at Vinicius Junior by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni.

"We didn't play our best match of the season, that's for sure. But I think there are things more important than this match, and more important than football," Tchouameni told reporters.

Vinicius scored Madrid's second goal at the Santiago Bernabeu and Tchouameni said the result was a "victory for everyone who is against racism".

Prestianni was provisionally suspended by UEFA for the game while the incident is under investigation and Benfica had an appeal against his ban rejected earlier Wednesday.

"The dance continues," wrote Vinicius on social media afterwards, along with a photo of a big banner hung at the Bernabeu reading "no to racism".

Real Madrid said they had thrown out one of their own supporters before the game for performing a Nazi salute.

"This (club) member was identified by the club's security staff moments after appearing on the (television) broadcast and was immediately expelled from the Santiago Bernabeu stadium," AFP quoted Madrid as saying in a statement.

"Real Madrid condemns this type of gesture and expression that incites violence and hatred in sports and society."

Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa said he was happy when Vinicius found the net.

"(I reacted) with joy obviously, for the great goal he scored, and because it was him, he deserves it," said Arbeloa.

"Without (Kylian) Mbappe I think it's even more important and I am very happy for him."

Before the game Arbeloa said French superstar Mbappe would spend some time out as he recovers from a knee problem.

"After yesterday's session, we talked with the doctors, I spoke with him, and we felt the best thing was for him to stop, to recover 100 percent, and to come back in top shape, confident and without any discomfort for everything that's coming, which is obviously very important," Arbeloa told reporters after the match.

Asked if it was discomfort or an injury, he added: "I think we can call it an injury, but it seems, and I hope, that it's not a very serious injury, nothing major, and that he'll be able to come back in a few days or weeks."



Celebrations Erupt in North London After Arsenal Seal Premier League Title

Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Celebrations Erupt in North London After Arsenal Seal Premier League Title

Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)

Thousands of Arsenal supporters ‌flocked to the streets of North London on Tuesday as the club clinched their first Premier League title in 22 years, sparking wild scenes outside the Emirates Stadium that continued deep into the night.

Arsenal, who had a dominant campaign and led the league for almost the entire season, were confirmed as champions without kicking a ball after second-placed Manchester City drew 1-1 at Bournemouth.

The players had gathered at the ‌club's training ‌ground an hour north of London ‌to ⁠watch the match and ⁠video released on social media showed them leaping around and hugging one another once the club's 14th English title was assured.

In London, fans streamed out of houses and gathered outside the club's Emirates Stadium, setting off fireworks and flares while chanting "Champions! ⁠Champions! Ole! Ole! Ole!"

"Words can't describe it, ‌we've been waiting 22 years ‌for this. It's unbelievable," an Arsenal fan told Reuters ‌TV.

"Bournemouth did us a massive favor today, they played ‌so well. And we're deserved champions, so, happy days."

Arsenal great Ian Wright also joined the party outside the stadium and was mobbed by fans singing his name.

"I was absolutely ‌over the moon," Wright, who scored 185 goals for the club in the ⁠1990s, told ⁠Premier League Productions.

"I got in the cab, got my Mrs. and my girls in the cab and I said, 'We're going down there, let's go down to the Emirates.'"

"It's amazing, honestly, and this club deserves it. Our fans deserve it all, around the world and everybody, we deserve this, man."

Arsenal finish their Premier League campaign with a trip to Crystal Palace on Sunday, before they move on to face Paris St Germain in the Champions League final in Budapest on May 30.


UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players
TT

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA has issued a lifetime ban to Petr Vlachovsky, a Czech women's soccer coach who secretly filmed his players, the governing body announced on Tuesday.

Czech media reported that the coach was convicted in May 2025 and initially received a suspended one-year prison sentence and a five-year domestic coaching ban for filming FC Slovacko's players in changing rooms, the youngest of whom was 17.

In a statement, ⁠UEFA's Control, Ethics ⁠and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) said it had decided to ban Vlachovsky "from exercising any football-related activity for life" following the appointment of an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector to investigate allegations of potential misconduct.

"The CEDB further ⁠decided to request FIFA to extend the abovementioned ban on a worldwide level and to order the Football Association of the Czech Republic to revoke Mr. Petr Vlachovsky’s coaching license," Reuters quoted the statement as saying.

FC Slovacko did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

Football players' union FIFPRO welcomed the ban as well as UEFA's request for ⁠world ⁠soccer governing body FIFA to impose an international ban on Vlachovsky.

"This outcome sends a strong and necessary message that abusive and inappropriate behavior has no place in football and that safeguarding the wellbeing of players must remain a priority at every level of the game," FIFPRO added in a statement.

Vlachovsky had also previously served as coach of the Czech women's Under-19s team.


Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
TT

Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)

Carlos Alcaraz's hopes of regaining his Wimbledon title have been dashed with the two-time champion announcing Tuesday he is withdrawing as he recovers from a wrist injury.

"My recovery is going well and I'm feeling much better, but unfortunately I'm still not ready to play, I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen's and Wimbledon," said Spaniard Alcaraz, who lost to world number one Jannik Sinner in last year's final.

"These are two really special tournaments for me and I'll miss them a lot. We'll keep working to come back as soon as possible."

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome and then Roland Garros, where he is the reigning two-time champion.

The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. The 23-year-old holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.

Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open.

Alcaraz's injury has stopped him continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian Sinner, 24, who is firm favorite to triumph in Paris and London.