EU-GCC Ministerial Meeting Convenes Thursday to Discuss Iranian Crisis

Life returns to normal in Kuwait after Iranian missiles and drones were intercepted (AFP). 
Life returns to normal in Kuwait after Iranian missiles and drones were intercepted (AFP). 
TT

EU-GCC Ministerial Meeting Convenes Thursday to Discuss Iranian Crisis

Life returns to normal in Kuwait after Iranian missiles and drones were intercepted (AFP). 
Life returns to normal in Kuwait after Iranian missiles and drones were intercepted (AFP). 

A European official revealed that the foreign ministers of the European Union and their counterparts from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) are scheduled to hold virtual talks Thursday to discuss the war in the region. The meeting was called for by the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs, Kaja Kallas.

Christophe Farnaud, the EU Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Oman, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the meeting comes at a critical moment for both sides and will provide an opportunity to express solidarity, exchange views and positions, and explore frameworks for joint cooperation.

He added that Iran’s attacks and its violation of the sovereignty of the EU’s partners in the region cannot be justified, stressing the EU’s solidarity with all its Gulf partners.

The European diplomat said the EU’s close engagement with Gulf countries reflects its support for efforts to de-escalate tensions and encourage constructive dialogue.

He continued that both sides must also look ahead, emphasizing that the European Union is committed to strengthening and deepening its strategic partnership with GCC partners, advancing cooperation across all fields, and reinforcing their shared commitment to peace, security, and prosperity.

The virtual meeting, called by Kaja Kallas, comes amid escalating violence in the region following the US-Israeli attack on Iran.

EU foreign ministers had already held an emergency online meeting on Sunday, during which they reviewed the US and Israeli attacks on Iran and the repercussions of the reported assassination of Iran’s Supreme Leader.

They are also seeking to define a unified European position toward the ongoing crisis, while discussing the situation of energy markets, regional stability, and the status of EU citizens in the region.

 

 

 

 



Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
TT

Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei stressed that Hajj pilgrims from his country have been registered regardless of their political and sectarian affiliations.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added that his ministry was dealing with pilgrims from Houthi-held regions as Yemeni citizens and they are offered the same facilitations and services like all other citizens.

The ministry applies justice and equality away from political, partisan, and sectarian slogans, he declared. “Hajj is about worship, not slogans,” said the minister.

The ministry hopes that all pilgrims will be able to perform the Hajj smoothly and at ease, and that they return home safely.

Al-Wadaei revealed that 21,098 Yemeni’s have been registered to perform this year’s Hajj.

Moreover, he praised the facilitations that were offered to Yemeni pilgrims and the warm welcome they were accorded in Saudi Arabia.

He noted that their entry to the Kingdom, whether by land or air, was smooth, reflecting the facilitations offered by local authorities.

He hoped that God Almighty will bless the Kingdom, its leadership and people for the efforts they have invested in making the Hajj a smooth journey.

The Yemeni pilgrims have hailed the smooth measures and warm welcome from the moment they arrived in the Kingdom, saying the services have eased the burdens of travel and demonstrated Saudi generosity and hospitality.

The integrated and advanced border services and procedures have ensured that pilgrims from Yemen are registered in a short time and in an organized manner.

Upon their arrival at the Wadiah border crossing, the Yemeni pilgrims are welcomed with a variety of services, such as guidance, warm meals, cold and hot beverages, and souvenir gifts of their journey.


Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)

The Saudi leadership extended condolences to Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and to Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, over the passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Malik Al-Sabah, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent separate cables extending deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the Kuwaiti Emir, the Crown Prince and the family of the deceased.


Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, participated in a joint phone call on Saturday with the US President and several leaders of Arab and Islamic countries, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The phone conversation included US President Donald Trump, King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, King of Jordan Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, President of Egypt Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir.

During the call, the leaders reviewed the latest regional developments, expressing deep appreciation for President Trump's leadership and his commitment to consultation and coordination with regional leaders.

They also acknowledged the mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the endeavors of the State of Qatar, which are aimed at reaching an agreement to halt escalation and bolster regional security and stability.