Brazil Score Twice Late on to Beat Croatia 3-1 in World Cup Tune-up

Igor Thiago of Brazil celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the international friendly match between Brazil and Croatia at Camping World Stadium on March 31, 2026 in Orlando, Florida. (Getty Images/AFP)
Igor Thiago of Brazil celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the international friendly match between Brazil and Croatia at Camping World Stadium on March 31, 2026 in Orlando, Florida. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Brazil Score Twice Late on to Beat Croatia 3-1 in World Cup Tune-up

Igor Thiago of Brazil celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the international friendly match between Brazil and Croatia at Camping World Stadium on March 31, 2026 in Orlando, Florida. (Getty Images/AFP)
Igor Thiago of Brazil celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the international friendly match between Brazil and Croatia at Camping World Stadium on March 31, 2026 in Orlando, Florida. (Getty Images/AFP)

Brazil beat Croatia 3-1 in ‌a World Cup warm-up in Orlando on Tuesday, with Igor Thiago converting a late penalty and Gabriel Martinelli adding a stoppage-time goal to seal the win.

The match at Camping World Stadium served as Brazil's final chance to assess their options before coach Carlo Ancelotti names his World Cup squad, while it marked their first meeting with Croatia since their quarter-final defeat at Qatar 2022.

"We know the process has been difficult for everyone. We know we need to improve a lot of things, but we’re a powerhouse of players," Casemiro told Brazilian broadcaster Globo.

"We’ll come back strong and give it our all ‌at the ‌World Cup... We know that expectations are always very ‌high ⁠for the national ⁠team and we have to rise to that challenge."

Brazil, who lost 2-1 to France last week, dominated possession from the outset and created their first clear chance in the 20th minute when Danilo’s effort was blocked by Dominik Livakovic.

The Croatian goalkeeper denied Joao Pedro with a low save before producing an outstanding stop to keep out Matheus Cunha as Brazil continued to press.

Croatia ⁠offered little in response, with Andrej Kramaric’s tame effort ‌comfortably gathered by Bento, who later made ‌a fine save to deny Luka Vuskovic’s header.

Brazil finally made their pressure count shortly ‌before halftime. Matheus Cunha released Vinicius Jr, who drove forward past ‌three defenders before setting up Danilo for a composed first-time finish.

Croatia had more of the ball after the break and equalized in the 84th minute when Lovro Majer slipped between defenders to meet Toni Fruk's cross and guide the ball past ‌goalkeeper Bento.

The equalizer sparked Brazil into action and they restored their lead four minutes later when Thiago converted ⁠from the penalty ⁠spot after Endrick was brought down in the box.

Martinelli then sealed the win in stoppage time with a low finish.

"Being here today is the biggest achievement of my life," Thiago said, after earning his first call-up to the national team following an outstanding season with Brentford.

"I want to thank the coach. I know how difficult it is with so many quality players in my position."

Brazil will face Egypt in a friendly in June before kicking off their World Cup campaign in Group C against Morocco. Croatia have two more friendlies, against Belgium and Slovenia, before facing England in their Group L opener.

The World Cup runs from June 11 to July 19 and is being co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico.



Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
TT

Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

In an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans, Real Madrid officially presented coach José Mourinho on Tuesday.

The event took place at the club's headquarters in Madrid, with president Florentino Pérez welcoming the coach. The only images of the presentation were provided by Real Madrid TV and the club's website and social media accounts.

“I'm one of you,” Mourinho said in a message to fans in a video released by the club. “And not just today, but since I arrived in 2010 and after I left in 2013, always with you. ... To return to Real Madrid is to return home.”

Madrid said the coach was signed for three seasons until June 30, 2029.

After the signing, Madrid said Mourinho received a replica of the stadium, a watch and a jersey with his name.

Madrid has been revamped after a second consecutive season without a major title. In addition to Mourinho, who replaced Álvaro Arbeloa, the club also brought in players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham will lead the squad again as it tries to keep Barcelona from winning a third straight La Liga title. Mourinho was hired in June and officially took over in July at the start of the preseason.

He is back for a second stint with Madrid some 13 years after he left the club. He was in charge from 2010-13, winning a Spanish league and a Copa del Rey. He was more remembered for his confrontational personality that ended up splitting his own squad and alienating all but the most hardcore fans, as well as a large part of the local media.


Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027
TT

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

The Esports Foundation has postponed the inaugural Esports Nations Cup (ENC) in Riyadh from November 2026 to November 2027, following an ongoing regional assessment, consultations with key partners, and a commitment to match the high expectations of players, national teams, publishers, partners, and fans across more than 100 participating countries and territories.

The foundation affirmed that Saudi Arabia remains a safe, stable, and welcoming host for international sports and entertainment. It stressed that its commitment to staging the tournament and supporting the national esports ecosystem is unchanged, SPA reported.

All commitments under the ENC Development Fund and its programs remain fully active, with ongoing stakeholder coordination to manage the revised timeline.

Esports Foundation CEO Ralf Reichert noted that while the decision was not taken lightly, the positive global response underscores the event's immense potential. He emphasized the foundation's responsibility to deliver the inaugural edition under optimal conditions, confirming that investments in national partners, publisher collaborations, and national team ecosystems will continue unabated.

The global tournament aims to elevate the esports sector, create player pathways, advance national teams, and foster national identity.

In the coming weeks, the foundation will coordinate with stakeholders to clarify the revised schedule, qualifying rounds, and related operational details.


Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
TT

Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)

Back-to-back champions ‌Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia will take on 2024 winners Al-Ain of the United Arab Emirates in the league phase of the Asian Champions League Elite after the draw for the expanded competition was conducted in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

Al-Ahli, now coached by Marino Pusic after Matthias Jaissle left to join Newcastle United, will also play Qatari trio Al-Sadd, Al-Shamal and Al-Gharafa as well ‌as Emirati ‌sides Shabab Al-Ahli and Al-Wasl plus ‌Uzbekistan's ⁠Neftchi and Pakhtakor.

The ⁠league phase has been increased from 24 to 32 teams with the opening round to commence on September 14 and finish on February 17.

Japan's Kashima Antlers, the last team from east Asia playing in the current edition to have ⁠won the title, will face twice winners ‌Jeonbuk Motors from ‌South Korea, as well as Thai sides Buriram United, Port ‌FC and Ratchaburi FC.

The J-League side will ‌also take on tournament debutants Cong An Ha Noi from Vietnam, Daejeon Citizen and Pohang Steelers from South Korea, and Australian champions Newcastle Jets.

Clubs in the west ‌and east of the continent are divided into separate groups of 16 ⁠teams for ⁠the league phase, with the top eight finishers on each side advancing to the knockout rounds.

Those last 16 matches will also be held on a regional basis with the four victorious teams from the two sides of the confederation advancing to the centralized finals, which will be played for the third year in a row in Saudi Arabia.

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1.