Iran Threatens Energy Security with Attacks on Gulf Oil Tankers

Saudi Arabia possesses one of the most advanced missile defense systems in the world (Saudi Ministry of Defense). 
Saudi Arabia possesses one of the most advanced missile defense systems in the world (Saudi Ministry of Defense). 
TT

Iran Threatens Energy Security with Attacks on Gulf Oil Tankers

Saudi Arabia possesses one of the most advanced missile defense systems in the world (Saudi Ministry of Defense). 
Saudi Arabia possesses one of the most advanced missile defense systems in the world (Saudi Ministry of Defense). 

Iran escalated its military operations in the region on Wednesday, targeting Gulf states and oil tankers in regional waters in attacks widely seen as a direct threat to energy security and international navigation.

Gulf air defenses intercepted dozens of missiles and drones, with officials stressing a high level of readiness to protect airspace and critical infrastructure while minimizing damage.

Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia’s defense ministry spokesman, Brigadier General Turki al-Maliki, said four drones had been intercepted and destroyed in recent hours.

In two separate statements, al-Maliki confirmed the success of the operations, underscoring the armed forces’ readiness to defend the Kingdom’s airspace and counter various threats, with no damage reported.

Riyadh also reiterated its strong condemnation of what it described as “blatant Iranian aggression” against the Kingdom, Arab states and the wider region during the 43rd session of the Council of Arab Interior Ministers, held via videoconference.

Interior Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud stressed the importance of strengthening Arab security cooperation and coordinating efforts to confront evolving threats and combat crime in all its forms to safeguard regional stability.

Kuwait

A drone attack by Iran and allied groups targeting fuel tanks at the Kuwait International Airport triggered a large fire on Wednesday but caused no casualties.

Kuwait News Agency quoted civil aviation spokesman Abdullah al-Rajhi as saying rescue teams responded immediately, with initial reports indicating material damage to facilities operated by Kuwait Aviation Fueling Company (KAFCO).

Britain affirmed its support for Kuwait’s security amid the current situation, pledging to stand by the country against any threats to its sovereignty, stability and safety.

The message was conveyed from King Charles III to Kuwait’s emir, Sheikh Mishal al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah, and delivered by British ambassador Qudsi Rasheed to Minister of Amiri Diwan Affairs Sheikh Hamad Jaber al-Ali al-Sabah.

Bahrain

Bahrain’s Defense Force said it intercepted and destroyed four ballistic missiles and 19 drones in recent hours.

The General Command added that since the start of the Iranian attacks, 186 missiles and 419 drones had been intercepted. It said the use of such weapons against civilian sites and private property constitute a “flagrant violation” of international humanitarian law and the UN Charter and pose a direct threat to regional peace and security.

The interior ministry said firefighters had extinguished a blaze at a company facility caused by what it described as Iranian aggression.

Bahrain’s National Communication Center urged the public to follow official guidance, verify information accuracy and avoid spreading rumors amid the ongoing attacks.

United Arab Emirates

The United Arab Emirates said its air defenses intercepted five ballistic missiles and 35 drones launched from Iran.

Falling debris from an intercepted drone killed an Asian national on a farm in Fujairah, authorities said. The victim was identified as a Bangladeshi citizen.

The Fujairah government media office said emergency teams responded to the incident in the Al-Rifaa area following the successful interception.

Official figures showed that since the start of the attacks, UAE defenses had dealt with 438 ballistic missiles, 19 cruise missiles and 2,012 drones. The assaults have killed two members of the armed forces while on duty, a Moroccan civilian contractor working with the military, and nine other civilians.

Qatar and maritime incidents

Qatar’s defense ministry said the country had been targeted by three Iranian cruise missiles. Air defenses intercepted two, while the third struck an oil tanker chartered by QatarEnergy in the country’s exclusive economic zone.

Authorities coordinated the evacuation of the vessel, which carried a crew of 21, with no casualties reported.

In a related development, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations reported a new security incident in Gulf waters.

According to the organization, the incident occurred 17 nautical miles north of Ras Laffan. A company security officer said the tanker was hit on its port side, causing damage above the waterline without injuries among the crew.

In a later update, the organization said the vessel had in fact been struck twice. One impact caused a fire that was later extinguished, while a second projectile remained unexploded in the engine room, with authorities working to secure it and investigate the incident.

On Tuesday, Iran targeted the Kuwaiti crude oil tanker “Al-Salmi” while it was anchored off the United Arab Emirates outside Dubai port. Several vessels in the Strait of Hormuz were also attacked using armed boats, missiles and drones.

 

 



Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call on Saturday from Egypt's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Emigration and Egyptian Expatriates Dr. Badr Abdelatty.

They discussed the latest regional developments and agreed to maintain bilateral coordination and consultation on these issues.


Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
TT

Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi said that the GCC member states consistently seek to enhance security, stability, development, and prosperity to serve the mutual interests of the region's peoples and the entire world.

This comes in light of the rapid geopolitical shifts as well as growing security and economic challenges facing the globe, according to SPA.

During his participation in a panel session on GCC-European strategic links, held today in the Czech capital, Prague, on the sidelines of the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026, the GCC secretary-general said: "The GCC General Secretariat’s participation in the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026 embodies its keenness to maintain an active presence in regional and international forums. This engagement aims to bolster communication and exchange perspectives with international partners, decision-makers, and experts, thereby supporting efforts to maintain regional and international security while keeping pace with rapid global changes."

He also pointed out that the region has recently witnessed several events that have heavily impacted security and stability, adding that the GCC states have sustained their continuous diplomatic efforts to de-escalate and defuse tensions in the region, promoting paths of dialogue and diplomacy to protect regional security, stability, and the safety of its peoples.

The GCC secretary-general underscored the paramount importance of protecting the security of air and maritime corridors, ensuring freedom of navigation, the safety of supply chains, and the stability of global energy market.

"The stability of the Gulf region remains a fundamental pillar for the stability of the global economy and international maritime security," he reiterated.

Albudaiwi explained that recent developments have proven that the security of Europe and the Middle East has become unprecedentedly interconnected, asserting that any disruption in the Gulf region and its surrounding maritime passages directly affects the European economy, global energy security, supply chains, and international stability as a whole. He stressed that Gulf stability is no longer merely a regional matter, but has become a shared international interest.

Discussing the future of Gulf-European relations, Albudaiwi mentioned that both sides aspire to elevate their ties to broader horizons.

He added that the upcoming GCC-EU Summit will contribute to cementing cooperation across numerous fields and achieving the mutual interests of both parties, emphasizing the significance of reaching tangible results that serve both sides and elevate their ongoing cooperation.


Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
TT

Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)

Saudi Arabia said it would not allow the Hajj to be used for any activity that strays from its religious purpose, as more than 1.5 million pilgrims arrived from abroad by Friday afternoon.

He made his statement during a press conference by Hajj security commanders at the Unified Security Operations Center (911) in the Makkah region.

Officials outlined security, traffic, and organizational plans for this year’s holy pilgrimage, along with related instructions and guidelines.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami, director of Public Security, said the Hajj security system was fully ready to carry out its duties.

“Our goal is for pilgrims to reach their destination, perform their rituals, and return home safely,” he stressed.

Al-Bassami said crowd management plans focused on regulating pilgrim flows and minimizing overlap between routes. Technology, he said, was playing a key role alongside security personnel on the ground.

He said authorities were prepared for various scenarios based on risk assessments, following extensive drills and field exercises to test the readiness of all security agencies.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Omari, commander of the Special Emergency Forces at the Presidency of State Security, described the security plans as “integrated, proactive and flexible.” He said security forces were deployed in the central area and the holy sites to protect pilgrims.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Hammoud Al-Faraj, director general of Civil Defense, said preparations for the Hajj season were complete.

“We trained all bodies involved in serving pilgrims on self-protection,” he said, adding that male and female volunteers were working alongside Civil Defense personnel across all tasks and operations.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Saleh Al-Murabba, commander of the Passports Forces for Hajj, said the “Makkah Route” initiative accounted for 30% of arriving pilgrims. He said 1,518,153 pilgrims had arrived from outside Saudi Arabia by Friday afternoon.