Iranian Attacks Target Energy Facilities in Kuwait, UAE

Mina al-Ahmadi refinery in Kuwait (KUNA) 
Mina al-Ahmadi refinery in Kuwait (KUNA) 
TT

Iranian Attacks Target Energy Facilities in Kuwait, UAE

Mina al-Ahmadi refinery in Kuwait (KUNA) 
Mina al-Ahmadi refinery in Kuwait (KUNA) 

Iranian attacks struck key energy infrastructure in Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates on Friday, prompting air defense responses across the Gulf and causing casualties and material damage, authorities said.

In Kuwait, drones targeted the Mina al-Ahmadi refinery as well as a power generation and water desalination plant. In Abu Dhabi, operations were suspended at the Habshan gas facilities after debris fell following a successful interception, officials said. The incident killed an Egyptian resident and injured four others from Egypt and Pakistan, and sparked two fires.

Emirates Global Aluminium said it shut down its Al Taweelah site — one of the world’s largest aluminum production complexes — after it sustained severe damage in what it described as Iranian missile and drone attacks.

The incidents come amid Gulf efforts to repel Iranian strikes targeting energy installations and vital infrastructure, which have caused injuries and limited material damage.

Saudi air defenses intercepted and destroyed 14 drones on Friday, according to defense ministry spokesman Major General Turki al-Maliki.

Kuwait

Kuwait’s defense ministry spokesman Colonel Saud al-Atwan said seven ballistic missiles, two cruise missiles and 26 hostile drones were detected in the country’s airspace over a 24-hour period.

Interior ministry spokesman Brigadier Nasser Bousleib said nine reports of falling debris were recorded in the same period, bringing the total since the start of the Iranian attacks to 649. Warning sirens were activated five times in 24 hours, for a total of 164 activations since the attacks began.

Kuwait Petroleum Corporation said the Mina al-Ahmadi refinery was hit by drones early Friday, causing fires in several operational units. Emergency and firefighting teams were deployed immediately and were working to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading. No casualties were reported, the company underlined.

It added that precautionary measures were taken to ensure worker safety and protect facilities, and that coordination was ongoing with environmental authorities to monitor air quality. No negative environmental impact had been recorded so far.

The electricity and water ministry said one of its power generation and water desalination plants sustained material damage, according to spokeswoman Fatima Hayat, adding that technical teams were working to maintain operations.

Meanwhile, National Guard spokesman Brigadier Jadaan Fadhel denied reports circulating on social media of a possible radiation leak, saying readings in the country’s airspace and territorial waters remained within normal levels. He told state news agency KUNA that monitoring systems were operating around the clock.

United Arab Emirates

The UAE said its air defenses intercepted 18 ballistic missiles, four cruise missiles and 47 drones launched from Iran on Friday, bringing the totals since the start of the attacks to 475 ballistic missiles, 23 cruise missiles and 2,085 drones.

The defense ministry said the attacks had killed two members of the armed forces and a Moroccan civilian contractor, as well as eight others of various nationalities.

A total of 203 people have been injured since the attacks began, with injuries ranging from minor to severe.

The Abu Dhabi Media Office said authorities dealt with debris falling at the Habshan gas facilities after a successful interception, prompting a temporary suspension of operations and a fire at the site.

It later said an Egyptian resident was killed during the evacuation, while four others — two Egyptians and two Pakistanis — were injured. Two fires broke out but were brought under control by emergency response teams. The office said the incident caused significant damage to facilities, with assessments ongoing.

In a separate incident, debris fell in the Ajban area, injuring six Nepalese residents and five Indians, with one Nepalese sustaining serious injuries.

Emirates Global Aluminium said its Al Taweelah complex in Khalifa Economic Zone Abu Dhabi (KEZAD) suffered severe damage, triggering a full emergency shutdown of operations, including the aluminum smelter, casting facilities, power plant, alumina refinery and recycling plant.

The company said restoring full primary aluminum production could take up to 12 months, depending on damage assessments, while some operations at the alumina refinery and recycling plant may resume earlier.

Bahrain

Bahrain’s National Communication Center said 16 drones targeting the country were intercepted and destroyed over 24 hours, bringing the total since the start of Iranian attacks to 188 missiles and 445 drones.

The Bahrain Defense Force said targeting civilian sites and private property with ballistic missiles and drones constituted a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and the UN Charter, warning the attacks posed a direct threat to regional peace and security.

Authorities urged residents to remain indoors except when necessary, avoid damaged areas and suspicious objects, refrain from filming military operations or debris sites, and rely on official sources for information.

The interior ministry said four Bahraini citizens sustained minor injuries and homes were damaged in the Sitra area due to falling debris from an intercepted Iranian drone. Civil defense and ambulance services were responding at the scene.

Qatar

Qatar’s defense ministry said the country was targeted by several Iranian drones, all of which were successfully intercepted.

The environment and climate change ministry said air quality remained within normal and safe limits and was being continuously monitored through a nationwide network.

In a post on platform X, the ministry advised precautionary measures during periods of increased fine particulate matter, including staying indoors — especially for vulnerable groups — keeping windows closed, wearing masks when outside and avoiding outdoor activities.

 

 

 



UAE Halts All Trade, Financial Dealings with Iran after Attack

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

UAE Halts All Trade, Financial Dealings with Iran after Attack

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The United Arab Emirates has said it is suspending all trade and financial dealings with Iran after reporting an Iranian missile attack directed at its ships.

The announcement comes after a period of relative calm in the UAE, with no Iranian missiles aimed at the country since May after it bore the brunt of attacks in the early weeks of the Middle East war.

Abu Dhabi has however accused Tehran of repeatedly targeting its tankers at sea in recent weeks.

"In light of regional escalations... all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice," said UAE foreign ministry communications director Afra Al Hameli.

The UAE is home to a sizeable Iranian community and has been a major trading partner for US-sanctioned Iran, at least before the war.

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict.

- Navigation -

Abu Dhabi on Tuesday accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles towards the country, the first such attack since May.

It later said the salvo was directed at shipping, but Tehran denied firing missiles at the UAE.

"UAE air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards the country, with the first falling outside the country's territorial waters, while the second fell within the territorial waters," the UAE ministry said in a statement posted to social media.

A second statement released later said the missiles "were targeting maritime navigation and fell into the sea".

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei "categorically rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile towards that country", calling it harmful to regional trust and security efforts.

The first UAE statement came nearly two hours after a phone alert that warned residents of a "potential missile threat".

It was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory.

Before that, the last missile warning came in early May.

However, tankers belonging to the UAE's state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks.

When the Middle East war began on February 28, the UAE bore the brunt of Iran's attacks, with nearly 3,000 missiles and drones directed at the country -- more than anywhere else in the region.

After a memorandum of understanding between Iran and the United States came into effect in June, which has since collapsed, the UAE reported no attacks, unlike other Gulf states.


MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned on Tuesday the Israeli airstrikes targeting Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase, saying they are a violation of all international laws and norms.

In a statement, MWL Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa slammed “the aggression against the sovereignty and resources of Syria”, reiterating the league's “full solidarity” with the country in confronting threats to its security, sovereignty and people.

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi also strongly condemned the attack.

“The brutal Israeli targeting of Syrian territory is an unacceptable violation of its sovereignty and territorial sanctity, contradicting international rules and norms that prohibit infringing upon state sovereignty,” he said.

Such continued practices raise tension and escalation and undermine regional and international efforts aimed at achieving security and stability in the region, he warned.

Albudaiwi called on the international community to assume its responsibilities, take a firm stance against these violations, and work to halt Israeli attacks on Syrian territory to safeguard its security and stability.

He reiterated the GCC states' solidarity with Syria, and support for its sovereignty and territorial integrity.


Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia strongly condemned on Tuesday Israeli airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport.

A Foreign Ministry statement said the Kingdom slammed the attack as a “flagrant violation of international law and Syria's sovereignty.”

“The Kingdom stresses its rejection of this blatant act of aggression and renews its call on the international community to put an end to Israel’s violations of international laws and norms,” it demanded.

It reiterated its solidarity with Syria and “support for all efforts aimed at safeguarding its sovereignty, preserving the integrity and unity of its territory, and achieving security and stability for the brotherly Syrian people.”