Ukraine Regains Control of Frontline Areas in Southeast and East, Army Chief Says

 A serviceman of the 154th Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces attends a military exercise between combat missions, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Zaporizhzhia region, Ukraine April 4, 2026. (Reuters)
A serviceman of the 154th Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces attends a military exercise between combat missions, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Zaporizhzhia region, Ukraine April 4, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Ukraine Regains Control of Frontline Areas in Southeast and East, Army Chief Says

 A serviceman of the 154th Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces attends a military exercise between combat missions, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Zaporizhzhia region, Ukraine April 4, 2026. (Reuters)
A serviceman of the 154th Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces attends a military exercise between combat missions, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Zaporizhzhia region, Ukraine April 4, 2026. (Reuters)

Ukraine has regained control of ‌480 sq. km (185 sq. miles) of territory in the southeastern and eastern parts of the front since late January, its army chief Oleksandr Syrskyi said, adding that Russia was continuing its spring offensive.

After visiting the frontline, Syrskyi said that Ukraine had returned control over eight settlements in the Dnipropetrovsk region in the east and four settlements in the southeastern Zaporizhzhia region.

Despite Ukraine's successes, Russian troops were pressing ahead with a spring offensive, he said.

"Russian troops are not abandoning their plans for further offensive operations and are ‌regrouping their available ‌forces and equipment," Syrskyi said on the Telegram ‌app ⁠late on Sunday. "Despite ⁠significant losses in personnel and military equipment, the invaders aim to seize more Ukrainian territory and establish a ‘buffer zone’ in the Dnipropetrovsk region."

The Ukrainian troops maintained defense lines, he said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said last week that the frontline situation for Ukraine was the best since the middle of last year.

KYIV COUNTER ATTACKS ⁠DISRUPT RUSSIAN PLANS

Military analysts said that Ukrainian ‌counter attacks in the southeast of ‌the country were helping to disrupt Russian efforts around Pokrovsk in the ‌eastern Donetsk region, and overall, the Russian spring offensive along ‌more than 1,200 kilometers of the frontline.

"Ukrainian counter attacks in the Hulyaipole and Oleksandrivka directions continue to present the Russian military command with dilemmas that overstretched Russian forces appear challenged to meet," the Washington-based non-profit Institute for ‌the Study of War said in a daily report on Monday.

Russian troops continued to gain ⁠ground in ⁠the eastern Donetsk region, pressing on in the north of Pokrovsk, a key logistics hub, Russian state media quoted Russia's defense ministry as saying last week.

The battle for Pokrovsk has raged on since mid-2024 as Russia seeks to consolidate its control of the Donetsk region.

Syrskyi said he also visited the Pokrovsk area and ordered additional ammunition and other supplies to strengthen the Ukrainian troops there.

With the diplomatic efforts to end the war stalled, Ukraine has also intensified its long-range strike campaign against Russian oil infrastructure. Over the past two weeks, Ukrainian troops targeted Russian Baltic sea ports and oil infrastructure in the Leningrad region.



Trump Says Will Meet North Korea's Kim Later this Year

FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
TT

Trump Says Will Meet North Korea's Kim Later this Year

FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he would meet Kim Jong Un later this year, seeking to revive the bond he claims to have forged with the leader of nuclear-armed North Korea in his first term.

Trump told reporters at the White House it was important to "get along" with Kim, adding in an unusually precise assessment that Pyongyang now had 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons, said AFP.

But Trump's sudden focus on Kim and his scaling back of joint US-South Korean military drills have alarmed Asian allies -- while sparking speculation that he is seeking a foreign policy win as his Iran war stalls.

"Yeah, I will be," Trump said during a tour of a new helipad at the White House, when asked if he planned to meet Kim later in 2026.

Trump defended planning to meet the North Korean leader even as he wages a war with Iran that he has justified on the grounds of preventing Tehran from getting a nuclear bomb.

"He has 57 very powerful nuclear weapons. Should have never allowed it to happen... If I were president, I wouldn't have allowed it," Trump said, referring to Kim.

"But he's got them. I get along with him very well. I can't let Iran have a nuclear weapon. And I know Kim Jong Un very well, and he's going to be fine."

Trump gave no details, but the Wall Street Journal reported that he was eying a meeting when he travels to Shenzhen, China for an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in November.

Hours later, South Korea's defense minister said Thursday that North Korea is estimated to have around 80 to 120 nuclear weapons.

"We usually estimate it to be around 80 to 120," Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers, declining to give a specific figure.

He said Seoul remained opposed to officially recognizing the North as a nuclear weapons state.

Asked whether Washington had "given up" on North Korea's denuclearization, Ahn said he did not believe so.

President Lee Jae Myung - who has long pushed for stronger homegrown defenses to reduce South Korea's reliance on the US -- said late Wednesday he would "do his utmost" to support and contribute to Trump's peacemaking efforts with the North.

- 'Very insulting' -

While acknowledging Pyongyang possesses nuclear weapons, the US does not officially recognize North Korea as a nuclear state and it is unusual for a president to publicly offer such a specific assessment of its stockpiles.

But Trump's mention of North Korea having 57 nuclear weapons is in line with previous assessments by the US government and think tanks that Pyongyang had an arsenal of 50 to 60.

After initially mocking Kim as "rocket man" and threatening "fire and fury" against North Korea, Trump met the North Korean leader three times during his first term. Their last meeting was in 2019.

Trump said they "fell in love" after exchanging "beautiful letters" -- but the headline-grabbing summits produced few tangible developments on the nuclear issue and they haven't yet met in Trump's second term.

Yet Trump has now pushed the issue back up the agenda since suddenly announcing on Sunday that he had ordered Washington to scale back "hostile" military drills with Seoul, citing his relationship with Kim.

Trump said on Wednesday that the drills were "very insulting" to Kim and that the North Korean leader -- the third generation of a totalitarian dynasty that has ruled the country for nearly 80 years -- had been "very well behaved."

- 'Completely unaware' -

The powerful sister of Kim Jong Un said Wednesday she didn't know about the reported communication between her brother and Trump.

"Regarding the recent news from Washington about communication between the leaders of North Korea and the United States, I am completely unaware of it," Kim Yo Jong said in a statement.

Kim Yo Jong nevertheless said her brother still had "good memories and feelings" about Trump and that the relationship between the two leaders remains "excellent."

Her statement came hours after Seoul announced the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises with the United States would end about a week earlier than planned "at the suggestion of the US side."

The Pentagon said the reduced drills would cause "no degradation to US training objectives".

The exercises are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.

Kim Yo Jong, however, dismissed the reduction, saying: "we do not consider it worth commenting on and find it completely uninteresting."

Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.


Iran Goes on Offensive as Diplomacy with US Stalls

Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Iran Goes on Offensive as Diplomacy with US Stalls

Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer

Six months into its war with the United States, Iran's military has begun signaling a shift from retaliation to offence, which analysts say could reflect Tehran's belief it holds leverage to advance its demands and break the stalemate.

Since US-Israeli strikes launched the war on February 28, Tehran has largely portrayed its strikes against the United States, Israel and Gulf countries as revenge for attacks on the Iranian republic.

Now, Iranian officials are openly talking about giving offensive operations a greater priority while keeping control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a key source of leverage against Washington that has disrupted a vital global energy route and driven up energy prices.

Iran's supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei outlined that approach in a reshuffle of top military commanders earlier this month, calling for "strengthening maximum deterrence and preparing to conduct large-scale offensive operations against the enemy".

Last week, a deputy commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards indicated that Tehran was revising its military doctrine to give "offensive operations" strategic priority.

Analyst Sina Toossi of the Center for International Policy believes the shift to offensive operations does not mean Tehran was "adopting a doctrine of preventive war".

Rather, he said, Tehran appears to have concluded that "if confrontation becomes unavoidable, Iran should escalate earlier and more forcefully rather than wait for the United States or Israel to define the terms of the conflict".

Ahmad Zeidabadi, a Tehran-based international relations expert, believes the shift reflects Tehran's assessment of Washington's intentions.

"The Islamic Republic believes the United States has likely ruled out war and now seeks to perpetuate the status quo including the US naval blockade and the economic pressure," he told AFP.

- Iran's calculus -

Diplomatic efforts with the US remain stalled, especially since a June 17 truce collapsed and the US reimposed oil sanctions and the blockade on Iranian ports.

"Iranians believe that diplomacy is doomed to fail in the current climate and that the Americans will not accept their terms," said Zeidabadi.

"Consequently, they may feel compelled to resort to offensive action to force the US to accept Iranian conditions ... and to initiate a new round of negotiations."

Iran suffered heavy losses in the initial bombardment campaign, including the killing of supreme leader Ali Khamenei and senior military commanders, as well as extensive material and economic damage.

But the political system has remained intact, and intense bombardment eventually subsided following an April 8 ceasefire, apart from sporadic exchanges of fire, particularly in and around Hormuz.

The war has since spread across the region to include disruption of shipping in the Red Sea's Bab al-Mandab strait.

"Tehran increasingly believes that American military superiority does not give Washington escalation dominance," said Toossi.

The Strait of Hormuz has become central to that calculus, with Tehran requiring vessels to seek permission and to pay service fees to transit -- a move strongly opposed by Washington and regional countries.

Reopening the strait has become a US priority.

US Vice President JD Vance said last week that "goal number one" was keeping energy prices low for Americans, while preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon ranked second.

A June 17 memorandum of understanding between Tehran and Washington that outlined terms for a truce was a far cry from US President Donald Trump's initial call for Iran's "unconditional surrender".

That truce later collapsed over disagreements primarily over the management of the Hormuz but Iranian officials still tout it as evidence of "victory".

"I can state with conviction that we have won this war in the true sense of the word, both militarily and politically," top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said in a speech last week, while describing the deal as a source of "pride and victory".

- Risk of miscalculation -

An Iranian attack in late July on a US air base and a command center in Jordan has been portrayed on Iranian media as an example of that "preemptive" approach.

For Hossein Kanani-Moghadam, an international relations expert and former general in the Revolutionary Guards, the new strategy could take other forms.

"Such operations could encompass a combination of cyber warfare, psychological warfare, intelligence operations, and economic warfare," he said.

But Tehran's calculus comes with serious risks.

"If this threat is serious ... the outcome of this scenario would be catastrophic for Iran and the region," said Zeidabadi.

Toossi also believes that the strategy "means future crises could escalate much faster".

The broader danger, according to Toossi, is what he described as "reciprocal deterrence trap" with each side responding to the other's attempts to strengthen deterrence as evidence it must escalate further.

"That is a much more unstable strategic environment, even if neither side actually wants another major war," he said.


Visiting Iraq, Iran’s Parliament Speaker Hails ‘New Order’ in the Region

 Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Visiting Iraq, Iran’s Parliament Speaker Hails ‘New Order’ in the Region

 Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)

Iran's parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday stressed the importance of strengthening the "new order" in the region, on the first stop in a three-day visit to Iraq.

Ghalibaf's trip comes at a time when Iraq is facing American pressure to disarm factions close to Tehran, which wields significant political influence in Iraq.

Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi, who took office three months ago with US backing, has pledged to restrict weapons to the control of the state.

Speaking from the site near Baghdad airport where Iranian Revolutionary Guards Quds Force commander general Qassem Soleimani was killed in a 2020 US strike, Ghalibaf said: "Our trip to Iraq today is aimed at strengthening the new order in the region and accelerating the strengthening of cooperation between all countries in the region without foreign interference."

"Resistance in Iraq is... one of the elements of this country's power. Today, resistance has gone beyond the borders of Iran and Iraq... and has become global," he added.

Ghalibaf is scheduled to meet al-Zaidi later on Wednesday and then hold a meeting with the Coordination Framework, the largest bloc in parliament, made up of Shiite parties with varying degrees of proximity to Tehran.

Iraq has been pulled into the Middle East war, with pro-Iran factions have launching attacks on US interests, which Washington has responded to with deadly strikes. Iran has also shelled positions belonging to Iranian Kurdish opposition groups.

Iraq is facing mounting challenges in maintaining a balance between Iran and the United States, and since the US invasion in 2003 it has been an arena of rivalry between the two powers.

Al-Zaidi has given the armed factions -- some of which belong to the Iran’s so-called “Axis of Resistance” -- until September 30 to hand over their weapons to the state, coinciding with the scheduled end of the mission of the US-led coalition against the ISIS group.

Some of the most powerful factions, however, and those closest to Iran, refuse to cooperate.

On Thursday, Ghalibaf will head to the city of Karbala where he will take part in ceremonies marking 40 days since the funeral of former Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in US-Israeli strikes on February 28.