Defending Champion Alcaraz to Miss French Open with Wrist Injury

Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
TT

Defending Champion Alcaraz to Miss French Open with Wrist Injury

Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)

Two-time reigning French Open champion Carlos Alcaraz said on Friday he will not play at this year's tournament as he recovers from a wrist injury.

"We have decided that the most prudent thing to do is to be cautious and not participate in Rome or Roland Garros," Alcaraz said on social media.

"It's a complicated moment for me, but I'm sure we'll come out stronger from this," the Spaniard added, saying that he and his team would monitor his recovery before deciding when and where he would return.

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open last week, where he beat Otto Virtanen but subsequently pulled out of the tournament.

The 22-year-old announced his withdrawal from the Madrid Masters on April 17, increasing concerns over whether he would be able to appear at the French Open.

Alcaraz became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. He holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.

Ranked second in the world, Alcaraz lost top spot following his defeat by Jannik Sinner in the Monte Carlo Masters final on April 12.

The seven-time Grand Slam winner, an expert on clay, triumphed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025. He saved three championship points against Sinner in last year's final.



Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Friday that he and Mohamed Salah both care about the club's success after the Egyptian questioned their style of play in a social media post.

Slot, however, declined to confirm whether the forward, who is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season, would feature in the club's final game of the campaign at Anfield against Brentford on Sunday.

In a post on X, Salah urged the club to rediscover their attacking identity after a painful 4-2 defeat by Aston Villa left Champions League qualification in the balance

"Mo and I have the same interests, we want the best for this club, we want it to be as successful as possible. We were both part of giving our fans their first title for five years, but we are also aware we haven't brought that same level this season," Slot told reporters on Friday.

"What we and I want is for the club to be as successful as last season. And that is where my main focus is on now because the game on Sunday could give us a really good base for next season.

"I never say anything about team selection, so it would be a surprise to you if I did that right now."

Salah, third on Liverpool's all-time top-scorers list, had highlighted the club's inconsistent campaign and called for a return to the aggressive style that brought previous success under former manager Juergen Klopp.

However, the Dutchman said the forward's criticism had not affected the team's training as they prepare to host Brentford.

With one more Champions League spot up for grabs, fifth-placed Liverpool, on 59 points, will aim to maintain their three-point lead and six-goal-difference advantage over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

"I don't think it is important what I feel, what is important is we qualify for the Champions League on Sunday," Slot added.

"So I prepare Mo and the whole of the team in the best possible way, that is what matters. I was very disappointed after our loss against Villa, as a win would've given us Champions League qualification, and now there is one game to go and it is vital for us as a club."

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker resumed training on Friday and is expected to be fit for the final game, Slot said, after being sidelined since mid-March with a hamstring injury.


Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
TT

Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo

Pep Guardiola announced on Friday that he will leave Manchester City at the end of the season after a trophy-laden decade that transformed English football, AFP reported.

Guardiola guided City to 20 trophies, including six Premier League titles and the club's only Champions League, over the past 10 seasons.

The home match against Aston Villa on Sunday will be his final match in charge although he is set to continue working for the City Football Group as a global ambassador.

"What a time we have had together!" Guardiola said in a club statement.

"Don't ask me the reasons I'm leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it's my time.

"Nothing is eternal, if it was, I would be here. Eternal will be the feeling, the people, the memories, the love I have for my Manchester City."

News of the Spaniard's impending departure was first reported on Monday.

At that point, the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss was tight-lipped on his future as City missed out on the Premier League title to Arsenal 24 hours later.

Former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca, who previously worked on Guardiola's staff at City, has been widely reported as the man set to take over at the Etihad.


Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Manchester United have appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager on a contract until 2028, the Premier League club said on Friday, rewarding the former midfielder for the club's turnaround in fortunes in less than half a season.

The 44-year-old Englishman has guided United to 11 victories in 16 matches, including wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, to climb to third in the Premier League and seal a berth in next season's Champions League.

"From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride," Reuters quoted Carrick as saying in ⁠a statement.

"Throughout the ⁠past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.

"Now it's time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose."

Initially appointed on an interim basis to replace Ruben Amorim, the former United midfielder has exceeded expectations and transformed the mood around Old Trafford, with the club's players backing ⁠him for the job.

Carrick, who served as caretaker manager in 2021 following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal, made 464 appearances for United across all competitions, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

His managerial experience includes a mixed stint at second-tier club Middlesbrough, where he initially did well after joining in October 2022 with the Championship side languishing in 21st place.

Carrick quickly turned things around, guiding them to a fourth-placed finish and the playoffs in his first season and they reached the League Cup semi-finals the following campaign.

However, Middlesbrough failed to earn promotion as they finished eighth and 10th in his last two seasons, leading to ⁠his dismissal in ⁠June last year.

United, who have 68 points, are guaranteed to finish third with a game to spare, ending their campaign with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday.

"Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men's team," Jason Wilcox, the club's director of football, said.

"In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club's values, traditions and history.

"Michael's achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build."