Xi to Host 'Old Friend' Putin as China Projects Stable Global Role after Trump Visit

FILE PHOTO: Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin walk at the personal residence of the Chinese leader Zhongnanhai in Beijing, China September 2, 2025. Sputnik/Alexander Kazakov/Pool via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin walk at the personal residence of the Chinese leader Zhongnanhai in Beijing, China September 2, 2025. Sputnik/Alexander Kazakov/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Xi to Host 'Old Friend' Putin as China Projects Stable Global Role after Trump Visit

FILE PHOTO: Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin walk at the personal residence of the Chinese leader Zhongnanhai in Beijing, China September 2, 2025. Sputnik/Alexander Kazakov/Pool via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin walk at the personal residence of the Chinese leader Zhongnanhai in Beijing, China September 2, 2025. Sputnik/Alexander Kazakov/Pool via REUTERS

Chinese leader Xi Jinping is set to host his "old friend" Vladimir Putin less than a week after Donald Trump's high-profile visit, as Beijing seeks to project itself as a stable and predictable power in a world shaken by trade tensions, wars and an energy crisis.

China and Russia have cast Putin's two-day trip this week — his 25th visit to China — as further evidence of their "all-weather" partnership, even as the West urges Beijing to pressure Moscow into ending its war in Ukraine, said Reuters.

While China presents itself as a peace mediator in the conflict and a neutral party, Putin says China and Russia support each other's "core interests" as he pursues additional energy deals with the world's second-largest economy in the face of Western sanctions.

"The Xi-Putin summit will telegraph to the world that the China-Russia strategic partnership remains the cornerstone of both countries' foreign policies and that any attempt by the US to drive a wedge between them is destined to fail," said Ian Storey, principal fellow at the ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute in Singapore.

The visit follows ‌Trump's trip last ‌week, which generated positive optics but few major commercial agreements. Xi described Sino-US ties as a ‌relationship ⁠of "strategic stability," challenging the "strategic ⁠competition" framework associated with former US President Joe Biden.

By hosting foreign leaders, China is seeking to strengthen its image as a pillar of global stability, in contrast to US struggles to end the war in Ukraine and contain a separate conflict with Iran that has disrupted global energy flows.

BEIJING SEEKS TO REASSURE

During state visits, Beijing tries to reassure Western trading partners, including the US, about its rise as an economic and technological power while downplaying risks in their ties.

The White House said after Trump's China visit that a consensus had been reached on issues that will enhance "stability" for global businesses and consumers.

At the same time, China's engagement with countries such as Russia also reinforces its message that its diplomacy ⁠is consistent and not swayed by the actions of strategic partners, despite Western pressure.

"It's unrealistic to expect ‌Xi to put pressure on Putin to end the war in Ukraine. Xi doesn't ‌wield that kind of influence over Putin and in any case the Chinese understand how a defeat for Russia in Ukraine would weaken Putin's political ‌standing," said Storey.

"As such, Beijing will continue to provide Moscow with diplomatic cover at the UN, economic assistance and dual-use technologies for ‌Russia's armed forces," he said.

China says it has never provided lethal weapons to either side of the Russia-Ukraine conflict and that it strictly controls exports of dual-use items.

"During the visit, the two heads of state will exchange views on cooperation across all areas of bilateral relations, as well as on international and regional issues of mutual concern," Guo Jiakun, spokesperson at the Chinese Foreign Ministry, told a regular news conference on Monday.

POWER OF SIBERIA 2 PIPELINE

During ‌Putin's last visit in September 2025, Russia and China agreed to build the Power of Siberia 2 gas pipeline, but have yet to agree on pricing.

Energy supply shortages linked to conflict ⁠in Iran may back Russia's case ⁠for the pipeline as a long-term gas source. Beijing is expected, however, to stick to its diversification strategy by discussing supply deals with both Turkmenistan and Russia, said a Beijing-based industry expert.

China could agree a broad deal with Russia covering annual supply volumes and terms such as supply flexibility and seasonality, while leaving pricing open-ended, said the person, who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the topic.

Price negotiations could take years.

Xi in 2014 announced a fourth pipeline linking Turkmenistan's giant Galkynysh gas field to northwest China, but the project has yet to be finalized due to pricing disputes and complexity involving Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, through which the pipeline transits.

China remains the largest buyer of Russian oil, including pipeline supplies and sea-borne shipments.

Despite Western sanctions on Russia's oil exports, Chinese independent refiners are regular customers, with transactions settled largely in Chinese yuan. State oil refiners also recently resumed purchases following a brief US sanction waiver.

Russia agreed in 2025 to supply an additional 2.5 million metric tons of oil per year to China via Kazakhstan.

"In principle, we have reached a high degree of consensus regarding the taking of a serious — indeed, very substantial — step forward in our cooperation within the oil and gas sectors," Putin told reporters on May 9.

"If we succeed in finalizing them and bringing them to a conclusion during the visit, I will be very pleased."



Australia Says Relations with Israel 'Difficult' after Aid Worker Death

People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
TT

Australia Says Relations with Israel 'Difficult' after Aid Worker Death

People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File

Australia's top diplomat Penny Wong on Thursday said relations with Israel were "difficult" after it dropped a probe into the killing of aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom and her colleagues in Gaza.

Australian national Frankcom was among a group of seven World Central Kitchen staff killed in April 2024 when their aid convoy was hit by an Israeli air strike, said AFP.

Their deaths triggered global outrage and a renewed push to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

Israel's military announced this week that criminal investigations would not be launched into their deaths, sparking outrage from the Australian government.

Foreign Minister Wong summoned Israel's ambassador Hillel Newman over the decision, which she described as "especially insulting and hurtful" as it was announced on World Humanitarian Day.

She has also asked Canberra's envoy in the country to "convey our views directly" to the government there.

Speaking to journalists after meeting with the Israeli envoy, Wong said "we do not have confidence" in the country's investigation into the killings.

"The Australian government will continue to keep pressing Israel for justice," Wong said.

Israel's envoy Newman told journalists in Canberra following their meeting he expressed "deep sorrow and grief" to Frankcom's family.

But he insisted: "Israel had no intention to attack or injure in any way the aid workers that were on the convoy."

"The decision is that there's no criminal liability. We must respect that conclusion," he said.

And he complained there were "a lot of haters of Israel in Australia".

The founder of World Central Kitchen, Jose Andres, said on X that the decision was "wrong and is painful for all of us. There was no excuse for their attacks on our team".

The US-based charity called the decision "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive", and demanded an independent commission to investigate.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu previously said that the military had "unintentionally" killed the volunteers.


Russian Strikes Kill 9 in Kyiv, Surrounding Region

TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TT

Russian Strikes Kill 9 in Kyiv, Surrounding Region

TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)

Russian bombardments killed at least nine people and wounded dozens in Ukraine's capital and its surrounding region overnight, authorities said on Thursday.

The foes have ramped up long-range attacks in recent months, driving up the civilian death toll on both sides in the four-and-a-half-year war, said AFP.

The massive missile attack on Kyiv struck residential areas and warehouses, Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko wrote on Telegram Thursday.

A medical facility and an educational institution were also damaged, according to the city's military administration.

Klitschko later said the death toll in the capital had risen to eight and that 33 people had been wounded.

An attack in the Brovary district of the broader Kyiv region killed one man and wounded another, Kyiv regional governor Tymur Tkachenko said.

"One industrial facility has been damaged. All relevant services are on site, working to extinguish the fire," he added.

Ukraine's air force had warned of Russian "Kalibr" missiles in the vicinity of the village of Kagarlyk within the Kyiv region, heading towards the capital.

The attacks also prompted security responses in neighboring NATO member states.

Poland's military command said it had mobilized aircraft and activated air defenses aimed at protecting Polish airspace, particularly in areas bordering Ukraine.

Romania's defense ministry said radar systems detected aerial targets near the Ukrainian border overnight, prompting the scrambling of two Spanish fighter jets deployed on NATO missions and a Romanian air force helicopter.

The ministry said a drone entered Romanian airspace near Galati before crashing in an unpopulated area in Tulcea county.

Russia also reported a large Ukrainian drone attack.

Moscow's Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 250 drones had flown toward the Moscow region between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, with most destroyed at a significant distance from the capital itself.

"Twenty-eight drones were destroyed in the Moscow region," Sobyanin added.

While Kyiv has faced near-nightly attacks, Ukraine has also escalated its retaliatory strikes on Russia in recent months, in part to attempt to pressure Moscow into coming to the negotiating table to end Europe's deadliest conflict since World War II.


Trump Says Will Meet North Korea's Kim Later this Year

FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
TT

Trump Says Will Meet North Korea's Kim Later this Year

FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters while on Air Force One en route to Oakland County International Airport, July 27, 2026, in Waterford Township, Mich. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he would meet Kim Jong Un later this year, seeking to revive the bond he claims to have forged with the leader of nuclear-armed North Korea in his first term.

Trump told reporters at the White House it was important to "get along" with Kim, adding in an unusually precise assessment that Pyongyang now had 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons, said AFP.

But Trump's sudden focus on Kim and his scaling back of joint US-South Korean military drills have alarmed Asian allies -- while sparking speculation that he is seeking a foreign policy win as his Iran war stalls.

"Yeah, I will be," Trump said during a tour of a new helipad at the White House, when asked if he planned to meet Kim later in 2026.

Trump defended planning to meet the North Korean leader even as he wages a war with Iran that he has justified on the grounds of preventing Tehran from getting a nuclear bomb.

"He has 57 very powerful nuclear weapons. Should have never allowed it to happen... If I were president, I wouldn't have allowed it," Trump said, referring to Kim.

"But he's got them. I get along with him very well. I can't let Iran have a nuclear weapon. And I know Kim Jong Un very well, and he's going to be fine."

Trump gave no details, but the Wall Street Journal reported that he was eying a meeting when he travels to Shenzhen, China for an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in November.

Hours later, South Korea's defense minister said Thursday that North Korea is estimated to have around 80 to 120 nuclear weapons.

"We usually estimate it to be around 80 to 120," Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers, declining to give a specific figure.

He said Seoul remained opposed to officially recognizing the North as a nuclear weapons state.

Asked whether Washington had "given up" on North Korea's denuclearization, Ahn said he did not believe so.

President Lee Jae Myung - who has long pushed for stronger homegrown defenses to reduce South Korea's reliance on the US -- said late Wednesday he would "do his utmost" to support and contribute to Trump's peacemaking efforts with the North.

- 'Very insulting' -

While acknowledging Pyongyang possesses nuclear weapons, the US does not officially recognize North Korea as a nuclear state and it is unusual for a president to publicly offer such a specific assessment of its stockpiles.

But Trump's mention of North Korea having 57 nuclear weapons is in line with previous assessments by the US government and think tanks that Pyongyang had an arsenal of 50 to 60.

After initially mocking Kim as "rocket man" and threatening "fire and fury" against North Korea, Trump met the North Korean leader three times during his first term. Their last meeting was in 2019.

Trump said they "fell in love" after exchanging "beautiful letters" -- but the headline-grabbing summits produced few tangible developments on the nuclear issue and they haven't yet met in Trump's second term.

Yet Trump has now pushed the issue back up the agenda since suddenly announcing on Sunday that he had ordered Washington to scale back "hostile" military drills with Seoul, citing his relationship with Kim.

Trump said on Wednesday that the drills were "very insulting" to Kim and that the North Korean leader -- the third generation of a totalitarian dynasty that has ruled the country for nearly 80 years -- had been "very well behaved."

- 'Completely unaware' -

The powerful sister of Kim Jong Un said Wednesday she didn't know about the reported communication between her brother and Trump.

"Regarding the recent news from Washington about communication between the leaders of North Korea and the United States, I am completely unaware of it," Kim Yo Jong said in a statement.

Kim Yo Jong nevertheless said her brother still had "good memories and feelings" about Trump and that the relationship between the two leaders remains "excellent."

Her statement came hours after Seoul announced the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises with the United States would end about a week earlier than planned "at the suggestion of the US side."

The Pentagon said the reduced drills would cause "no degradation to US training objectives".

The exercises are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.

Kim Yo Jong, however, dismissed the reduction, saying: "we do not consider it worth commenting on and find it completely uninteresting."

Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.