Erbil Stresses it Does Not Want to Get Involved in Conflict with Tehran

A photograph shows a fire at the site of a drone strike in Iraq's northeastern city of Sulaymaniyah in the autonomous Kurdistan region late on March 3, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph shows a fire at the site of a drone strike in Iraq's northeastern city of Sulaymaniyah in the autonomous Kurdistan region late on March 3, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Erbil Stresses it Does Not Want to Get Involved in Conflict with Tehran

A photograph shows a fire at the site of a drone strike in Iraq's northeastern city of Sulaymaniyah in the autonomous Kurdistan region late on March 3, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph shows a fire at the site of a drone strike in Iraq's northeastern city of Sulaymaniyah in the autonomous Kurdistan region late on March 3, 2026. (AFP)

A prominent Kurdish security official denied on Monday the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps’ (IRGC) repeated claims that the Iraqi Kurdistan Region had allowed American weapons shipments to the Iranian Kurdish opposition.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity, the official described the claims as “inaccurate,” adding that “Kurdish authorities in the region do not allow arms shipments or the delivery of any other illicit goods to Iran because that would primarily harm its security and because Kurdistan does not want to become embroiled in a conflict with Iran.”

Such a conflict may have “dangerous” repercussions, he warned. Kurdistan “will not become a party to any regional war.”

At the same time, the official did not rule out the possibility that arms trade groups were carrying out smuggling operations without the knowledge of the authorities.

Kurdish authorities had repeatedly denied over the recent months that weapons were being smuggled to Iran through its territories.

Reports had said that Washington was smuggling weapons into Iran and US President Donald Trump had hinted at support to the opposition in Iran.

The IRGC announced on Monday the thwarting for a “large” American arms smuggling operation from Kurdistan to Iran.

Trump had previously accused a Kurdish party of failing to deliver American weapons that were to be sent to Iranian protesters, expressing his “disappointment” in them.

Washington had “sent some guns with ammunition, and it was supposed to be delivered, but they kept it,” he revealed without disclosing which Kurdish party he was referring to.

Kurdish authorities refuted Trump’s claims.

Excuse to strike Kurdistan

Kifah Mahmoud, media advisor to Kurdistan Democratic Party president Masoud Barzani, strongly denied Iran and the US’ claims about the weapons smuggling.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the claims are being used by Iran as an excuse to carry out almost daily strikes against Kurdish cities or Iranian opposition camps. He accused Tehran and its allied armed factions of launching the attacks.

He denied that the Iranian opposition in Kurdistan was carrying out any “hostile” activities against Tehran, explaining that their camps are supervised by the United Nations.

Kurdish authorities also oppose any hostile acts against Iran being carried out from its territories, he stressed.

Similar to the Kurdish official, he did not deny that arms smuggling operations were taking place between Iran and Iraq.

Furthermore, Kurdistan itself suffers from drugs smuggling operations, which the official authorities have constantly strived to counter, Mahmoud added.

He also dismissed Trump’s claims about the stolen weapons shipment, saying all Kurdish parties have rejected them.



Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
TT

Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)

Syrian security forces have arrested a former Assad-era security officer who fled Austria after being sentenced to eight years in prison for abusing detainees and returned to his hometown in southern Syria, state news agency SANA said on Tuesday night.

Lieutenant Colonel Musab Abu Rukba was arrested in the city of Nawa in Daraa province by internal security forces in coordination ⁠with the counter-terrorism ⁠department, SANA said, citing the security forces.

Abu Rukba had been convicted by a Vienna court last month of bodily harm, aggravated coercion and sexual assault against detained opponents of former President Bashar al-Assad while he headed the police’s criminal investigations department in the northern city of Raqqa more than a ⁠decade ago.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Reuters reported on Friday that Abu Rukba had left Austria while challenging his eight-year sentence on appeal and arrived in Nawa in early August, where his family held a reception to celebrate his return.

SANA said on Tuesday that Abu Rukba had entered Syria illegally after fleeing Austria and that authorities had tracked him down in Nawa. He had been referred to the relevant authorities to complete legal procedures ahead of prosecution, it said.

It was ⁠not immediately ⁠clear what charges Abu Rukba could face in Syria or whether Austria had requested his arrest or extradition.

A spokesperson for the Austrian court that convicted him told Reuters at the time that Abu Rukba had not been considered a flight risk before his trial because he had lived in Austria since 2014 and was seeking asylum there with his family.

He was not held in custody during the trial or subjected to other restrictions, and his departure from Austria did not breach Austrian laws or court orders while the appeals process remained underway, the spokesperson said.


Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military said on Tuesday it had repatriated the remains of Sgt First Class Yehuda Katz, a soldier killed in Lebanon 44 years ago, in a joint operation with the Mossad intelligence agency.

Katz was the last Israeli soldier declared missing in the Sultan Yacoub battle against Syrian forces in eastern Lebanon in 1982.

"His return to Israel was made possible through efforts based on accurate intelligence... that lasted more than four decades," the military said in a statement.

It is not clear where his body was found.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commended the security forces and said that "for many years, I approved numerous clandestine operations to locate the missing soldiers of Sultan Yacoub. I promised their families that we would never stop working to bring them home."

In a separate statement, President Isaac Herzog said that "the circle that remained an open and bleeding wound from the Battle of Sultan Yacoub is finally closed," and that he had kept a photograph of Yehuda Katz hanging in his office as "a daily reminder of our sacred duty to bring our sons home and leave no one behind".

Katz's remains were brought to Israel and identified at an institute for the identification of fallen soldiers under the military rabbinate, the military said.

Three Israeli soldiers had been missing for decades after the Sultan Yacoub battle. In 2019, the military announced the repatriation of the remains of Sgt First Class Zachariah Baumel, while in May 2025 it said it had recovered the body of Sgt First Class Tzvika Feldman "in the heart of Syria".


Lebanon Mulls Removing Restrictions Against 600,000 Syrians

Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
TT

Lebanon Mulls Removing Restrictions Against 600,000 Syrians

Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)

Lebanese authorities began reviewing security restrictions against some 600,000 Syrians in the latest move that reflects Beirut’s desire to open a new chapter in relations with Damascus based on clear security and legal foundations.

The restrictions are among the thorniest issues in Lebanon and that emerged during the wave of Syrian displacement sparked by the civil war. The restrictions led to hundreds of thousands of Syrians being barred entry to Lebanon.

Addressing the issue would pave the way for Lebanese-Syrian relations that are based on security coordination and respect for the law.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that Lebanon’s General Directorate of the General Security has kicked off the legal procedures to lift security restrictions against over 600,000 Syrians that barred their entry to Lebanon for years.

A prominent security source revealed that General Security chief Hassan Choucair has formed a committee that will study the file of Syrians who have security warrants against them that have prevented them from entering Lebanon.

The warrants are tied to residency or entry violations.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that authorities are now examining the file of every Syrian who has been barred entry to Lebanon over residency violations, such as entering Lebanon illegally or violating residency rules or exceeding the duration of their stay.

The source said the committee has already completed tens of thousands of files.

The General Security will issue a statement upon completion of the procedures. It will inform the Syrian authorities of its results.

The move is not limited to building trust between Beirut and Damascus, but it also aims to crack down on people smuggling across the Lebanese-Syrian border.

The latest procedures will allow Syrians to enter Lebanon with their identification papers or through travel agencies as long as they meet the necessary requirements.

Syrians wishing to work in Lebanon must obtain work and legal residency permits from the General Security.

“Lebanon welcomes anyone who wants to reside on its territory as long as they are doing so legally,” said the source.

“Syria is a sisterly country and organizing the movement of people in and out of both countries benefits them both,” he added.